|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia in Japanese) is a manga (with an anime adaptation and a video game) about a high-school for superheroes.
In a World where 80% of people have some kind of superpower (or "Quirk" as they call it in-universe), Izuku Midoriya is one of the 20% who does not. Even so, he dreams of being a hero, idolizing the mighty All Might and planning to apply to the prestigious U.A. High School, where all the best heroes went to school (although being "Quirkless" will put him at a disadvantage). One day, he encounters All Might, and impresses him with his strength of character -- and while All Might admits that being a hero without a Quirk is basically impossible, he might be able to fix that...
Written and illustrated by Kouhei Horikoshi. Published on Shueisha's Weekly Shounen Jump".
- All of the Other Reindeer: Izuku got looked down on by his classmates for being Quirkless. Even his mother reacted to the "diagnosis" with pity, rather than supporting his dream of becoming a hero anyway.
- Awesomeness By Analysis: Izuku is utterly obsessed with heroes, filling notebook after notebook with what he's learned about them. Even without tapping his power, he's a strong strategist.
- Career-Ending Injury: Sometimes Stain deliberately spares the life of his victims. On such occasions he sees to it that they can't be a pro-hero any more For example Tenya's brother.
- Crime of Self Defense: After Stain is defeated, the students involved are told that they broke the law. The cop telling them however, says that he is perfectly willing to keep how what really happened a secret and let someone else allowed to take credit to take the credit.
- Eagleland: All Might, Type 1. The man is heroic to a fault, boisterous and friendly to all he aids, and calls his attacks names from American geography. "TEXAS SMASH!"
- Fille Fatalons: Kuin Hachisuka wields dangerous and very long nails, usable as deadly weapons, as part of her Queen Bee quirk especially when boosted with Trigger..
- Hour of Power: Well, three hours (per day) and falling, but All Might's powers are on a timer since sustaining an injury some time ago. Using them any longer risks injuring or killing him.
- I Resemble That Remark: When Tsu comments that Katsuki is always angry, Katsuki...gets really angry.
Tsuyu: ... [Katsuki] Bakugo's always angry, so he'll never be that popular.
Katsuki: WHAT DID YOU SAY?! I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!
- Male Gaze: Midnight get a lot of focus in her erogenous zones in chapter 45.
- Power Incontinence: Until he learns control, Izuku's super-strength destroys whatever part of his body he empowers.
- Pretentious Latin Motto: U.A.'s motto is "Plus Ultra", or "Go Beyond".
- Stepford Smiler: All Might is known for smiling broadly, under all circumstances, but his smile (and his heroic demeanor in general) is in part driven by the world's need for a symbol of peace.
- Super-Hero School: U.A. is one of the most prestigious, although given that 80% of people in the world have Quirks, most schools devote at least some time to handling and training Quirks.
- To Be a Master: While Izuku usually states his dream is to simply be a hero, on at least one occasion he states he wants to be the best hero. Katsuki also wants to be the best hero... and is utterly consumed by the thought that some of his classmates might be better.
- Training From Hell: All Might developed a ten-month training regimen and diet to prepare Izuku's body to receive All Might's power. It was grueling enough on its own, consisting of clearing garbage (like tires, refrigerators, and other heavy detritus) from a beach with alternating muscle groups, but then Izuku added his own studying on top of it, and nearly destroyed himself. (Fortunately, All Might caught on in time and reined him in.)
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future: Zigzagged. The story takes place decades, maybe even over a century, in the future from now. But technology is largely the same because most of that time society spending it's efforts to adjust to the emergence of quirks. And that was not an environment optimal for technological innovations. One person said that if it wasn't for quirks humans would have been on the planet Mars by now.
- World of Ham: Comes of being a world with heavy influence from superhero comics. All Might and Present Mic stand out, but on the student side, Tenya and Katsuki give them a run for their money when the adrenaline starts running.