|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Film watched: Invasion of the Neptune Men
"Suffice it to say that the reprehensible nature of Invasion of the Neptune Men is embodied in the filmmaker's choice to use actual WWII file footage in what is ostensibly a children's film. To glibly summon the darkest shadows of our century because one has run out of models to blow up is to stoop to Schumacherian levels of banality. Though we as a rule cut only for time, we also cut for violent content, and we very clearly considered aerial bombardment footage of Japan to be of a violent nature. Nuff said. ...can you tell I hated this film?"—Kevin Murphy, voice and puppeteer of Tom Servo
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Berserk Button: Both on and off screen for the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew. On screen, the film was among those that came the closest to breaking the Satellite of Love crew, and sparked Servo's meltdown at the top. Off screen, as noted above, the production staff and cast was extremely disapproving of what appeared to be genuine WW 2 bombing footage being incorporated into what was essentially a sci-fi film, an attitude that was given free rein in the more-merciless-than-usual riffing.
- Big "What?": Mike and the Bots' reaction upon seeing the Hitler Building.
- Brain Bleach: Bobo's statue.
Bobo: Heavens, I'm nude!
- Heroic BSOD: Mike and the bots' reaction to the film.
Crow: "To be dead, to be nothing...to watch Neptune Men no more."
- Hypocritical Humour: "HA-HA-HA-HA-HA--Your costume is ridiculous!"
- Mondegreen: The "Roji Panty Complex", although whatever they're trying to say doesn't seem to make much more sence.
- Mythology Gag: A lot of riffs make references to Prince of Space.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Mike tries to force this ending on the movie
Mike: They were never seen again and Japan came to an end!
- Running Gag: "Where's my record?"
- Sanity Slippage: You bet.
- Shout-Out: "Starring Santa! Speed Racer! Shonen Knife! Sailor Moon!"
- Soap Opera Disease: Servo catches Roji Panty Complex from the movie and is bedridden for one host segment, while Mike has to administer four-packs of female undergarments. Crow then decides he has it too.
- Special Guest: The Phantom of Krankor from Prince of Space shows up in one host segment. The movie is so soul-crushingly bad that Mike and the bots are glad to see him, and indeed, he saves them from finally going insane.
- Take That: Done for laughs with the "Suggestions for Japan" segment:
Crow: Dear Japan, stop making movies!
- Mike reads one of Crow's suggestions:
Tom Servo: The MTV news thing is broken!
- Who's on First?: One of the host segments:
Crow: "Mike, will you tell me the name of your favorite Japanese theater?"
Crow: "Why not?!"
- Later, of all people --
Gypsy: I get it.