|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Nonpoint is an American Heavy Metal band formed in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1997. Known for their very modern, melodic sound, the band has frequently had run-ins with the 'sellout' label, although they are not a very well-known band. Despite this, the band has received critical acclaim for their work, and remains one of their genre's underrated talents. The band's sound has been compared to the likes of early Linkin Park, Machine Head, Soil, and even P.O.D. among others. The band's debut album, Statement, didn't receive much attention from the metal community, but due to the success of their sophomore release Development, they gained a bit of recognition. Both albums were very well-received.
Their sound is primarily Alternative Metal and Nu-metal, the latter featured mostly on their debut. However, they have mild influences from many other genres outside of metal, such as hard rock, hardcore punk, blues, pop, R&B, and alternative rock among others. Even their official Facebook says their genre is 'Metal, Hardcore, Rock, Blues, etc.' They use mainly clean vocals in their songs, with the occasional rapping and mild screaming. However, many other vocal styles are used, if only occasionally, due to the diversity of vocalist Elias Soriano. The band has released six major albums, with a seventh coming out in the spring. Despite their nu-metal label, they are one of the genre's most respected bands. Their lyrical themes are hugely varied, going from something as simple as lust ('What You've Got For Me') to something as deep as losing your mind ('Circles'). A few of their songs are sung in Spanish and have Latin influence, similar to another band....
- Statement (2000)
- Development (2002)
- Recoil (2004)
- To the Pain (2005)
- Vengeance (2007)
- Miracle (2010)
- TBA (2012)
Nonpoint provides examples of:
- Vocal Dissonance: Due to Elias's somewhat boyish singing voice, it can come as a shock that he looks like this.
- Does This Remind You of Anything??: The band has very suspicious similarities to Ill Nino. They don't sound extremely similar, but still. To name a few:
- Both bands not only play metal, but they play the same sub-genres. Not to mention they both have a bit of Latin influence and have a few songs in Spanish.
- Both bands have big Hispanic lead singers with dreadlocks who don't look like they sound when they sing.
- Both bands lean towards the more melodic side of metal.
- Both bands released a cover song on their latest album.
- They even know each other!
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Most of their songs are a 6 or 7, with their heavier songs getting up to an 8 and their softer songs going down to about a 5 or 4.
- Cover Version: They have covered Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' and Pantera's '5 Minutes Alone'.
- New Sound Album: Vengeance, while still melodic, is noticeably more aggressive than their other work. The album also borders on Groove Metal. This is part of why it received the worst reviews out of all their releases.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: The title track of their latest album features Chad Gray, whom you can easily recognize from Mudvayne.