|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
My Pet Monster is a 1986 direct-to-video movie based on a toy of the same name. It's about a young boy named Max who goes to a museum and sees a statue resembling the titular monster which somehow turns him into a monster (but only when he's hungry). Also turned into an Animated Adaptation.
Tropes found in this movie
- Covers Always Lie: The monster looks nothing like the creature on the cover of the box. That's because the costume used in the movie was so cheap and awful that they decided to use a doll instead.
- Gecko Ending
- In Name Only: The movie does a Title Drop, at one point, but shouldn't the point of the movie be the fact that the Monster is supposed to be the pet? The title makes no sense when you take those facts into consideration.
- There was a Saturday morning cartoon version where the monster actually is Max's pet, rather than Max turning into the monster.
- Merchandise-Driven: It's a movie based on a stuffed animal.
- Morally-Ambiguous Doctorate
- Paper-Thin Disguise
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: The villain fell off of a window ledge and exited a building using the door. No explanation is given for how this might be possible.
- Sequel Hook
- Title Drop