|This a Useful Notes page.|
The Nintendo Switch is a video game console developed by Nintendo, and the company's seventh major home console. Originally known in development as the NX, it was officially unveiled in October 2016 and was released worldwide on 3 March 2017. See its official website here.
The Switch is a "hybrid" console, allowing different modes of play. Its main unit is shaped like a tablet computer which can be used portably as-is, or connected to a television display through a detachable docking station. In addition it can also be used in a tabletop form with its kickstand. Despite these characteristics, Nintendo markets the Switch primarily as a home console rather than as a portable.
Its most distinguishable feature are the "Joy-Con" controllers. These are two detachable controllers that can be either attached to a "Grip" to provide a traditional home console gamepad form, attached on either side of the main unit for handheld play, or can be used individually in the hand like Nintendo's Wii Remote. The Joy-Cons are similarly motion-sensitive, and feature NFC for reading Amiibo data. The Switch uses flash ROM cartridges for media (similar to those for the Nintendo DS and 3DS), rather than optical discs.
Prior to launch, Nintendo had announced that over 100 titles were in development by 70 developers, a contrast to the Wii U's weak software library.
The console shipped over 2.74 million units in the first month of its launch, exceeding Nintendo's initial projection of 2 million units, and making it the fastest-selling home console in its history. Switch sales were highly tied to critically acclaimed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, released alongside the console's launch worldwide.
- Operating system: Nintendo Switch system software
- System-on-chip used: Nvidia Tegra X1
- CPU: Octa-core (4×ARM Cortex-A57 & 4×ARM Cortex-A53) @ 1.020 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR4
- Storage: Internal flash memory: 32 GB
- Removable storage: microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC up to 2 TB
- Display: 6.2-inch, 1280 × 720 LCD @ 237 ppi, up to 1080p via HDMI while docked
- Graphics: Nvidia GM20B Maxwell-based GPU @ 307.2 - 384 MHz while undocked, 307.2 - 768 MHz while docked
- Sound: Linear PCM 5.1ch (via HDMI), Stereo speakers, Headphone jack
- Controller input: Joy-Con, Pro Controller
- Touchpad: Capacitive
- Connectivity: 2.4/5 GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, 1 × USB 3.0 (on dock), 2 × USB 2.0 (on dock), 1 × USB Type-C (on unit)
- Power: 4310 mAh, 3.7 V lithium-ion battery