|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In the future, the Avengers are dead and the one responsible, Ultron, is in the process of completely dominating the planet. The only hope left for the world, are seemingly the children of the Avengers. Hidden away from Ultron and protected and raised by Iron Man, they must band together and seek help from any other survivors, including The Hulk, before Ultron wipes them all out.
The film seems to be a semi-continuation of the Ultimate Avengers films, but with more references to the mainstream Marvel Universe. Arguably, it's a cross between Young Avengers, A-Next and an issue of What If where the Avengers had kids on Battleworld.
This film contains examples of: Edit
- Avengers Assemble: Spoken by James at the end of the film.
- A robotic variant also occurs when the Iron Avengers are activated.
- Badass Grandpa: Tony Stark and Bruce Banner/The Hulk have both become one.
- Bad Future: By the time of the main story, Ultron has killed almost every hero on the planet and is very close to conquering the entire planet.
- BFS: Toruun's is gigantic.
- Big Bad: Ultron.
- Changed My Mind, Kid: Francis Barton.
- Canon Immigrant: The eponymous Next Avengers show up in Avengers vol. 4 #1.
- Creepy Souvenir: Ultron's base has a huge chamber full of glass cabinets, each holding a nameplate and remains of some hero's uniform.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Iron Man takes on Ultron to allow the kids to get away and he doesn't last too long before Ultron overpowers him.
- The Hulk quite easily destroys Ultron in the last moments of the final battle.
- Embarrassing First Name: Francis Barton.
- Five-Man Band
- Heroic Sacrifice: Basically most of the original Avengers in the opening backstory (sans Iron Man, The Vision and Thor) fought and were killed by Ultron in order to allow their children to be safely hidden away.
- I Am Your Father: Tony Stark built Ultron in this story.
- Jerkass: James starts out as one, but he gets better.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Francis.
- Last-Name Basis: Pym.
- Legacy Character: All of the kids seem to become one of these at the end of the film.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Toruun pulls one when they reach Ultra City.
- Missing Mom: Azari's mother is strongly implied to be Storm from the X-Men, but we have no idea what happens to her. Likewise, Toruun's mother is never seen and she only makes reference to her father (Thor) and the same is true of Francis Barton (though Word of God says his mother is Mockingbird).
- My Sister Is Off-Limits: When Francis talks with James about why he decided to join them, the conversation ends with:
Francis: Besides, anything to impress a girl right?
James: Girl? Wait, you mean Toruun? Dude, she's like my sister!
Francis: So, she's available then?
- Mythology Gag: "Ultron... we would have words with thee." courtesy of Toruun - a reference to Thor's famous line from the Busiek/Perez Avengers run.
- Oh Crap: The look on Tony's face when he sees that a "new energy signature" is heading towards the refuge makes it clear that he know exactly what is coming even before it's confirmed.
- Papa Wolf: Tony becomes one of these when Ultron arrives to kill the children. First thing he does after ensuring that they have an escape route is donning on his Iron Man armor and using it to battle Ultron.
- Parental Abandonment: This seems to be the case with Toruun and Thor, given that unlike the other Avengers, he never fought Ulton, as he left to rule Asgard after Odin died. Turns out the reason he left her on Earth was for her to learn the same thing he had to when his father was alive; how to be human. After he explains this, she forgives him and Thor sends her back to Earth, with the promise that she will always be welcome back at Asgard.
- Robot Me: Tony Stark seemingly built robot versions of the original Avengers with the intention of using them to one day fight Ultron.
- The Smurfette Principle: Toruun
- Superpowerful Genetics: Arguably James, who seems to have inherited his dad's supersoldier abilities. Certainly Azari, who's inherited lightning powers from his mother and the Black Panther line's agility and strength.
- Both his parents were supersoldiers, so it's hardly a surprise. Black Widow's is less powerful than Captain America's, but has the side effect of letting her remain young for an undefined period, similar to a healing factor.
- Talking to Himself: Tom Kane voices both Tony Stark/Iron Man and Ultron.
- Team Dad: Tony Stark.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Toruun is absolutely desperate for her very much absent father's approval. She gets it.
- What Could Have Been: According to concept art, in early stages of development, Pym was going to be a girl.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Francis Barton.
- Who Would Be Stupid Enough...?: When the gang infiltrates Ultron's base:
Azari: There's no one here. Maybe Ultron assumed no one would be dumb enough to sneak in.
Pym: HA! We showed him! We are dumb enough!
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Toruun talks in this when she remembers to, in order to sound Asgardian. Thor himself, however, doesn't.