|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
OVERCOMPENSATING: The Journal Comic With a Seething Disdain for Reality.—Page Title
Hey. My name is Jeffrey Rowland and I am an actual dude. I used to live in Oklahoma but now I live in Northampton, Massachusetts. I got problems like everybody does. I got a few stories to tell you.
Overcompensating Is the sometimes fiction other times auto-bio web-comic by Jeffrey Rowland. Rowland is also the creator of other web comics When I Grow Up and Wigu Adventures as well as the founder of TopatoCo, a t-shirt company specializing in selling web-comic based merchandise.
The strips feature a collection of characters, some fictitious, some based on people Rowland knows in real life (quite a few are real web-comic creators), with the main character being an Author Avatar. The subject matter of a strip generally falls into the below subjects:
- What happened last night?
- A humorous take on whatever is in the news now.
- Some horrible fad that can't possibly be real, but is.
- Some horrible reality that all humans have to face despite the fact that it's so soul-crushingly horrible it's a wonder we all get out of bed each morning.
If you came here for the other type of overcompensating, the page you want is Compensating for Something.
- Alt Text
- Anthropomorphic Personification The G0D of Internet.
- Art Evolution In the comic itself, also can be compared to When I Grow Up to REALLY see how far Rowland has progressed.
- Author Avatar
- Author Tract: Frequently, and without shame.
- Guest Strip
- God Makes frequent appearances as well as his son.
- God Is Evil Sort of, God and Jesus can be dicks at times. Also they both live in a trailer park for some reason.
- Grotesque Cute - Butt-cats!!
- Hollywood Hacking - Weedmaster P attempts to determine what flight Jeffrey is on in this strip. Possibly played straight, given what Weedmaster P is wearing and part of what he's saying. Possibly averted given that some of what he's saying are actual computer terms including looking for a backdoor. Subverted when Baby finds a note in the toilet with the flight info.
- It Got Worse - This strip, done on purpose with
- Libation for the Dead - Okay, so not a straight example, but there is a Jim Beam-drinking, undead cat from Hell.
- Life Embellished
- Mundane Fantastic - Topato, the flying, super-strong, made-out of poison, potatoes occasionally shows up from his home dimension to yell at Jeffrey.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Part of reality had to be deleted to prevent ALL of reality collapsing. Happens in a cross-over with Wigu Adventures.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot - Robot Monkey Pirate Zombie Mummy Ninja Hobo Cowboy, "the greatest cartoon character in the history of Earth."
- Ramp Jump
- Refuge in Audacity
- Run for the Border - Choices are in short supply with almost any situation involving five gallons of ticks.
- Strawman Political: Hoo boy.
- Take That The site frequently takes shots at society and politics, however this comic attacks neither but still hits Kid Rock, his fans, and Tim Buckley pretty hard.
- Andrew Hussie's brief appearance lightly mocked his workaholicness and his tendency for animation that doesn't particularly add anything to a panel
- With Friends Like These... - Weedmaster P.