|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Mai: Hey buddy, watch where you're walking! Didn't you see the red light!Duke: Yea. But I figured it was just because I was surrounded by hoes. Oh no I didn't!
Oh no you didn't, oh no you didn't,You didn't pay me what you owe me, so now it's over for you!
Oh no you didn't, oh no you didn't...
Didn't you, oh no.
—Theme of Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
A Stock Phrase used to express incredulity. It happens when somebody says or does something completely outrageous, rude or over the line especially if it wasn't called for. Sometimes a person can say it himself (as in the above quote) to emphasize how much his diss must have stung.
Often pronounced "Oh no you di-unt!" especially by Sassy Black Women.
- A few years back, there was a commercial for Kool-Aid featuring a young black girl opening her own lemonade stand, and reacts this way when she sees a neighborhood rival open a conveniently more successful stand across the street. She used the di'n't pronunciation initially, but because of the Unfortunate Implications associated with this, her voice saying the full pronunciation was (poorly) dubbed in.
- Inverted with the latest Domino's Pizza slogan, after the company
revisedthrew out their old pizza recipe: "Oh yes we did."
- Used in a commercial for Vault energy drink. A well-muscled Latin Lover presents a pearl to a guy's girlfriend, and the announcer firmly announces, "Oh no he dih-unt!"
- This ad with its wonderfully cheerful and catchy song featuring the above quote for the below-mentioned game.
Live Action TV
HoltAdams did this a couple of times on Cheat!, with the "di'in't" pronunciation.
- Used, of all places, the Christmas episode of series two of Chuck, by a sassy black woman Buy More employee.
- Used by Jon Stewart a couple of times in The Daily Show, usually in response to a bitchy comment from a minor politician on the News.
- Alan Kalter has a recurring sketch during The Late Show With David Letterman, "Alan Kalter's Oh No You Didn't!" Rule of Three always applies: After two "Oh no you di'in't"s, there always come a smarmy "Oh yes you did!" (usually in response to some celebrity sexcapade).
- My Name Is Earl pilot episode:
Randy: Oh no, you didn't. You didn't just go Old School!
- On Glee, during Regionals when the judges discuss the songs, specifically "Loser like me."
- Not quite the full-on "Oh No You Didn't", but invoked in genuine, giddy incredulity by Adam Savage toward the end of their Greased Lightening episode, when Jamie brings in a firefighter helicopter to put out the kitchen fire they'd set.
Brian Madison: You remember that spelling bee you won in the first grade?
Billy Madison: Oh no, you didn't.
Cady: You know what, it's not my fault you're like in love with me or something!
Damian: Oh no, she did not!
Bones Jake, go on and bounce homie, we'll handle it from here.
Alonzo What? Oh no you didn't. Wait a minute, no you didn't. Hey, hey, Jake! Hey! Jake! Jake! Jake! Come back here! Jake! You disloyal fool-ass-bitch-made-punk. Jake!
- The theme song from Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. It's a cheerfully catchy song about how a mercenary gets shot in the ass and cheated out of a paycheck, and how they are going to tear down an entire country to get the payback.
- Strip #250 of Order of the Stick is titled "Oh no, he DIDN'T!".
- And this strip of Loserz is titled "Oh no she didn't!" and describes this trope pretty well.
- Said by Pinkie Pie in the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic episode "Fall Weather Friends"
- Spanky Ham on Drawn Together says this, particularly when Princess Clara gets racist in front of Foxxy Love.
- Bender (Futurama) says this in response to the Professor lightly slapping him, after which Bender proceeds to beat the stuffing out of him.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force: In the episode Unremarkable Voyage, after Meatwad royally and unknowingly pisses off Frylock, Shake happily crows "Oh, you did not even just do that! Oh, no you didn't! Oh, my god!"