|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Original work: The Skydivers
Short: "Why Study Industrial Arts"
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Mike consoles Servo after Crow's Uranus Is Showing jokes, only to lose control of his drink when Crow says one more.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra: Servo sings the opening notes at the beginning of his ill-fated planetarium show.
- Artistic License Physics: Let's just say Servo Did Not Do the Research on his Astronomy presentation.
- Better Than Sex: Crow uses this phrase to mock the movie's fixation with coffee, as well as the lack of chemistry between the two lead characters.
Beth: I made some coffee.
Crow: Coffee? Wow, that's better than sex!
- The Chew Toy / Iron Butt Monkey: Crow. In this episode alone, he accidentally saws himself in half, puts himself in a double jock lock, gets blasted by Servo's fighter plane, and gets tangled in his parachute, and it's all played for laughs.
- Crow tells Servo that it's the key to being a Determinator.
- Cooking Duel: Mike & The Bots vs Deep 13 in a battle of Swing Choir medleys.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In the opening, Crow ruins Servo's planetarium show. In the third interval, Servo picks up a fighter plane, blasting Crow and his recently-acquired car. And that's the only misfortune Crow suffers we know for sure Servo caused.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The student's unsettling narration at the start of Why Study Industrial Arts about why he studies Industrial Arts. The riffing picks up on the subtext:
Student: And you know, I like the feel of a board moving smoothly against a sharp saw.
Mike: Then I thrust the nail into the soft, yielding wood...
- Hair Wings: They speculate that Beth's very rigidly-styled hair could double as a parachute.
Crow: I predict in the climactic scene she jumps without a chute and her hair opens up.
- Hot Amazon / Brawn Hilda: And HOW. The "beefy girl" at the party, who even picks up a guy and tosses him like a beanbag. Servo gives her a masculine, gruff voice while Mike calls her Tom Boerwinkle, a big ex-NBA player.
- Informed Attractiveness: Suzy is supposedly the sultry temptress of the parachuting camp, beautiful enough to drive men to murder. Mike instead speculates, "I bet she smells like Marlboros and Arpege and Juicy Fruit and body odor."
- Lifetime Movie of the Week: Crow calls the film a "chick film" at the end. In a weird way, he's not wrong.
- Must Have Caffeine: Everyone in this movie. Affairs are built and lives are destroyed around cups of coffee.
Servo: Even the soundtrack is making coffee!
Mike: (nauseated) ...did Forrester's dance make anyone else physically ill?
Crow: I LIKED IT!
Crow: (as industrial arts student) Tap-ta-tap-tap... I keep Popular Mechanics under my mattress!
- Running Gag. Beth's hair.
- Don't forget Petey Plane, kids!
- Uranus Is Showing: Crow unleashes a barrage of "Uranus" jokes during Tom's planetarium show.