The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
This genre of fanfiction sets the action one generation (or more) after the source material. As a result, it tends to feature Original Characters more than other genres do.
- "Firestorm" is a Lois and Clark fanfic about their grown granddaughter.
- This is a Neko Sugar Girls fanfic revolving around Raku and Hitoshi's son, aptly named "Nyan neko sugar boyz"
- Sonic: 25 Years Later is a canon Next-Gen story, where the children of the main characters from Sonic the Hedgehog live in the world their parents made. (Considering the main characters were in their teens, they're still around, but it's not just about Grandpa Sonic...)
- Many Harry Potter fanfics. It helps that the epilogue of Deathly Hallows sees an actual canon next generation board the Hogwarts Express for adventures unknown.
- Shadow of the Valley by Disguise of Carnivorism is a Death Note Next Gen AU fanfic where Light Yagami raises his daughter to be the next Kira.
- The Homestuck fanfic The Motley Two is set on Alternia some generations after the original, and descendants of the original characters play some role in the plot.
- Another Homestuck fic, the text-based forum adventure Adult Stuck, mostly focuses on the next generation of ectochildren and occasionally the children of the canon characters.
- The Whyt Game is a Final Fantasy IV fanfic/ roleplay which is set so far after the events of the original game that the game itself has almost no basis in it. The original characters are given one or two references; that's it.
- The Fall of San Francisco is a The Good, the Bad and the Ugly fanfic that features Tuco's granddaughter in the early 20th century.
- Exoria is more or less this. It features a Hyrule that is analogous to the modern day, with the games themselves forming the distant backstory.
- Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop is another official example, set roughly 30 years after the original series and focusing on the teenage successors to the Gundam Pilots...and Heero, revived from cryogenic stasis.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Forever is set in 2018, over a decade after the end of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, and follows the exploits of Yugi's son Yugo, Kaiba's son Seta, and their classmates, allies and rivals from one adventure to another, including Duel Monster tournaments. (A trope page for this story, currently under development, can be found here.)
- Mai-HiME: Future is this for Mai-HiME, obviously. Unusually for the genre, the focus is shared between the canon cast and the younger generation, leading to even more Loads and Loads of Characters than the source material.
- The same applies to Return to Hinamizawa, the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni equivalent. The author acknowledges Mai-HiME: Future as his inspiration.
- These fics were a dime a dozen in the heyday of the Pokémon anime fandom, featuring the children of the Ash/Misty and Jessie/James ships. One fic even let Brock in on the action, marrying him to a Nurse Joy. They had quadruplets.
- ↑ penned by the anime's head writer
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.