|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Nisemonogatari ("Impostory") is the third part in the Monogatari Series and a direct sequel to Bakemonogatari. The novel's focus shifts to Koyomi's sisters Karen and Tsukihi, also known as the Fire Sisters of Tsuganoki 2nd Middle School. The cast encounters Deishuu Kaiki, who is responsible for several of the incidents involving the supernatural in this series, while also introducing the fierce Yodzuru Kagenui, both happen to be fellow specialists and acquaintances of Meme Oshino.
It contains 2 stories, Karen Bee and Tsukihi Phoenix.
Its anime serial adaptation began airing in January 2012, still courtesy of Studio Shaft. It was also announced that the entire series will be animated as well.
In the release order, it is following Kizumonogatari and is followed by Nekomonogatari: Black.
- And the Adventure Continues...: "Karen Bee" ends with Karen and Tsukihi setting out to heal the damage done by Kaiki.
- Animation Bump: The scene in episode 4, where Araragi and Shinobu are taking bath.
- Author Appeal: According to Word of God, the reason for all the fanservice in this installment was that Nisioisin originally wrote it for himself and had no plans to publish it.
- Black Comedy Rape: In episode 2, from Kanbaru toward Koyomi. Bonus points for a short scene turning him into Mayoi for a moment.
- Bob Haircut: Hanekawa and later Senjougahara's new hairstyle.
- Call Back:
- The first opening "Futakotome" alludes to the events of "Hitagi Crab" (Hitagi's staple attacks, falling through the school staircase, the red text that swims around the shell of the otherwise invisible weight crab) and also makes visual and musical references to its opening song, "staple stable".
- Episode 6 has a short montage where Hitagi is shown in all the outfits she wore in Bakemonogatari.
- Chekhov's Gun: Discussed in episode 6; Senjougahara speculates that the telescope Koyomi bought her will factor later in this story's climax.
- Dancing Theme:
- Discussed by Hachikuji and Araragi in episode 1.
- Straight example with "Hakkin Disco", the opening for the Tsukihi Phoenix arc.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Done for a scene in episode 6 and several ones in episode 7.
- Did They or Didn't They?:
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The infamous "Toothbrush Scene" is highly suggestive.
- Fan Service:
- Episode 2 in general; it starts with Koyomi narrating about his sisters, while depicting them in provocative poses, proceeds to him meeting with Sengoku who tries to clumsily seduce him, and ends with a Black Comedy Rape during his meeting with Kanbaru.
- Two episodes later, the Furo Scene of Koyomi and Shinobu, which lasts for about a half of the episode. Aside from providing the service though, it also moves the plot and builds upon the character of the two.
- In the 5th episode, Koyomi spends the first part of the episode in just a towel.
- And then there's the quite uncomfortable, infamous scene from episode 8.
- Foreshadowing: In Tsukihi's opening, there's a short part where her legs continue dancing without an upper body. That's exactly what happens to her when she gets attacked in episode 10, minus the dancing.