|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Last thing I remember, I wasBut you can never leave!
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
—Hotel California, The Eagles
Nan has the ability to hum showtunes. She is a repairwoman, and today she is doing some jobs. One in an arcade, and one in a hotel.
In the arcade, she fixes a fusebox, gets a check for her services, and some free pizza from the owner.
She then bikes off to the hotel with her pizza, where she is to fix a broken outlet. In the hotel... Well..
- Above Good and Evil: Santiago embraces this so much that some readers suspect he is trying to assure himself of this.
- Aerith and Bob: Nan is apparently the only one around with an animal-oriented name, while most everyone else has Spanish or English oriented ones. (depending on what time they entered the hotel)
- Alternate Universe: Maybe.
- To elaborate, sometimes when Nan travels through time, she ends up seeing horrifying monsters that bear eerie resemblances to the main characters.
- Anyone Can Die
- Apocalyptic Log: The journal of Father Velaico.
for the love of god
- Arc Number: 466
- The Atoner: Pablo's done something terrible. Anna seems to feel she has too, and thinks that maybe so has everyone else, they just don't remember.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.
- Attempted Rape: Santiago attempts to rape Nan in the chapel, but he is stopped just in time by Henry.
- Bad Future: As an alternative to Alternate Universe.
- Catch Phrase: Sort of:
Nan: Stop being such a downer.
- Character Title
- The Corruption: It appears that Santiago is very infected with it, and Nan wants to help him even after he tried to rape her.
- Continuity Nod: "God is not present here"
- Creepy Cathedral: The hotel was built on a spanish mission, but it wasn't creepy when it was around.
I heard the mission bell.
[[spoiler:And I was thinking to myself,
this could be heaven, and this could be hell.]]
- Death Song: Santiago writes and performs a titular one for Anna.
- Door to Before: Literally.
- Eldritch Location
- Expy: Nan to Ruby and Santiago to Red, probably.
- Eye Scream: There is something wrong with Santiago's eyes.
- Five-Man Band
- Flash Back: First, to what looks like Anna in an elevator shaft she worked on in the past and second, to 1828, at the Spanish mission before the hotel existed.
- Freak-Out: 'Nan freaks the fuck out.'
- Future Me Scares Me: Averted. Nan's future self is exactly the same as her, only wearing a cloth around her mouth, and Lorenzo has not met The Pilgrim.
- On the other hand, what's going on behind Nan's future self scare the piss out of past Nan.
- Epic Fail Gameplay Derailment: The return of "NotWeaver"!
- Groin Attack: By Nan to Santiago. Ineffective, though.
- Gross Up Close-Up/ Squick/ Eyes Do Not Belong There:
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year, you can find it here
- Infernal Retaliation: The Padre, after being headbutted into a fire by Nan.
- Jump Scare
- Kill It with Fire: The Padre doesn't even mind.
- Kim, during an illusion, gets trapped in the boiler and burned alive.
- Known Only By Their Nickname: Most of the "Uninvited Things".
- Let's Split Up, Gang!: The group splits into groups of two. Anna and Pablo don't make it back.
- Light Is Not Good: According to Santiago;
"If you insist on bringing light to the darkness, realize you won't always like what you find
Some things are better left in the dark, Nan
Some things should never be brought to light"
- Madness Mantra:
- "for the love of god"
- "into the fire into the fire into the fire into the fire into the fire "
- Mature Animal Story
- Meaningful Background Event: After Nan fixes the fuse box at the arcade, Kim is there as one of the customers.
- Meaningful Echo:
- "You can't help anyone."
- "Some things are better left in the dark."
- Memento MacGuffin: That cross pendant is important somehow.
- Mirror Monster: Henry moved out of the way of the mirror, but the mirror behind him kept reflecting his head. Then the Henry in the mirror turned around. And smiled.
- Mythology Gag: Early on, the adventure narration casually mentions that "It's another fine day here in the Glen." Fans of Ruby Quest freaked out just as Nan walked outside and revealed... that she lives in Cedar Glen Apartments.
- Never the Selves Shall Meet: Subverted. Nan sees her future self about to be attacked by a monster, and slams the door on her. Later in the story, Nan gets the door slammed on her by her past self. Cue Oh Crap moment.
- Petting Zoo People: Of the Furry Denial variation.
- Psychological Horror
- Room Full of Crazy/ Mad Artist: There is a room full of stretched canvases covered in what looks like blood with shapes similar to the main characters.
- Sinister Minister: The Padre; a nightmarish, Implacable Man Spanish priest. He might not have always been like that, though...
- Shout-Out: One of the monsters from early in the game looks an awful lot like Stitches mutated form.
- Slasher Smile: Santiago. Constantly.
- Also, Henry's "mirror face".
- Survival Horror
- Suspiciously Apropos Music:
- Time Travel
[[spoiler:So I called up the captain,
’Please bring me my wine.’
He said, ’we haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine.’]]
- Next Sunday AD: Anna turns out to be from 2016, in a story that began in the "present" of 2009.
- What Year Is This?: Alternatively 2009, 2016, 1912, 1936, 1946 1966, 1986 and 1828. All at once.
- You All Meet in An Inn