|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The basic plot was taken from She's All That, but it also parodied American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait, The Breakfast Club and dozens of others. Including a parody of the Heath Ledger singing scene from 10 Things I Hate About You that leads to the Pretty Ugly Girl being tasered.
Opinion is more than a little divided on Not Another Teen Movie. The critics absolutely hated it, but a lot of fans think it is the funniest and cleverest spoof since The Naked Gun.
- Actor Allusion: Paul Gleason.
- Also Lacey Chabert playing a parody of Jennifer Love Hewitt's character in Can't Hardly Wait. Chabert and Hewitt both starred on Party of Five.
- The chilling of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Melissa Joan Heart in the scene after she made her cameo
- Ron Lester, who basically plays the exact same character he was in Varsity Blues (like Gleason above).
- Molly Ringwald as the Flight Attendant. Her lines are coated in irony, at one time even saying "Fucking Teenagers" and scoffing. At one point Jake quotes Pretty in Pink to Janey, to which Janey asks "Are you sure?" and Ringwald replies "Pretty sure".
- Affectionate Parody
- Alpha Bitch: Priscilla
- Big Game: Parodied, of course.
- Big Man on Campus: Jake
- Big No
- Big Screwed-Up Family: Jake's family: his dad wants him to go to the same college as him and have the same job as he, his mom is willing to sleep with him to complete the illusion, and his sister is endlessly trying to have sex with him. At first, it seems as thought they are spoofing Cruel Intentions and that they are Not Blood Siblings until she afirms "only [related] by blood".
- Billing Displacement: On the original poster and the video box, only Mia Kirshner (Jake's sister), Jamie Pressley (Priscilla), and Randy Quaid (Janey's dad) received billing.
- Bowdlerise: The network TV version turns "fuck my brother" into "find a lover."
- Black Best Friend: Malik, who lampshades the trope.
- Brick Joke: The conjoined twins really do make up one decent chick... they wind up becoming Prom Queens.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Parodying the Flirty Stepsiblings from Cruel Intentions, Katherine makes a determined effort to try to sleep with her biological brother ("Only by blood." is her rationalization when he points out the consanguinity). The brother is appropriately grossed out, and never goes along with her intentions.
Katherine: So what if we have the same mother?/Tonight I'm gonna fuck my brother!
- Butt Monkey: Poor, sweet Ricky. He tells Janey that he's in love with her to her face, only for her to completely ignore him. Ends up broken and battered trying to beat the Big Man on Campus to the Airport, as he gets hit by a couple dozen cars. Ends up starting the Slow Clap... which gets him beaten up again.
- The Cameo: Molly Ringwald, Melissa Joan Hart, Sean Patrick Thomas.
- Joan Hart's in particular can be seen as a parody of Sarah Michelle Gellar's cameo in She's All That.
- Catch Phrase. The Token Minority lampshades this: "I'm just supposed to smile, and stay out of the conversation, and say things like 'Damn!', 'Shit!' and 'That is whack!'"
- Later, there is this brilliant exchange:
Token Black Guy: *clears throat*
Other Black Guy: what?
TBG: I'm supposed to be the only black guy at this party.
TBG: I know—
Both: It's whack!
- Caught with Your Pants Down
- The Cheerleader: Priscilla
- Chekhov's Gunman: A pair of twins conjoined at the temple. They become prom queen at the end.
- The Chew Toy: Ricky.
- Composite Character: Most of the characters are basically the characters from She's All That combined with another teen film character. (ex. Janey's dad is both the dad from She's All That and Pretty in Pink, Jake's sister is Mac Silar combined with Kathryn from Cruel Intentions, Ricky is Jesse from She's All That with Ducky from Pretty in Pink etc.)
- Contrived Clumsiness: Parodied. The heroine is in a bathing suit, already wet from the pool, and the villainous Alpha Bitch, sarcastically feigning clumsiness, spills a glass of WATER on her. The heroine reacts with humiliated tears.
- Crowd Song: The one before prom.
- Lampshaded immediately afterwards: the participants look at each other and leave awkwardly.
- Dawson Casting: Deliberately so. Most of the cast were in their twenties at the time, likely to parody high school films. Although Lacey Chabert, Chyler Leigh, and Chris Evans were fairly close at 18, 19, and 20 respectively.
- Depraved Bisexual: Catherine
- Disney Creatures of the Farce: Areola's naked window scene with the birds is an obvious send-up of classic Snow White, Cinderella, etc moments.
- Europeans Are Kinky: Parodied with Areola, the foreign exchange student who is constantly nude.
- Fan Disservice: Lampshaded with the "Dainty Girl", in a Shout-Out to the bathroom scene in Detroit Rock City (except with an unending stream of poo). As an added bonus, an English professor is heard berating today's youth for their crude taste in humor, right before the ceiling collapses and showers him in the girl's excrement.
"That made me sad in pants."
- The scene of Jake's sister, Catherine, frenching with an old woman.
- Foreign Exchange Student: Areola is a parodic example.
- Foreign Fanservice: Parodied with Areola, who spends most of her scenes completely naked.
- Fun with Subtitles: Whenever Aerola is naked and speaking, the subtitles avoid covering her 'assets'.
- Funny Foreigner: Areola - Who has her accent change every line, and who dodges the question of what country she's from in a deleted scene.
- Girl-On-Girl Is Hot: Subverted in the scene where Catherine frenches an old woman, which is made repulsive.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: This plus taking her hair out of a ponytail is all Janey needs to be revealed as Beautiful All Along.
- High School
- The schools' bulletin board reads: "Monday - Introduction", "Wednesday - Preston's Party", "Friday - Homecoming Game", "Saturday - Prom".
- High School Sweethearts: Lampshaded.
- Hollywood Homely: Parodied In-Universe. Jake, the popular jock, has to make Janey beautiful because... you know, she's hideous! Just look at the glasses! And her ponytail!!!
- Don't forget the paint-covered overalls!
- And this in comparison to the following: A) an Albino guitarist ("any chick with a guitar is hot!"), B) a hunchback ("So baby's got a little back... hunch, that is. Way too easy!"), and C) twins that are conjoined at the temple ("...combined, those two make up a pretty decent chick.")
- Informed Ability: Janey's "artistic talent" is essentially just drawing kindergarden-level stick figures.
- Informed Flaw: See the Hollywood Homely entry. Played for Laughs.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl/Foreign Fanservice: Areola. Lampshaded, of course.
"I am here to be object of lust for poor nerds who can't get American pussy!"
- Jerk Jock
- Just Friends: Janey doesn't even bother to tell Ricky she just likes him as a friend.
- Lampshade Hanging: Especially in the advertising. They told you what kind of movie this was going to be and exactly which Stock Characters they were going to be using.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: All over the place again. For example, Janey and Ricky are both shown reading books on how to be their generic character types.
- Magical Negro: Played by Mr. T. Naturally.
- Meaningful Name: Areola.
- Naked People Are Funny: Areola. Made funnier in that Cerina Vincent used to play a Ms. Fanservice on Power Rangers Lost Galaxy just two years prior.
- Oblivious to Love: Ricky has no problem with Can't Spit It Out - he writes a Ten Things I Hate About You-esque poem (entitled "Ten Things I Love About Janey Lippman") flat-out confessing his love for Janey and reads it aloud in class. She still doesn't pick up on it.
- A Party - Also Known as an Orgy: Spoofed.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Bruce, a white kid who thinks he is Asian. A parody of (or possibly simply Homage to) Seth Green's character in Can't Hardly Wait, who was white but thought he was black. At one point a couple of white boys who mocked Bruce for this, even though they themselves thought they were black.
- Really Gets Around: Despite wanting to have sex with her brother, Katherine had sex with nearly every guy (and girl) she takes an interest. Even twice.
- Road Trip Across the Street
- Scenery Censor: Done with Areola's vagina, although not with any other part of her body.
- Serenade Your Lover: In a parody of Ten Things I Hate About You.
- Sex as Rite-Of-Passage
- Slow Clap: An extra exists whose sole purpose is to learn how to do this properly.
- Which ends in either hilarity or sadness, depending on whether you felt bad for Ricky or not - see Just Friends, above.
- SMURFING: The Alpha Bitch wants you to remember that this is a cheertatorship. Not a cheerocracy.
- The Song Before the Storm: "Prom Tonight".
- Sophisticated As Hell: The Token Black Guy is revealed to be this, delivering a very deep insightful speech to Jake near the end. When Jake pauses to thank him, then dashes out abruptly before he can reply, he says only one word: Motherfucker.
- Spit Trail Kiss: Between Jake's sister and an elderly woman pretending to be a teenager at the Wild Teen Party. Probably one of the grossest ones ever recorded on film.
- Stock Character: This movie goes out of its way to include as many as possible usually directly referencing the more famous examples from this genre. Lots of Lampshading too.
- Token Minority: Hilariously and endlessly Lampshaded.
Malik: I am the token black guy. I'm just supposed to smile and stay out of the conversation and say things like: "Damn," "Shit," and "That is WACK!"
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Spoofed over how it was supposed to make her unattractive.
- Tourettes Shitcock Syndrome: "Give me a 'W'. Give me a 'Y'. Give me a - lick-my-pussy, ass cock shit." Beat, and then the audience at the football game actually shouts it back.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Areola again -- outside of her introduction, and the other naked girl at the party who complains that she copied her outfit, no one notices her walking around in the buff.
- Video Credits
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Areola's accent changes throughout the movie.
- This was intentional though.
- Wild Teen Party