|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Otep (sometimes called Ot3p) are a Los Angeles based Nu-metal / Alternative Metal band that was formed in 2000. They are known for their angsty lyrics, downtuned riffs, fierce political commentary, and their lead singer (who is also named Otep) being a woman who screams. She alone is the sole original member.
Otep were discovered by Sharon Osbourne (yes, THAT Sharon Osbourne!) who saw one of their shows and asked them to play Ozzfest before they were even signed. A record deal soon followed as they were signed to Capitol Records in 2001, where they would stay until being signed to Victory in 2009.
Otep Shamaya is an out lesbian and political activist who champions causes such as gay rights, equal treatment for women, animal rights and environmentalism. She also runs the Web sites allshapesallsizes.org, girlsoutnow.org and imnotamonster.org, as well as having her own account on pretty much every social network on the Web. She has also appeared on HBO's Def Poetry.
Not to be confused with Opeth (as they often are).
Their lineup consists of:
- Otep Shamaya - lyrics, vocals
- Markus Estrada - guitar
- Ronnie Sharone - bass
- Gil Sharone - drums
- Dave Aguilera - guitars
- Tarver Marsh - guitars
- Rob Patterson - guitars
- Karma Singh Cheema - guitars
- Jay "eViL j" McGuire - bass
- Brian Wolff - drums
- Mark "Moke" Bistany - drums
- 2001 - Jihad
- 2002 - Sevas Tra
- 2004 - house of Secrets
- 2005 - Wurd Becomes Flesh
- 2007 - The Ascencion
- 2009 - Smash The Control Machine
- 2011 - Atavist
Otep contain examples of:
- Album Title Drop: Every album
- Analogy Backfire: In Adrenochrome Dreams, she describes rows of exocutioners like seventeenth century guillotine henchmen. Not only does she pronounce the word wrong (like gil-oh-teen, not gee-oh-teen) but guillotines were not invented until the eighteenth century. Also, in a recent interview, she described herself as "The agog of the alchemist" which makes no grammatical sense whatsoever. Agog is an adjetive that means "Full of interest or excitement; eager".
- Awesome McCoolname: Though it's authenticity is often debated, you gotta admit the name Otep Shamaya is freakin cool.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Seems to be an underlying theme with most of their songs, but "Jonestown Tea" and "Milk of Regret" are probably the best examples.
- Careful with That Axe
- Chewing the Scenery: Otep really, really likes to engage in this
- YOU WILL KNOW ME BY THE SCAAAAAAARRRRRRRSSSS IIIIII BEEEEEEEAAAAARRRR!!!!
- and so on...
- Cover Version: Of Nirvana's "Breed" and The Doors' "Not To Touch the Earth"
- Digital Piracy Is Evil: Otep Shamaya has stated in an interview that piracy is a cancer to the music industry.
- Dream Team: With Emilie Autumn, on "Ur A WMN Now". And the Fandom Rejoiced.
- Also, Joey Jordison did the drums for the album House of Secrets.
- Harsh Vocals
- I Am the Band: Well, it is called Otep...
- Lipstick Lesbian: Otep is more of a Chapstick lesbian, but there are pictures of her wearing dresses and nice hairstyles.
- Metal Scream: One of the most popular female examples.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Usually around an 8. This is quite high for a nu metal band, as most bands in the genre are around a 6 or 7. The vocals are a big part of it.
- New Sound Album: The Ascencion was supposed to be a step away from metal. Subsequent albums returned to the genre.
- Protest Song: Lots. "Warhead" is pobably the most popular.
- Purple Prose: Not just in her songs, but in her interviews and blog posts as well.
- Revolving Door Band: See the lineup in the main descripion. And thats not including all the session and touring musicians that have been in. Otep has had more musicians come and go than McDonald's has hamburger patties.
- Soprano and Gravel: Both done by Shamaya.
- Stage Names: eViL j and Moke.
- Subverted with Otep, as she claims it's her real name.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The band is sometimes called OT3P, and many of their songs like "Blood Pigs" and "Ur a Wmn Now" have them in their lyrics.