|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Analysis • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Team 7 provides examples of:
- Betty and Veronica: Sakura was the Archie to Naruto's Betty and Sasuke's Veronica.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura respectively.
- Freudian Trio: Team 7 starts out with pretty clearly defined roles, with Naruto representing the Id as he was loud, impulsive, boastful, hyperactive, stubborn, instinctual, etc. ; Sakura being the Ego and Sasuke the Super Ego. Interesting in that Naruto and Sasuke gradually exchange their roles through the course of the story, while Sakura's role remains mostly the same.
- Generation Xerox: Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura trained under a Sannin over the timeskip, learning their summons and part of the moveset, and furthering their personality comparisons. Sasuke/Orochimaru was the student who left to further his own power, Jiraiya was the dedicated, dreamer friend who can't give them up, and Sakura the woman caught in the middle.
- Hair Contrast Duo: Naruto and Sasuke
- Nice, Mean and In-Between: Naruto is arguably the nicest in the squad, Sasuke is the over-confident meanie, while Sakura is in-between the two, due to her cheery exterior and her sometimes aggressive interior if she gets annoyed.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Naruto is the red to Sasuke's blue.
I never go back on my word. That's my Ninja Way.
Voiced by: Junko Takeuchi (JP), Maile Flanagan (EN), Isabel Martiñón (Latin America), Javier Balas (Spain)
The main character. The Hero. In case you couldn't tell. He starts off as the stock Shonen anime Hero out to prove his worth to the villagers who've shunned and hated him by becoming the Hokage  of Konoha. As a newborn, the Fourth Hokage, his own father, sealed the evil Nine-Tailed Fox demon inside his body. He goes from being viewed as nothing but the demon itself to a full-fledged ninja once he saves his sensei Iruka from the evil Mizuki. He gradually matures from his Idiot Hero demeanor over the course of the series, and by the time Shippuden rolls in, he's older and wiser, not to mention stronger than ever.
Now Naruto is one of Konoha's most powerful ninja, easily was considered to be Hokage by the villagers after Pain's Invasion, master of Sage Mode and he beat the Nine-Tailed Fox, taking its power for his own. Then he tames Kurama by showing him and all tailed beasts the compassion they wanted ever since they were created by the Rikudo Sennin himself.
- Adaptation Dye Job: His chakra color, and therefore the color of his Rasengan as well, was changed from yellow to blue in the anime.
- Adorkable: He's socially awkward, and early on, most of his boasts came off more as cute/lauaghable than intimidating.
- Animal Motifs: Foxes due to being the Kurama's host, and toads due to his affiliation with the ones of Mount Myobokuzan. Also, he has a money pouch that's designed to look like a frog (which he calls 'Gama-chan' ('Little Froggy').
- Awesome Yet Practical: The techniques that Naruto uses such as the Mass Shadow Clone and Rasengan tend to be extremely flashy and draining abilities that few have the chakra capacity for, even before modifying or improving them. For anyone else, they would be Awesome but Impractical. However, Naruto has absolutely staggering reserves that only improve with time, giving him immensely powerful and flexible abilities that no one else would be able to use.
- Badass: Primarily a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass. His Idiot Hero tendencies usually result in others not taking him seriously, but he comes up with some pretty cool tactics when he decides to.
Tenten: "He's kind of a dimwit, and a scatter brain, and a little clumsy, and a butthead, and cheap, and perverted, and greedy, and egotistical, and oblivious, and a dork, but you can't let your guard down!"
- Badass Boast: He always boasts before he engages in fight. It inevitably became this.
- Badass Longcoat: When Naruto returned from learning Sage Mode to fight Pain, he was sporting one of these, but quickly lost it. He regains one with an elaborate, seal-decorated coat of chakra when, together with Kurama/Nine-Tails, they finally pulled off their Biju Transformation.
- Berserk Button: It's highly recommended to NEVER hurt his friends, mentors, or Parental Substitute, ever.
- Big Damn Heroes: Several times throughout the course of the series. Most of the time played straight, but the most spectacular one his rescue of Tsunade and the Leaf Village from Pain is actually a Double Subversion. Pain had already killed multiple significant characters and obliterated the vast majority of the village landscape before Naruto arrives. But he manages to convince him to make a Heel Face Turn, so Nagato promptly sacrifices his own life to revive everyone he'd killed.
- Gets another one after taming Kurama. Just as Tobi's Biju are about to blast Kakashi and Gai with their Bijudama he flicks them all the way just by sheer speed.
- Big Eater
- Book Dumb
- Born Lucky: Not only he wins big in slots (manga) or a lottery (anime), just walking close to a nearby casino causes everyone there to win.
- Broken Hero: Between his past, Sasuke and Pain...
- Chain of People: Naruto replicates to pull this off by himself occasionally.
- Character Title
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Naruto has it bad during the Ninja War arc, where he insists on breaking out of hiding because he can't bear to sit back while his friends die to protect him, and pretty much takes the task of winning the war on himself, sending clones to help every division and protecting his fellow shinobi left, right and centre.
- Confusion Fu: Naruto is the number one ninja at surprising people.
- Cosmic Plaything
- Cursed with Awesome: Having the Nine-Tails sealed into his belly. It makes everyone hate him but the trade off is access to the biju's chakra in addition to rapidly developing his personal chakra reserves to the point where he has more raw power than most jonin before the story even begins. Its revealed later to be Blessed with Suck as his father choose to stash the beast in his son so Naruto could fight Tobi and hoped it would be a blessing both tactically and socially.
- Determinator: This trope more or less defines Naruto.
- Ditzy Genius: Has very little in the way of common sense, but has shown himself to be both surprisingly perceptive of others, likely due to only being able to watch others as a child, and extremely proficient when it comes to making strategies, especially under the heat of battle.
- Doppelganger Attack / Me's a Crowd: One of his two trademark techniques.
- Dumb Blonde
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His Signature Move, the Rasengan, and all its variants. The tenth anniversary game one-ups this by making an Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons version! It's even in his name!
- Facial Markings: Whiskerlike marks on his cheeks, apparently a result of the Fox inside Naruto.
- Fan Nickname: "Naruko" for his Sexy/Harem Jutsu and "GARuto" for whenever his badassery starts reaching critical levels.
- Gender Bender: "Oiroke No Jutsu" alias "Sexy Jutsu".
- Generation Xerox: Jiraiya, a member of the Legendary Sannin and Naruto's godfather-mentor, has more on one occasion remarked that Naruto resembles and is surely able to surpass his former student the Fourth Hokage, who is Naruto's father, and even himself (in terms of awesome and pervertedness). Kakashi also remarked in the third Shippuden movie Inheritors of the Will of Fire that Naruto's ethic of protecting his friends solemnly reminds him of his late comrade Obito Uchiha, whose spiky hair and knuckleheaded determination Naruto mirrored perfectly. And to put the icing on the cake, Naruto's personality, favorite food, and even verbal tic are all similar to his mother's.
- Genius Ditz: He may normally be an idiot, but the plans and strategies he comes up at the span of seconds while under pressure are definitely to be admired. It has gotten to the point it is lampshaded at various points in part II.
- Healing Factor: Thanks to the Kyuubi.
- Hellish Pupils: Vertical slits when using the the Fox's chakra.
- The Hero
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Beats the shit out of himself if he feels he's being "useless". Actually, the more powerful he gets, the more he seems prone to this, perhaps because he used to suck earlier in his lifetime, or to keep balance in his characterization (boasting loser -> doubting hero).
- He claims that he's "not that good of a ninja" after defeating five out of six of Pain's bodies, when few could even defeat one, and before defeating the last and most powerful one. Granted, his opponent was tired and and had used most of his chakra in fighting the villagers and nuking the city, but still...
- Heroes Want Redheads: The girl he has a crush on has pink hair, he loves his mother's red hair and at least a couple of the Filler girls he's Ship Teased with have red hair.
- Hidden Depths: Enough to be poster boy on the trope page.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Lifetime achievement award. And it seems it's a hereditary trait between his mother's red and father's yellow.
- Hot-Blooded: When he was a kid he'd more or less charge straight into battle screaming and spaming shadow clones. He's more level headed in part II, but stille has his moments.
- Hurting Hero: Which he hides behind a smile and a upbeat cheerful attitude.
- I Gave My Word: He never goes back on his promises.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Inherited them from his father, the Fourth Hokage. They symbolise his youth, naive personality and inexperience.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: His promise to bring back Sasuke for Sakura is rooted there. Though he also has personal motives as well, and they overtake through the course of the story.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Can be fairly blunt and quite willing to tell people when he thinks less than highly of them, but is very willing to help when needed.
- Knuckle-Cracking: Over and over. More than any mortal knuckle could really take.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Often charges in on his own, and gets called out for it by Yamato, Kakashi and Sakura in the Three-Tails arc. This is even explicitly the reason why he was hidden what was going on at the beginning of the War Arc.
- Leitmotif: In part 1.
- Lightning Bruiser: He qualifies as this when using the Fox's power, and also when in Sage Mode.
- Look What I Can Do Now!: Naruto uses this as his quasi standard way to progress. In fact, he does it in the first episode/volume when he first busts out what will later become his signature move.
- Magnetic Hero: Definitely. Other characters often point out his uncanny ability to bring out the good in people.
- Meaningful Name: Naruto can either mean "maelstrom" or a type of fish cake ramen topping with a spiky starburst and spiral in the middle which obviously inspired his look. Uzumaki either means "spiral" or "whirlpool." Both names tie in well with his energetic personality and his signature move, the rasengan ("spiral sphere"), and narutomaki is meant to resemble the whirlpools in the Naruto Strait, which may have inspired his mother's home village of Uzushiogakure, the Village Hidden in the Whirling Tides.
- Oblivious to Love: To the extreme. He didn't understand Hinata's feelings towards him. When she offers him some medicine or an opportunity to cheat on a written exam, he finds it awkward (justified while Naruto thinks to himself Hinata is way too kind to sabotage him, he thinks Kiba might be putting her up to it).
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When using the Kyuubi's power and Dark Naruto.
- Running on All Fours: Naruto each time the Bijuu cloak appears.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Naruto has little respect for rules on a good day, and when those rules become a hindrance he ignores them entirely.
- Sealed Inside a Person Shaped Can: He's the aforementioned Person, with a demon fox sealed within him.
- Signature Move: Shadow Clones and later Rasengan.
- Stepford Smiler: Naruto will tend to mask his pain with a smile, such as when he promises Sakura to bring back Sasuke for her before and after the retrieval mission. Before the Chunin exams finals, he admitted that he viewed himself as a loser and tried to act cool and brash to cope with this. In Part II, Pain put him on the ropes by breaking him down with words, getting him to second guess his own actions.
- Surpassed the Teacher: He perfected sage mode, which Jiraiya wasn't able to do.
- He also surpassed Kakashi, because the latter wasn't able to add element manipulation to the rasengan -which is why Kakashi made chidori.
- Take a Third Option: This trope more or less defines Naruto.
- The Tease: Sexy Jutsu.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Every time Naruto learns a new skill, it's quickly rendered insufficient and it's back to training. Rinse and repeat.
- Took a Level In Badass: Several times. Achieving Sage mode and harnessing the Nine-Tails chakra are the most notable occassions.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen, ramen, ramen!
- Training From Hell: His training to learn the Rasen-Shuriken involved using a jillion Shadow clones to master his chakra control. He fainted more than a couple of times.
- Trauma Conga Line: Sasuke, Jiraiya and his parents are pretty much why he's so messed up.
- Ubermensch: In-universe. Since the first arc he has stated that he rejects the ordinary ninja way and will follow his own. It's constantly reaffirmed throughout the series.
- Unskilled but Strong: Jiraiya describes him as this during the chunin exams. Thanks to his high levels of Chakra, Naruto doesn't need to worry about the fine control his peers do and can more readily rely on raw power ninjutsu. This is played in contrast to Neji's Weak but Skilled. Later, Shadow Clone training helps convert raw power into skill, but he's still prone to muscle his way through jutsus that require loose chakra control. He does, however, master the sage mode (which Jiraya couldn't do before his death) and learns how to properly control the power of Kurama (the nine tails) and is skillfull with said states, but he never really leaves this trope as he still relies on either the power of Kurama or rather simple but powerful jutsus that are useful at the moment, he also never becomes proficient in other areas of jutsus such as genjutsu nor he develops new techniques that have nothing to do with his normal abilities.
- Unstoppable Rage: Thrice. In part 1 when he believed Sasuke had been killed, in part 2 against Orochimaru and when Pain seemingly kills Hinata.
- Verbal Tic: "Dattebayo/Believe It!" He uses it as a comma, for gods sake. "The sky's blue, Believe It!" * Verbal Tic: Naruto: -"dattebayo!".
Before time skip
- All of the Other Reindeer: A huge theme in the first part and his backstory. It gradually fades away through the course of the story, because he proves everyone wrong.
- Attention Whore: In the very early days of the manga, and most definitely in the academy.
- Boisterous Weakling: He was this as a child and at the very beginning of the series, boasting that he would become Hokage while failing to perform the most basic techniques.
- Bratty Half-Pint: In the beginning.
- Butt Monkey: At the start of the series, but generally this has faded.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Sakura.
- Genki Guy
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Idiot Hero
- In-Series Nickname: As a kid, he had on more than one occasion been called the "Number One Hyperactive Knucklehead Ninja" by Kakashi, which caught on here and there.
- This Loser Is You
- Trickster Archetype: More or less turns into The Messiah in Part II.
- Unskilled but Strong: Failing over and over again in the ninja academy, but with high levels of chakra inside him (having the nine tails help). His overall fighting style is savage, unrefined and lack of finesse, but he gets through with sheer raw power snd determination. He even needs to cheat on the way of developing new abilities (using a shadow clone to finally control the rasengan, something that neither his father Minato or Jiraya needed).
- Warrior Therapist: Especially against Neji and Gaara. He tries to be this for Sasuke.... it doesn't works.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Naruto had a phase of this with his Kage Bunshin and Rasengan, but he seems to have grown out of it (this probably hangs on fans' minds because this is the point he was at when the plot of the anime took a 80-episode Filler break, so we got to see these milked for much, much more than they were worth).
- World of Cardboard Speech: Delivered one when he fought Gaara.
Naruto: It's almost unbearable, isn't it? The feeling of being all alone. I know that feeling; I've been there in that dark and lonely place, but now there are others... other people who mean a lot to me. I care more about them than I do myself, and I won't let anyone hurt them. That's why I won't ever give up. I will stop you even if I have to kill you!
Gaara: But why... why would you do this for anyone but yourself?
Naruto: Because they saved me from myself. They rescued me from my loneliness; they were the first to accept me for who I am. They're my friends.
After time skip
- Almighty Janitor: Out of all of his friends, Naruto is still technically a genin. A genin that is a literal One-Man Army, whose personal favorite technique is the logical conclusion of tossing a million razors into a whirlwind and sealing it into one big Happy Fun Ball, and can pull multiple several-story-tall weapon-using toads from another realm, but still a genin.
- Anchored Ship: He's in love with Sakura, but doesn't believe he can tell her until he fulfills his promise to bring back Sasuke. To further complicate matters, he said this at some point before finding out Hinata loves him. Much later, Sakura told him that she loves him and not Sasuke now, but Naruto calls bullshit on it. The fact that she was asking him to go back on his promise didn't help matters much either.
- Battle Aura: One in the form of the Biju cloak, and the other while using his Sage Mode abilities. He can punch people with both.
- Beneath the Mask: Dark Naruto.
- Blank White Eyes: Played For Drama whenever he goes 4 tails/6 Tails
- Blow You Away / Razor Wind: The main nature of his chakra is "Wind", and he puts it to good use with Futon(Wind Style): Rasen Shuriken, which basically creates a crapload of tiny little blades that cut every cell in your body.
- In 4th tail form, he creates a cyclone with a fling of its claw.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Dark Naruto, who's a manifestation of the darkness in Naruto's heart, complete with a constant Slasher Smile and eyes that are completely black.
- In the anime they add Red Eyes, Take Warning.
- Broken Messiah: Temporarily had this spectacularly happen to him during the Iron Country/Kage Summit arc.
- The Chosen One: According to Jiraiya, Naruto is the one child of an ancient prophecy destined to save the world and not Nagato aka Pain or Minato as Jiraiya always thought. Though it's later hinted that they're all The Chosen One. Might as well be just Naruto, though, since the other two are dead..
- Death Glare: Give this to The nine tails in chapter 538 and even it was afraid.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: The Third Raikage resurrected by Edo Tensei was shilled as being an incredibly strong one man army (literally) that beat the Eight Tails in a fight. Not only did Naruto take him out, he did it unscathed. Which was kinda necessary seeing as a shadow clone was the one to do it.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: He has these shown after he finds out that Jiraiya is dead.
- The Empath: Naruto gains the ability to sense negative emotions while using the Kyuubi's chakra after he defeated it. This is incredibly useful when fighting an army full of hateful plant zombies because apparently, real soldiers never get angry or upset while fighting.
- Flash Step: Once he has tamed the Nine Tails.
- Heroic BSOD: Naruto usually handles himself outstandingly well, but some things that happen are enough to drive even him into a state of gaping, awestruck desperation. So far it happened twice, one of which was completely justified and long overdue and the other... Well. It involved Sasuke and hyperventilation and let's not go there.
- He's Back: Several times (after his 3 years training with Jiraiya, then after he fails to bring back Sasuke again, and after Jiraiya's death).
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: Said word for word in Chapter 551.
Naruto: I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks for the save, Itachi!
- Kirk Summation: His reply to Pain's Hannibal Lecture.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: His dad is the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze. Not that it wasn't incredibly obvious all along.
- Leaked Experience: This is how Naruto's "train with a hundred doppelgangers" Instant Expert method works. He gains all the experience(s) of the clones when they're dismissed, like a reverse EXP Share.
- Like Father, Like Son: It's mostly appearance wise. He takes most after his mother in personality and face.
- Living Weapon: Although he was first introduced as a living prison, Minato later outright stated he was made a Jinchuriki for the purpose of combating The guy with the mask.
- The Messiah: Deconstructed to some extent a few chapters after his fight with Pain, but soon quickly reconstructed.
- Mr. Fanservice: Lots of Shirtless Scenes in Part II. He spent whole arcs shirtless under oil- and waterfalls.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: After taking control of the fox's power he summon many Chakra arms, each with a Rasengan on it..
- My Greatest Failure: Not being able to save either Sasuke or Gaara comes off as this, especially in the infamous Tear Jerker where he thinks he is useless for not being able to save either.
- One-Man Army
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: "You give up... on me giving up!"
- Secret Legacy
- Spanner in the Works: To the point where Tobi actually calls him out on this trope.
- Super Mode: Sage Mode
- Yuri Fan: Shown by Konohamaru's Girl on Girl Justu.
I spared your life on a whim, nothing more. But this time, my whim is telling me to finish what I started...
Sasuke Uchiha is rival and The Lancer of Team 7, a prodigy who possesses the power copying Sharingan bloodline limit. He's one of the last remaining members of the Clan, who were mostly murdered by his Aloof Big Brother Itachi in a single night. Since the incident, Sasuke focused himself to acquire enough power to kill Itachi and avenge the clan. Initially a loner and so-not-a-team player, Sasuke develops a grudging respect for Naruto. He eventually grows jealous of the possibility of Naruto outshining him, and abandons Konoha and heads off to join Orochimaru, who desired his Sharingan. Not even an epic battle with Naruto could change his mind.
In Shippuden, he returns, stronger than ever, and now knows of the Nine-Tailed Fox inside Naruto. He disposes of Orochimaru, forms a team of the latter's old captives and associates, calling the team "Snake", and finally faces his brother in battle. After Itachi dies suddenly, Sasuke learns from Madara some harsh truths about the history of Konoha and the Uchiha Clan. He and his team, now called "Hawk", joins up with Akatsuki to wipe out Konoha. All in the name of revenge. Again.
- Asexual / Celibate Protagonist: Sasuke has never showed any undisputable romantic or sexual interest towards anyone, because that's the way he is or/and it would hinder his objectives of revenge.
- Berserk Button: Part I and a good chunk of Part II, any time Itachi is near him. After the latter's defeat, any remark about his clan, especially if it's about Itachi, is enough to make Sasuke snap.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Psychological torture in his case. Three times, each worse than the last:
- First when he was 7 years old, making him a socially inept, revenge obsessed kid.
- Second time after he met again his big brother, who broke several of his bones, left him in a month coma, destroyed his self worth, ranked his obsession to eleven and "forced" him to severe all his bonds to join one of the biggest monsters in the series.
- The third time finally ripped apart what little sanity he had left and transformed him into a deranged avenger.
- Bishonen: In-universe, almost every female character he met has noticed how goodlooking he is.
- Break the Cutie: In his backstory, when he was Forced to Watch his brother murder his clan, at the age of seven.
- Broken Ace: An excellent example.
- Byronic Hero
- Chick Magnet
- Curtains Match the Window: Black hair and eyes, as opposed to Naruto's blond and blue-eyed appearance.
- Death Glare: Used very early towards Sakura, but most instances are in part II where it is enough to scare Kabuto, Sai or Juugo.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Sharingan, Mangekyo Sharingan and Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Fight Magnet: He spends a lot of time seeking them out, but they come to him just as often. Case in point, Deidara jumping him because of a grudge against Itachi.
- Freak-Out: Happens thrice.
- First after the slaughtering of his clan: the sweet and shy little kid becomes obsessed with revenge.
- Second after he meets again Itachi, is beaten to a pulp and Mind Raped: it leads to his Face Heel Turn.
- Third one is delayed: after he learns the truth about Itachi, he Jumps Off The Slippery Slope, but it's only after he kills Danzou that he spectacularly freaks out. The result is not pretty. At all.
- Generation Xerox: Zig Zagged. For a while, Sasuke was similar to Orochimaru, but now that he isn't following the path of his teacher, his life seems to be headed a direction similar to several of his ancestors. It was explicitly called the curse of the Uchiha. Then Kakashi brings back the comparison with Orochimaru, if only for the teacher versus student parallel.
- Genocide Backfire: His goal is to kill Itachi for slaughtering their clan. It was revealed Itachi did so to stop a potential civil or world war. After he "succeeds" in killing Itachi, he wants to kill every Konoha citizen for what his brother had to do.
- Hates Being Touched
- Horrible Judge of Character: The ease with which Sasuke can be manipulated by someone who is Obviously Evil is astonishing.
- Last of His Kind: Subverted. He is called this, but his brother was still alive at the time, only disowned.
- Living MacGuffin: Between Naruto, Sakura, Orochimaru, Kabuto and Tobi, everyone seems to want some part of Sasuke. Even Pain shows interest towards him once or twice (even if they never meet).
- Loners Are Freaks
- Named After Somebody Famous: "Sasuke" comes from famous folktale ninja Sarutobi Sasuke. It's also the name of the Third Hokage's father, who Mikoto named him after.
- Perpetual Frowner: And when he does smile, it's either condescending or just plain creepy.
- Playing with Fire: The Uchiha specialty.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
- Revenge Before Reason: Lives on this trope 99% of the time, the lasting 1% being when he's motivated by protecting his True Companions. Later at 100%. Should the object of that revenge be removed, fear not! He'll find something new to point his revenge at. Hell, he's the God of this very trope!
- Rival Turned Evil
- Sanity Has Advantages: Generally when Sasuke calms down and thinks, he fights better and is more creative.
- Shadow Archetype: Both Naruto and Sasuke lost their families and had to live alone, are obsessive to the point of fanaticism in their goals, level up like it's going out of style to reach their goals (often conveniently matching each or spurring other's upgrades) and even are destined to face and probably end the ancient feud between Senju/Uchiha. Naruto himself lampshades it at some point, commenting that had some events not happened, their positions may very well have been reversed.
- Shock and Awe: Chidori and numerous other techniques derived from it.
- Signature Move: Chidori.
- Sliding Down the Slippery Slope: He was never fully sane or nice, but when he finds out about Itachi's real motives, he abandoned whatever moral standards and reason he had beforehand. By the time of the Kage conference, he is no longer above abandoning/sacrificing the rest of Hawk and indiscriminate murder to get his revenge.
- Not So Stoic: Triggered by encountering: fear (first encounters with Zabuza and Orochimaru), rage (anything about the Uchiha), and so on.
- Super Reflexes: His first encounter with Rock Lee points out that he doesn't have this. He gains them through the course of the story.
- Superpowerful Genetics
- Survivor Guilt
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tears of Remorse: In Part II, after Tobi fills him in about Itachi's actions following their final showdown, which makes him realize big bro loved him all along. It is the first time Sasuke cries on screen, save for flashbacks.
- Took a Level In Jerkass: Starts as a Jerk with a Heart of Gold and slowly works his way down the queue as time passes. He wavers occasionally, but it never seems to stick.
- Undying Loyalty: To his clan.
- Unwitting Pawn: Thanks to Itachi's work when he was a kid and Sasuke's obssesion with revenge, it's quite easy to manipulate him. In addition to only intending to serve his own ends, even if he doesn't sides with the good guys once he left them, or the bad guys fully, some of his actions end up being beneficial to them (killing Orochimaru, Deidara, Danzo and the original white Zetsu comes to mind).
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Or Well Done Younger Brother Guy... both can apply really.
Before time skip
- Arrogant Kung Fu Guy: In his relationship towards Naruto and his desire to fight only strong opponents in order to achieve his goal of killing Itachi Uchiha. This has him lose to Rock Lee and nearly die in facing Gaara. Losses to Itachi and others teach him humility in time.
- Can't Catch Up: This, towards Itachi, was what ultimately made him leave the Leaf). Also he threatened when it appeared that Naruto could catch up with and eventually surpass him, as it was a reminder that he wasn't close to catching up to Itachi, if he couldn't be the best in his own team.
- Defrosting Ice King: Throughout the first several arcs thanks to his friendly rivalry with Naruto. Then his brother showed up, tortured him and rekindled the thirst for revenge, which coupled with Sasuke's jealousy over Naruto's progress inspired him to run away from the village to train with a psychopath...
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness
- Face Heel Turn
- Heir to the Dojo: Sasuke is treated like this by pretty much everyone in Part I.
- Ineffectual Loner
- One-Winged Angel: His level 2 Cursed Seal form. He lost it after Itachi purged him of Orochimaru's power, burning off the wings and demon parts in the process.
- The Rival
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
After time skip
- Aloof Ally: He believes he's this towards Tobi. It's more accurate to say he's under More Than Mind Control, even if he attacked him once.
- Anti-Villain: Type I and/or II. He only wants his clan members revived.
- Avenging the Villain: How he justifies his objective of killing every single member of the Leaf village. Interesting in that it's clearly not what Itachi would have wanted.
- Ax Crazy: From the Kages summit on, though he has had the Sanity Ball at times. Notably when he sees Itachi again.
- Bastard Understudy: Towards Orochimaru and Tobi.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Almost everyone he gets involved with. In chronological order: the Leaf Village, Orochimaru, Tobi (said, but not done yet for several reasons), Jugo and Suigetsu, Karin, Sakura again, Zetsu.
- Deadly Upgrade: The Mangekyou Sharingan. It grants numerous cool powers but slowly degrades the user's eyesight with each use. His Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan averts this.
- Discard and Draw: Loses his cursed seal, his regenerative powers, and certain other abilities from Orochimaru's remains, but acquires the Mangekyou Sharingan.
- Disproportionate and Misplaced Retribution: Wants to kill everybody living in Konoha, even those completely unaware of what happened or not even born then, for the village elders role in the Uchiha Massacre.
- Fallen Hero
- Go Mad From the Revelation: He reacted poorly to the fact that His brother loved him above all else and self-sacrificed. And that it was by order of Konoha that the Uchiha where killed.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Tears of Remorse: The end result of his last fight with Itachi, when he learns he was horribly wrong about his brother. The first and only time so far he has cried since he was 7 years old.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After learning the truth about Itachi.
- Moral Myopia
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Persistent and notable in that it mostly matches Naruto's progression. Lampshaded by the Tobi when Sasuke reveals a new summon, which requires a contract he didn't likely have the opportunity for: "Oh, a new summoning? When did he learn that?"
- Partial Transformation: His mastery of the Curse Mark lets him to do this.
- Psycho for Hire: This is all he really is to Tobi. Sasuke is not important enough to be let in on Tobi's plans and the latter mostly uses him as muscle he can point at something. His ultimate value to Tobi is as a bargaining chip to keep Kabuto on his side, as some kind of gladiator he wants Naruto to fight, or as Gedo Mazo's new battery.
- The Power of Hate: Tobi says that the more Sasuke gives into his own hatred, the stronger he becomes. Naturally this isn't a very healthy way to power up.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Sasuke was stated to be more evil as he used his sharingan more.
- Revenge Myopia: Sasuke wants revenge on all of Konoha for ordering Itachi to kill the Uchiha just because the Uchiha were about to pull a coup.
- Rival Turned Evil
- Strong and Skilled: A high contrast to Naruto, is that he's always been a genius and prodigy, and as such he shows no problem in performing multiple jutsus. He seems to be excellent in the three ways, ninjutsu, genjutsu and taijutsu, and his mastery over chidori is equal/better than Naruto's mastery over rasengan. He also learns how to use Susano'o pretty quickly and with no known training, just by pure experience.
- Shoot the Hostage: Happens when he makes his Chidori blade go through Karin to reach Danzo.
- Took a Level In Badass: Between part 1 and part 2. It's difficult to say whether or not the Mangekyo Sharingan gave him one.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Team Hawk learns it hard.
- Wild Card
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He becomes one after hearing the truth about Itachi.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Towards Orochimaru, no less! He did some research to defeat him.
- Later done to Suigetsu and Jugo. He thanks them for saving his life repeatedly by telling Karin to leave them behind when she expresses concern for them, just so he can have his shot at Danzo.
- Karin, while not taking direct part in the battle, is instrumental to Sasuke's victory over Danzo, and healed him from his earlier wounds to enable him to fight. When Danzo takes her hostage, Sasuke shoots them both with his Chidori. He tells her that she became a burden when she became a hostage.
I've always considered myself to be a true ninja… but those were just empty words, because Sasuke and Naruto were always in the lead! But now it's my turn to take the lead, and all of you can watch me from the background!
The Chick of Team 7. Naruto has a crush on her, while she has a crush on Sasuke. Sakura herself is an intelligent, gifted kunoichi from Konoha. Unlike most other ninja in the series, she has no unique skills of her own, using only standard ninja techniques and her brains. As a result, during the first part of the series she mostly sits on the sidelines or loses the ones she participates in. She concludes that she can't leave things like this, however, and after failing to prevent her friend and first love Sasuke's defection, apprentices herself to Princess Tsunade with the intent of no longer being a burden.
In Shippuden, Sakura has picked up Super Strength and medical skills courtesy of Tsunade's Training From Hell, which turns her from The Load to...well, pretty useful. Hers is the first major fight of the new series, joining forces with Chiyo to defeat Akatsuki member Sasori in a drawn-out battle, and her healing skills are put to use for much of the series. Later, Sai calls her out on her accidental abuse or Naruto's dedication her, causing her to throw together a plan to "confess" to Naruto to get him to stop. From here, she takes a more active role in stopping Sasuke and other threats to people she cares about in hurting each other.
- Action Girl / Faux Action Girl: Zig-Zags. While praised by Kakashi at the beginning for being (slightly) above average, she realized during the Chunin Exams and after how much better her competition was. Over the Time Skip she trained under a Sannin like Naruto and Sasuke, and had an impressive showing alongside Chiyo against Sasori... only for her to slip again when her lingering feelings for Sasuke are triggered, or while other teers catch up. Ultimately, she ends up much more a Faux Action Girl.
- A-Cup Angst: Has a rather small chest and shows irritation about that in filler.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Played straight at first, but then deconstructed after the time skip. Ultimately, she still has lingering feelings for Sasuke, despite what he's become and despite that his actions threaten war, and her need to help stop him.
- Anchored Ship: Despite all her protests to the contrary in Shippuuden its revealed that she still has feelings for Sasuke despite what he's become, to the point that she attempted to kill him herself, though knowing that Naruto might be a little annoyed at her for doing that..
- Anger Born of Worry: Towards Naruto.
- Berserk Button: NEVER diss the forehead or call her ugly.
- Character Development: Goes from initially standing on the sidelines to taking an active role in helping Naruto and Sasuke, as well as assisting in Naruto's goal to bring Sasuke back. Much of her development in Part II is answering the question of how best to accomplish this goal.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Named Sakura, check. Pink hair, check. Healing powers, check. Associated with love, check. Traditional Japan, check - ikebana and being, well, a ninja. Born in early spring (March 28th), check. Spring-themed, see Meaningful Name below.
- The Chick
- Combat Medic: With her chakra control, she can heal injuries (either hers or others') and extract poison... and pulverize rocks with Super Strength.
- Healing Hands with gloves to protect them in battle.
- Covert Pervert: It goes back as early as the chunin exams.
- Crater Power: One of her taijutsu techniques called Cherry Blossom Impact involves punching the ground hard enough to send chunks of earth sailing through the air like flower petals.
- Distress Ball: She picks it up when it comes to dealing with Sasuke.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Towards Sasuke.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Grows out her hair while trying to woo Sasuke, until her Important Haircut.
- Forehead of Doom: So big that she was bullied as a little girl because of it.
- Green Eyes
- Hair Decorations: She wears her headband as a hairband. She also used to tie her hair with a ribbon when younger.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation and Sorry I Fell on Your Fist: She feels horribly guilty for not being strong enough.
- Hot-Blooded: Inner Sakura certainly was. Sakura of Shippuuden seems to be as well, at least in reaction to Naruto.
- Important Traumatic Haircut: She cuts her long hair off as a symbol of her new resolve. Conveniently, it's also to free herself from three Sound Gennin, who wanted to kill the incapacitated Sasuke and Naruto.
- Informed Ability: Kakashi says at least twice that Sakura is an expert in Genjutsu. The only remotely impressive thing she does in that domain is dissipate Kabuto's sleeping illusion, but she is never seen to use any Genjutsu in a fight.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Early on, she looks down on Naruto, and lets her temper get the best of her when it comes to him. In Part II she ends up admitting to actually look up to him. She still dishes out the punishment when Naruto acts like an idiot and/or a pervert.
- Lethal Chef: Anime only, played for laughs. Her handmade balls of medicinal herbs taste awful. She has the tendency of adding said herbs in anything she cooks. Even chocolate.
- The Load: Until the Time Skip.
- Love Hurts: Specially when the person your in love with tries to stab you In the Back.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Attempts this to spare Sasuke from falling even lower then he already has, but her feelings for him kept her from landing the fatal blow.
- Love Martyr: Sakura's fixation on Sasuke seems more and more like this each time they interact in part II. She is still in love with him even after he has tried to kill her.
- Loving a Shadow: Subverted. Like the other Konoha girls, she at first likes Sasuke just because of his looks and skills, but as Sakura learns more about his troubled personality she comes to care for him for real.
- Male Gaze: Part II seems to like giving attention to her backside.
- Meaningful Name: Haruno means "of the spring," and Sakura is Japan's famous cherry blossom tree which sprouts its distinctive pink flowers in the spring and which are the same color as her hair.
- Ms. Exposition: In the first arc she explained things essential to the verse like how chakra works.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: She is pretty skinny, and she is not noticeable better built in muscle than her teammates, but she is by far the strongest in (at least own) physical strength.
- Oblivious to Love: In a weird way. She cannot have missed Naruto's clumsy attempts to hit on her, but she had to have Sai of all people telling her how Naruto suffered from Unrequited Love to take it seriously. So seriously, in fact, that she got pretty messed up and did some desperate things.
- Out of Focus: Despite being billed as one of the leads, Sakura becomes progressively out of focus after her fight with Ino in Part 1. Up until recent events, she also began to suffer the same in Shippuden following the second Arc.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: All her training under Tsunade allows her to be pretty badass in the first arc of Shippuden, but since Naruto and Sasuke just keep getting stronger, she's rapidly fallen back to being the weakest of the three.
- Petal Power: In the first movie, she used a technique called Sakura Blizzard that involved a large number of tiny explosive tags and cherry blossoms mixed in for good measure.
- Poisoned Weapons: Thanks to Shizune's tutelage she has acquired some poisonous weapons and knockout gas as well.
- Qipao: In part 1.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Ino's blue.
- Rose-Haired Girl
- She's All Grown Up: In Part 2, she asks Naruto if she looks more like a woman, and Naruto says "You look fine. You haven't changed at all". She hasn't changed as much as some of the other genins, but she has grown.
- Shrinking Violet: As a child.
- Skirt Over Slacks: Part of her standard attire.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: At the beginning.
- Extreme Doormat: In Part I towards Sasuke.
- Super Strength: Uses a specialized version of this allowing for powerful strikes.
- Teen Genius: Before the Time Skip, being a good student with precise chakra control and enough knowledge to not need cheating in the written part of the Chuunin exams differentiated her from any other kunoichi. Afterwards, it's what makes her such a good apprentice and medic.
- Took a Level In Badass: Her efforts pay off in Part 2. Boy, do they pay off.
- If Chapter 540 is anything to go by, Sakura might get better. She tricks a Zetsu clone into revealing himself and smashes said clone into the ground, before passing the information on to Intel.
- Took a Level In Kindness: In part II, towards Naruto essentially.
- Training From Hell: Tsunade subjects her to this so Sakura can develop strength, speed and skills.
- Tsundere: Especially when she was younger.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Towards Naruto once or twice but taken Up to Eleven especially in the fillers.
- Weak but Skilled: Weird, right? While it is established Sakura is the strongest physically in the team, if we talk about actual jutsu raw power and development, Sakura is far behind her partners and sensei, specially after both Naruto and Sasuke become Physical Gods. But she is still a skilled ninja and medic, which helps her in battle against far more powerful enemies.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Just watch her reaction to one of Konohamaru's jutsus that included shadow clones of the naked Sai and Sasuke.
In the ninja world, those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum.
Kakashi Hatake is a sneaky, snarky ninja who serves as sensei of Team 7, and also as The Big Guy and The Smart Guy. Prior to Team 7, he had failed every single applicant who had come before him. He's one of the strongest ninja in Konoha, and is never seen without his dirty pornographic novel/manga.
Kakashi, for reasons that are at first unknown, has a Sharingan in his left eye, despite not being of the Uchiha (In a Gaiden Prequel story, the eye was revealed to have been transplanted from his deceased friend Obito Uchiha, one of Sasuke's relatives). Kakashi has mastered its use about as well as a non-Uchiha can, picking up the epithet "Copy Ninja". He knows dozens of techniques and uses them, but his only unique jutsu is the Chidori (and its upgraded form, Raikiri), which electrifies his arm, allowing it to punch through anything. He learned the Rasengan from his former sensei, the Fourth Hokage.
In Shippuden, Naruto and Sakura's development causes Kakashi to serve less as a mentor and more as a comrade. He's somehow managed to pick up a variant of the Mangekyo Sharingan that differs from Itachi's, which he uses to crush Deidara's arm in the first arc. He still teaches Naruto, though, eventually helping him create a more powerful variant of the Rasengan. He has recently confronted one of Pain's bodies. After a long battle, he exhausts all of his Chakra and dies. He makes a recovery. After Danzo's treachery was revealed, the leaders of the other ninja villages have decided to treat Kakashi as the Sixth Hokage, which was pre-empted (to his relief - and the complete and utter angst of his fans - as he admitted he's not the type of person suited for the job) when Tsunade recovered from her coma. After the Shinobi Alliance forms to protect Naruto and Killer Bee from Madara, he is made general of the Third Division.
- And I Must Scream: He was the first in-series victim of the Mangekyo Sharingan's Tsukuyomi, in which Itachi crucified him and stabbed him repeatedly without letting him die. For three days. Without stopping...
- Made of Iron: ... An ordeal, during which, what Kakashi perceived as approximately one minute and forty-eight seconds (counting the time indicator from "I will stab you with a sword for 72 hours" to "71 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds remaining") was only a second. Meaning that the "three days" Kakashi experienced was, to him, closer to about 108 days. And even after being released from the genjutsu, he doesn't immediately pass out. He stays conscious long enough to realize how little time actually passed, and to hear Kisame express surprise that Kakashi is still alive. Mentally Made of Iron? You bet your ass.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Guy : As a kid. Now he isn't.
- Ass Shove: A THOUSAND YEARS OF DEATH!!!!
- Badass Boast: "The "Copy Ninja" Kakashi, the man who copied one thousand techniques… is about to go on a rampage!"
- Badass Bookworm: Naruto calls him "as smart as Shikamaru which, combined with his status as the most elite ninjutsu specialist in the Hidden Leaf, would make him this easily. Inverted with his actual choice of literature- Jiraiya's erotic novels.
- Badass Teacher
- Badass Transplant: His Sharingan.
- Berserk Button: Kakashi REALLY hates Edo Tensei (Impure World Resurrection), a jutsu that revives the dead and forces them to fight for the user. He also hates Kabuto, in no small part due to his insistence on using it.
- BFS: Wields the Executioner's Blade in the 4th world war.
- Big Damn Heroes:He has a habit of joining fights by showing up out of nowhere to save his comrades.
- Break the Haughty: Happens in Kakashi Gaiden.
- Broken Ace
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: The first of many, many examples among the characters. See also Ass Shove, Lovable Sex Maniac, and Badass.
- Canine Companion: Several.
- Child Prodigy: Youngest Genin and Chunnin graduated at 5 and 6.
- The Comically Serious: Kakashi may be a serious character, but that doesn't mean he can't be comedic.
- Cool Teacher
- Covert Pervert: He's obsessed with the "Icha Icha" series, which are adult novels, and gets embarrassed when reading it to others.
- Day in The Limelight: Kakashi Gaiden
- Deadpan Snarker: Always has a straight face. One would imagine the mask probably helps in this department.
- Even the Guys Want Him: The few females and males who have seen him unmasked are, well, very impressed.
- Evil Eye: The Sharingan and then later the Magenkyou Sharingan. It grants him the following abilities...
- Excuse Me While I Multitask: Given a sufficiently inexperienced opponent, he can fight with one hand and read pornographic novels (namely, the "Icha Icha" series written by Jiraiya) with the other. And is quite happy to demonstrate this ability.
- Exotic Eye Designs: His Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Eyepatch of Power: Normally covers his left eye with his headband. Underneath is his Sharingan. He hides it because unlike an Uchiha, Kakashi is incapable of turning it off at will. Only when facing a strong opponent does he uncover it.
- Four-Star Badass
- Generation Xerox: He was mentioned to greatly resemble his father Sakumo Hatake, Konoha's White Fang, which made his enemies tremble in fear of him even when he was just about 13 years of age, mistaking him for his father. Cut to many years after when he is already known as Kakashi of the Sharingan and you know the awesome is In the Blood. Further xerox-ing lays credibility that since the Third Hokage taught the original Sannin of Jiraiya, Orochimaru and Tsunade, and that since the villagers see him as temporary Hokage when Tsunade was in her coma, Kakashi is a generation Xerox of Sarutobi, the Third Hokage.
- Guile Hero
- Henohenomoheji: Seen on Kakashi's decoy scarecrow in Episode 101 ("Gotta See! Gotta Know! Kakashi-Sensei's True Face!"), when Team 7 attempts to unveil Kakashi's true face. It's also featured on the backs of his 9 ninken (Ninja Hounds/Dogs) Summoning group.
- Informed Ability: Kakashi is a Kage-level legendary ninja who has supposedly copied over a thousand jutsu. He is considered "a given" by the sitting Hokage as a possible replacement, and is the first choice of both the head jounin and the Daimyo for the job. Nearly all of his opponents have talked about how dangerous he is when they first face him. Yet, we almost never get to see him go all out, and when he does get to battle he's usually forced to use up chakra protecting his peers. The worst example is probably when he took on the remaining zombified Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. It was implied to be an absolute Curb Stomp Battle in his favour, but it happened entirely off-panel.
- In addition, Kakashi the Copy-Ninja has yet to ever actually copy any jutsu on-screen. In the Land of Waves Zabuza- and subsequently many fans- believed that he had somehow copied and reversed his Water jutsu at the exact moment Zabuza himself was using it, perhaps even before, but by the next battle Zabuza has realised that Kakashi simply used his Sharingan to implant ideas of what jutsu to use in Zabuza's mind, to freak him out, meaning every Water jutsu Zabuza used was already in Kakashi's arsenal. He might have copied Kakuzu's Iron Skin jutsu but if he has, he has yet to demonstrate it.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He's a big fan of Jiraiya's book series.
- Mask Power: Almost never seen without it. The only time his face was uncovered, it wasn't shown onscreen. An anime filler episode revolves around Team 7 trying to see under Kakashi's mask. When they finally get him to remove it in front of them, underneath is... another mask.
- On some covers he doesn't have it, but then his face is usually covered by his book or hand.
- Also, according to Pakkun, he hates being photographed without it.
- Meaningful Name: Kakashi means "scarecrow," and Hatake means "farmland or field." Both are an obvious reference to his tall and lean appearance. This also ties to his use of a Henohenomoheji logo on his summoned dogs and decoys. There's also the fact that real life ninjas often disguised themselves as poor farmers. Get's into Theme Naming when you consider his Dad's name could come from the the word Sakumotsu, which translates to "Crops".
- Mr. Exposition: In the first arc.
- Multilayer Facade: Kakashi is a literal case: he wears another mask under his mask.
- My Greatest Failure: Tends to dwell on this, especially regarding Obito, losing track of time at the Memorial Stone by reminding himself of how he has failed. And then there's the issue of his second team...
- Nonchalant Dodge: The Trope picture
- No Mouth: Keeps his mouth concealed behind a mask at all times. Played with in the best filler of the anime.
- The Nose Knows: He is said to have a very good sense of smell. And he has a pack of trained canines.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: We first meet Kakashi as a goofy teacher who falls for one of Naruto's unbelievably idiotic pranks, but he soon reveals himself to be Badass. His enemies do know he's dangerous, and treat him as such, but he's FAR more dangerous than most of them have been led to believe.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Kakashi vs The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. Kakashi won apparently.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: While certainly a versatile, experienced and highly competent fighter, his battles have been somewhat a letdown compared to say Akatsuki, Orochimaru or the Kages. He also suffers a lot of The Worf Effect against this opponents, even more than Sasuke. A fairly common complaint is that he's hyped to be stronger than he is, especially in the Databooks, where he's hyped to be one of the most formidable shinobi alive--YMMV, seeing as those who Worf him tend to have attained a similar Shrouded in Myth status.
- Parental Abandonment:His father Sakumo committed suicide when Kakashi was six-years old and his mother died before then.
- Red Baron: Kakashi has two famous nicknames first being Kakashi of the Sharingan, second being The Copy Ninja.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to Might Guy's Red & Obito's Red.
- Sempai-Kohai: Senpai to Yugao, Yamato and Sai (who considers him as such in the anime). Also Shizune addresses with the honorfic.
- Shock and Awe: Chidori, Raikiri/Lightning Blade, them lightning hounds, etc
- Shrouded in Myth: See Red Baron. And just what the hell is behind that mask? Another mask.
- Signature Move: Raikiri/Lightning Blade, similar to the Chidori only better.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: His bell test. This is what contrasts him to Kurenai, since she was willing to take Hinata in despite her being perceived as weak.
- The Stoic
- Team Dad: To Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke.
- Took a Level In Badass: It's more subtle than most of the cast, but think about it. The first time we see him go all-out using the Sharingan, summons, and a Raikiri is enough to tire him out. Post-time skip, he's somehow got a Mangekyo that can send stuff through another dimension, and against Kakuzu he's firing off Raikiri like cheap kunai and staying on his feet afterwards.
- Took a Level In Kindness: Obito's death made him realize how important it was to care for your comrades more.
- Tragic Keepsake:He kept his fathers Tanto for a good bit, but his sharingan eye, which was transplanted into him from his dead best friend, Obito Uchiha is what really falls into this trope.
- Tranquil Fury: What happens when he truly gets pissed.
- Unknown Rival: Guy is his, though it may be more that Kakashi does not want to acknowledge it.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- The Worf Effect: His only real victory has been against Zabuza. After that he's only been used to show how strong whatever enemy comes along is, often with him commenting about how much stronger than him they are. That said, he fares a lot better in team battles (against Akatsuki) contributing to victories over Deidara, Itachi (sort of--it's complicated) and Hidan/Kakuzu. Which makes quite a lot of sense when you remember "teamwork" is pretty much everything to the man.
SaiStarting in Shippuden, two members are added to Team 7. Initially, they were just meant to be replacements for Kakashi after his overuse of the Mangekyo Sharingan during the first Shippuden arc exhausted him to the point where he had to be hospitalized, but they've stuck around for subsequent arcs.
A smile can get you out of a tough situation, even if it is fake.
Sai is... a jerk, to put it mildly. A ninja from the village of Konoha, pretty much all that is known about Sai is that he's a loner and that he has no family. He's a member of ANBU's Root Division, and first joins Team 7 in the second arc. "Sai", a type of three-pronged dagger, is probably a pseudonym, but who knows? Given Root's... special methods of training, it might even be his real name.
As one might expect from someone who isn't around people much, Sai doesn't exactly make the greatest of first impressions on his teammates. Indeed, his first actions are to question Naruto's manhood, call Sakura ugly, and diss their former teammate Sasuke. Naruto flatly states that he'll only put up with Sai for Sasuke's sake. He claims to have no personality whatsoever -- being polite or assholic is just a front for him.
A talented artist, Sai claims to have drawn several thousand pictures in his life, but, in keeping with his role as the hollow man, finds himself incapable of ever giving one a title. Sai uses his art in his jutsu. He has the ability to animate his drawings, creating creatures for attack or espionage, or generating clones out of ink.
It seems, however, that his purpose is more than just filling out Team 7. In reality, he was given the job by Danzo to assassinate Sasuke -- a task which he's clearly unable to do. He has a change of heart and forms a genuine friendship with Naruto and Sakura, although he's very socially awkward (which is often Played for Laughs).
When the Shinobi Alliance formed divisions to fight against Madara, Sai was placed in the Ambush Division under Kankuro and alongside Omoi. They fight Deidara, Sasori, and two other Edo Tensei zombies. One of whom turned out to be Sai's deceased brother.
- And I Must Scream: one of his latest techniques, named Sealing Technique: Stalking Predator Launch, consists of an animated drawing of a tiger which can attack the enemy and then go back in the drawing with him.
- Art Initiates Life: His ability the Cartoon Beast Mimicry, with it he paints ink creatures to assist him in battles including: Lions and tigers for attacking and sealing, birds for transportation and aerial assaults, snakes for binding enemies, rats for tracking and even The Two Benevolent Kings for brute force.
- Author Avatar
- Bare Your Midriff: A rare male example.
- Berserk Button: When Deidara blows up his brother and threatens to do it again and again. Then he insults Sai's art. To say that Sai was pissed is an understatement.
- Brutal Honesty: At first on account of his lack of social skills. Eventually, just out of genuine concern for his friends.
- The Comically Serious: Zigzags between this and Deadpan Snarker not quite fully understanding humor due to his emotionless nature so its hard to tell when he's using Brutal Honesty, snarking or is genuinely confused or serious.
- Cool Sword: Specializes in long-ranged combat with his ninjutsu but is no slouch in taijutsu and swordfighting.
- Deadpan Snarker: His only reaction to Konohamaru's "reverse" version of the Sexy Jutsu? "Ah. So that's me".
- More deadpan than snarker, other than insulting Naruto a few times early on.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Emotion Suppression: Being a member of a special ANBU branch, Sai has undergone a training that removed his emotions. It also left him with No Social Skills.
- Honorifics: Uses them on Naruto and Sakura at first, despite being quite rude to them in most other regards, but drops them when trying to become friends with them.
- Horse of a Different Color: His ability to surf on flying ink birds makes him one of the few flyers in the series.
- Identical Stranger: To Sasuke.
- Jack of All Stats: According to the databook, his skill levels in the various aspects of being a ninja are actually not far from one another. They all range between 3 and 4 (inclusive) out of a maximum score of 5. This makes his skill set really balanced when compared to the majority of other characters in the franchise.
- Jerkass --> Sugar and Ice Personality
- Mr. Fanservice
- Mysterious Past: We only know that he's been in the ANBU for a long time and he's got a dead brother.
- No Social Skills
- Only One Name: Technically not his real one, but he prefers going by it.
- Paper Talisman: He can create paper bombs by the dozen by painting them.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Noted for being both good looking and eerie.
- Rei Clone: No Social Skills -- check, pale-skinned -- check, Mysterious Past -- check.
- The Quiet One
- Restraining Bolt: Has a seal on his tongue that prevents him from revealing any information about Danzo, though this disappears after said character's death.
- Smoke Out: Sai is very skilled with the body flicker technique, having an ink variant.
- Sempai-Kohai: Considers Kakashi a senpai, as well as a nameless older member of Root.
- Stepford Smiler: Smiles to please those he interacts with despite being emotionless.
- The Stoic
- Took a Level In Kindness
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Sakura for having Naruto promise to bring back Sasuke and expecting him to keep working at it when it's rather obvious Naruto loves her. He compares the binding of this promise to his own abuse at the hands of Root/Danzo.
I like being nice and friendly, but I don't have any problems with ruling by fear either.
Real Name: Tenzou
A member of ANBU, and one of Kakashi's juniors, he is made the temporary Captain of Team 7 while Kakashi recovers in the hospital. As he serves as more of a unit leader than a mentor, Naruto and Sakura call him "taichou"("Captain" or "Commander" in the English manga) instead of "sensei". The name "Yamato" (which means "spear") is actually a codename given to him by Tsunade; his real name is Tenzou. He very much prefers to be called Yamato.
As a child, Yamato was one of sixty infants that Orochimaru injected with the DNA of the First Hokage, trying to replicate the First's unique abilities. Fifty-nine died, and Orochimaru was forced to flee the village before learning that one subject -- Yamato -- had survived. As a result, Yamato can use the First Hokage's Mokuton ("Wood-style") jutsus, although not with the First's level of ability.
Yamato is a friendly, easygoing person. He prefers diplomacy over using threats when it comes to running his team, but he's not afraid to scare Naruto into doing what he wants. He notes that he's less indulgent than Kakashi is, and says that Naruto and Sakura should not be treated as ninjas in training who need protection, but as ninjas who will eventually have to support Konoha. It's revealed that he was selected as Captain for more than his Mokuton abilities -- he is the only person in the village capable of using Enclosed Hermitage: Return to Society, which, in turn, is the only technique strong enough to contain Naruto's four-tailed Fox state. He later helps Naruto with his training, helping to prevent the fox's chakra from becoming dominant. After the Shinobi Alliance decides to hide the remaining jinchuriki, Yamato accompanies Naruto to a hidden island in Lightning Country, but gets captured by Kabuto.
- Butt Monkey: Kakashi tends to comically take advantage of him for little things like paying for meals.
- The Captain
- Child Prodigy: Ties with Kakashi with being the youngest Chunin at 6.
- The Comically Serious: Most of the interaction between Bee & Naruto leaves him speechless.
- Death Glare : His "ghoul eyes," although only Naruto seems to be scared by it.
- Fate Worse Than Death / Fridge Horror : So Yamato was abducted as a child and experimented upon by a creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist. He survives, goes on to become a fairly well-adjusted adult, only to be ultimately abducted yet again by another creepy snake-themed Mad Scientist (the protege of the first one, no less!). Oh and then it is strongly implied that after having vital information forcibly extracted from him, he will be used for endless experimentation again. Disturbing much?
- Green Thumb: His use of the wood techniques, which also require him to be able to control water and earth as well.
- Meaningful Name: Yamato may be named after Yamato Takeru, a legendary prince believed to be the first ninja. Tenzou means "heavenly creation" and refers to things created by nature, which fits with his wood powers.
- Sempai-Kohai: Kakashi is his senpai, and he once brings up this fact when trying to get him to pay for a meal.
- The Smart Guy
- The Stoic: Typically calm and levelheaded, although he can be disturbed by shocking developments.
- Superpowerful Genetics: He was the only child to accept and survive the Shodai Hokage's cells in Orochimaru's experiments and the only one who can use his highly coveted Wood Release jutsu. That is until Danzo and Zetsu are introduced anyway.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Honestly, if you are ever a comrade of Naruto's, you will end up becoming this at some point, but it will usually peter out after a while.