|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
My Man Godfrey is a classic 1936 screwball comedy starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. The time is The Great Depression, and a number of men down on their luck are living in the city dump. By chance, a party of rich people, including Irene Bullock, show up to claim one of the "forgotten men" to win a scavenger hunt. She chooses Godfrey and wins the hunt, and afterward offers him a job as the family butler. Hilarity Ensues as he is confronted with a mad household of spoiled brats and Cloud Cuckoolanders. While Irene falls madly in love with Godfrey, the feeling is not mutual (at first).
- Cloudcuckoolander: Irene and Mrs. Bullock.
- Credits Brand Products: The opening credits are on neon signs.
- Deadpan Snarker: Molly, the maid.
- Hangover Sensitivity: Mrs. Bullock usually has one in the morning. She sees "pixies".
- Hideous Hangover Cure: "Pixie Remover," namely tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Hidden Depths: Godfrey, who is more business savvy than he appears.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: During a typical evening at home, Mr. Bullock takes a whole tray of martinis & asks Godfrey to repeat the order in 30 minutes.
- Looped Lyrics: Carlo singing "Ochi Tchorniye," but none of the other lyrics, so it's close to a Single-Stanza Song. Bonus points to Mrs. Bullock for not knowing the name of the song.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Irene is one of the first in film history.
- Only Sane Man: Mr. Bullock and Godfrey.
- Rich Bitch: Cornelia.
- Screwball Comedy
- Secretly Wealthy: Godfrey Smith (aka Godfrey Park).
- Servile Snarker: the maid Molly, especially to the cops.
- Spoiled Sweet: Irene. While ditzy, she still is kind to Godfrey, which is why he agrees to go with her for the scavenger hunt, as opposed to her older Rich Bitch sister.