|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here:
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be Zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by Unknown Troper, Seconded by User:Man Called True
- The archives of MSTers Megane 6.7, Scott "Zoogz" Jamison, and Jack Acid. All of their work is very funny and quite well-written, particularly Zoogz's MS Ting of Sailor Trigger.
- User:Man Called True: In order to spare this unsigned entry from oblivion, I second it. Megane 6.7's cosporking of "3:16 Rules!!!!!" is one of my personal favorites. And then there's the Oscarfics.
- Thirded by User:Doryna, who spent many happy hours in college reading Megane 6.7's MSTings when she should have probably been studying for finals.
- Recommended by User:Binaroid
- An archive of MSTings of Anime, video game, and other genres, dating back to 1996. Contains collections of works by Doctor Thinker, Eyrie Productions Unlimited, and Stephen Ratliff's "Marissa Picard" stories.
- Recommended by User:Snoofleglax
- The two House MiSTings done by a fellow named pitbap. A poster on house_mst, which does MiSTings with characters from the show.
- Snoofleglax: Though he's only written two so far, his MiSTings are hilariously written and both of them were more than enough to leave me literally choking with laughter (hint: don't eat a Pop Tart while reading them). House and the others are well-written and in character, and somehow he's managed to capture the feel of House's snarkiness in text form.
- Link's dead; it takes you to a big FRIENDS ONLY sign.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Mark Lungo
- Two of the first MSTings this troper ever read, and two of the very best. The stories, both written or co-written by the notorious David Gonterman, are extremely deserving targets. They're Crossover fics in which Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers meet characters from The Secret of NIMH, but everyone is overshadowed by Author Avatar Jonathan Brisby IV, who saves the day while romancing Gadget and repeatedly Breaking the Fourth Wall. Expect gratuitous editorializing on everything from politics to the state of Disney, various varieties of Squick, tedious cameos by and Shout Outs to characters from other series, and lots of horrible spelling and grammar. Fortunately, Mike and the bots are up to the challenge; the riffing is among the best I've read in any MSTing, partially because the stories give the riffers an ideal showcase for their talents.
MiSTing of The Eye of Argon
- Recommended by pretty much everyone, but User:Freezair For A Limited Time was the one who finally added it here (though you can find a link to it on the The Eye of Argon page, too).
- One of the classic MSTings, this follows Mike and the 'bots on their journey through the "magical" land of The Eye of Argon. Some of its lines have even made their way to being page quotes on this very wiki — a true sign of a brilliant fic. Even better yet, it actually turned this troper on toward the original TV show. She'd never watched an episode of the show prior to reading this fic, but after seeing it linked here on TV Tropes, she read it — and immediately couldn't snap up enough of the original show. Now there's a recommendation!
MSTing of Dark Dungeons
- Recommended by: @/Jsonitsac
- A MSTing of the Chick Tract "Dark Dungeons," which is Jack Chick's condemnation of Tabletop Games ("Dark Dungeons" is an Fictional Counterpart for Dungeons and Dragons). The website is set up like a Sci Fi Channel episode of the show, complete with a MIDI and animated GIF version of the opening sequence. The jokes not only go after Chick's bashing of things he doesn't understand but also make plenty of references to geek and tabletop RPG culture.
Mystery Science Theater Adventures by Emi Briet
- Recommended by User:Toby Mobias
- A collection of short, script-styled fanfics that bridge off from canon some point before the end of Season 6 (TV's Frank is around in the first short). The general synopsis is that Joel has been returned to the SOL and, after Dr. F cuts them loose, they drift off into deep space. Joel and Mike get frozen and the bots switch off eventually. Four hundred years later, they are found by a "Dominion" (i.e., Starfleet) ship, and their propulsion systems are fixed to they can cruise around the universe. After some time traveling wackiness, the crew crash lands in China...where they fall into the Spring of the Drowned Girl. Yes, all of them.
- Apart from a few canon errors (Mike never worked for Gizmonic; he was a temp) and repeated usage of "Gizmonics", it's a pretty good read with some great humor and the characters are written in-character. Well, one could make arguments for Cambot...
3000: A Space Oddity by Mike Barklage
- Recommended by User:Doryna
- A story set in Season 5 right after Mike's ascendancy to the Satellite of Love, it details Joel's adventures following his escape, including the consequences of accidentally defrauding Gizmonic Institute of $14.78, foiling Dr. Forrester's sinister and quite outlandish plot to take over the world (of course!) and building yet another robot companion to assist him in all the chaos. Very much in the spirit of the show, quite meta, and hilarious all around. Some knowledge of the early series is handy for getting all the jokes, but not needed to understand the story.
- For a time, the link led to Molossia's website. It shouldn't anymore, but keep we should keep our eyes out for some kind of conspiracy. Bet Dr. F's trying to erase the evidence...
MST3K II by Xavier Writes
- Recommended by User:Mogo
- Set after the end of the series, Mike's apartment is launched into space by Doctor Erdhart, who has decided to continue the experiment and make Mike Nelson and his robot pals torture themselves with the worst Fan Fiction he can find. Feels just like the show, complete with host segments during the fic, definitely worth a read for both hardcore MSTies and newbies alike.
- User:Wario Barker: Easily the best thing I've read in some time, despite remaining dormant for over 18 months (although if you're going to never update this again, the end of Chapter 12/Episode 10 is a pretty good way to go). Highly recommended.
- Recommended by User:Maniago
- Set during the final episode of the series, between the moment the SOL crashes on earth and the final scene with Mike and the bots in their new apartment. Shows how they survive the crash, get in trouble with Gizmonic Institue, and meet both Joel and Dr. Erdhart again.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Sadly, none listed here yet, although there's a growing bit of it out there — check out Livejournal's MST3KSlash webpage, or just Google "Mystery Science Theater 3000 slashfic". Joel/Mike is the most frequent pairing, known as "JOIKE" after Gypsy's sweater during the episode mocking the Mexican flick Santa Claus.