|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ozuma takes place in a future Earth where, due to an increase in temperature of the Sun, the Earth as we know it has dried up and turned into a harsh desert planet. The story follows Sam Coin, a young man that's part of a rag-tag band of sand pirates who dreams of one day catching an "Ozma": one of the legendary giant sand-whales. Along the way, he meets up with the mysterious Maya who's being chased by Theseus army. His act of rescuing her and bringing her onto their ship starts them on an adventure involving fanatical governments, pirates, cool ships and an earth shattering mystery - in other words, it's a typical Matsumoto story, except that it's set on a desert planet instead of in space.
Where series fits in the (or if it is even part of) Leijiverse is as of yet unknown.
- Badass Cape - Worn by Captain Bainas, as is standard for badass ship captains in Matsumoto's works.
- On top of that, she also wears a Scarf of Asskicking.
- Bottle Fairy - the ships medical officer, Dr. Luna. Possibly a Shout-Out to the perpetually drunk Dr. Zero, medical officer of the Arcadia.
- The Captain - Bainas.
- Cool Ship - the Bardanos
- Distaff Counterpart - Bainas is a combination of this to Captain Harlock as well as an Expy of Emeraldas from the same series.
- Also Dr. Luna for Dr. Zero, also from the Harlock shows. Both are medical officers who are never seen without a bottle of alcohol, both also take care of Mii-kun - the ships cat (based on Matsumoto's real life cat).
- The Empire: Theseus.
- Distressed Damsel: Maya.
- Expy: The titular sand-whale, to Moby Dick. See also Reused Character Design below.
- Grand Theft Me: Eventually, to be able to keep on living since cloned bodies no longer work, the people of Theseus start kidnapping natural born Naturas and stealing their bodies.
- Gido himself is an example, having taken over the body of Dick, Sam's older brother (and possibly Bainas' lover). This also leads to his Heel Face Turn at the very end, when getting injured in the head lets Dick back in control of his body.
- Hostage Situation: A rare case where it's the (supposedly) good guys who pull one: Bainas submerges her ship to escape Gido, and while taking Maya in it. Gido plants some under-sand tremor detector and prepare his ships to shoot at the slightest under-sand movement detected. Bainas turns off all the ships-machine to go silent. This makes the ship's interior as hot as oven since the AC is not functioning, and Maya's very weak body can barely endure the heat. This forces Gido to decide whether to abandon the chase without Maya, or wait until Bainas' crew surrender, possibly with a dead Maya on board. In the end Gido decides to let them go.
- Milestone Celebration: The 20th aniversary for Japanese broadcaster WOWOW.
- Mysterious Waif: Maya.
- Noodle People - in an elegant, refined way as is a staple of Matsumoto's art.
- Really 700 Years Old - Maya.
- Reused Character Design - a staple of Matsumoto's works.
- Sand Is Water - Substituting for Space Is an Ocean in Matsumoto's other works.
- Explained by the Bardanos (and other submersible ships and Ozma itself) being able to generate a field that makes sand act like water.
- Sand Worm - the titular Ozma (though it's more of a sand whale than a worm).
- Silent Running Mode - Bainas orders the Bardanos to shut down their main engines to avoid detection by the enemies passive sonar. However, this risks overheating the boat as it prevents them from dissipating heat.
- Sub Story
- Techno Babble: There's lots of it, many of which are real naval terms, and the sand-submerge technology isn't entirely implausible.