|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
NEWS is a Japanese boy band under Johnnys & Associates that released their first single in 2003, and then had a major debut in 2004. The group currently contains four members: Koyama Keiichiro, Tegoshi Yuya, Masuda Takahisa and Kato Shigeaki. At the time of their major debut they had a total of nine members altogether including Yamashita Tomohisa (also known as Yamapi), Nishikido Ryo, Moriuchi Takahiro, Uchi Hiroki (who was also a member of Kanjani8) and Kusano Hironori. After their first concert, Moriuchi left the group. Two years later, Uchi was suspended indefinitely from both Kanjani8 and NEWS for an underaged drinking scandal and then a year later in 2006, Kusano suffered the same fate, which caused the suspension of the group in 2006.
While NEWS is successful as a group, they are known for carrying out activities separately. Yamashita Tomohisa has been active as a solo artist, and released singles as part of "Shuuji to Akira" and "GYM". Similarly, Tegoshi Yuya and Masuda Takahisa work outside of NEWS as the duo "Tegomass" and have had regular tours and CD and DVD releases. Nishikido Ryo worked outside of NEWS as part of fellow Johnnys & Associates boyband Kanjani 8, like Uchi Hiroki, but as of 2011, both Yamapi and Nishikido have left NEWS; the former to focus on his solo projects and the latter, due to scheduling conflicts that made it difficult to be in both groups.
- Boy Band: An all boy group which dances together and often sings about love? Yup.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Masuda Takahisa. "...PAN-DA!" insert looks of confusion here...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nishikido Ryo, who is famous for having a "poison tongue". He is open with criticism he has for the other members, but loves them deep down.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: Yamashita Tomohisa's got a nice set of muscle moobs growing.
- The Smart Guy: Kato Shigeaki graduated from university after studying law, is good with technology and full of random trivia. The other members often rely on him to explain things or set up their new computers.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Masuda Takahisa considers himself the "fashion leader" of NEWS. Others aren't so sure.
- Big Eater: Fans consider Masuda Takahisa to be one.
- Spoiled Sweet: Tegoshi Yuya, known as the 'harmlessly' self-centered youngest member of the group.
- The Idiot From Osaka: Original member Uchi Hiroki played this up. Nishikido Ryo is also from Osaka but tries to avoid this label.
- WTH Costuming Department: NEWS has had a lot of questionable costumes, especially their floral print suits used for Kibou ~Yell~ that look like they were cut off your grandmother's couch.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Notably Tegoshi Yuya and Shigeaki Kato... well sorta
- The Chick: Koyama Keiichiro. The oldest and arguably The Heart and Team Mom of the group with his conflict-averse personality.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Oh yes, you bet they are. With the exception of Koyama who vacillates between Brown and Purple, the other members generally stick to the same colors when it comes to costumes. Tegoshi is Pink, Kato is Green, Nishikido is Blue, Yamashita is Red and Masuda is Yellow.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Koyama Keiichiro, who adores his pet cat Nyanta.
- Imaginary Friend: Kato Shigeaki writes his online journal entries from the prospective of Wagahai, his imaginary pet cat.
- Everythings Funkier With Disco: The music video for their "Koi no ABO" single, which starts out harmless enough but ends with them disco dancing in white suits under several disco balls.
- Just for Pun: Massu's solo song "Massuperman" has tons of japanese puns regarding food.
- Cherry Blossoms: Their single "Sakura Girl" which compares lost love to cherry blossoms.
- Don't Think, Feel: Their upbeat and motivational single "Fighting Man" contains the English lyrics "Don't think. Feel! Bring it on" in the chorus.