|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
After a one-night stand gone horribly awry, high school student Jeremy Capello finds himself one of the undead. (Sort of...) Now he must come to terms with being a vampire while trying to get a date with the girl of his (literal) dreams. Oh, and it doesn't help that there are a couple of vampire hunters in the neighborhood...
A lighthearted 1980s teen comedy with all the silliness one would expect thereof.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: subverted -- Jeremy ignores cheerleader Candy's obvious interest in him to go after Darla.
- Beautiful All Along: Darla, the band nerd.
- Casanova Wannabe: Jeremy's friend Ralph.
- Dream Sequence: At the beginning of the film, Jeremy has a particularly bizarre dream involving the girl's locker room, Darla and a nun with a pair of giant shears...
- The Eighties: The film was made in 1988.
- Femme Fatale: Nora.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampires: Modoc and Jeremy.
- Heel Face Turn: Professor McCarthy at the end, after getting om-nom-nom-nominated by the other vampires.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Robert Sean Leonard as Jeremy, David Warner as Professor McCarthy and René Auberjonois as Modoc.
- Knight Templar: Professor McCarthy, who believes that vampires are The Virus and must be stopped lest there be a Vampire Apocalypse.
- Market-Based Title: The ever-more-appropriate I Was A Teenage Vampire in non-US markets.
- Meaningful Name: "McCarthy" can't be an accident, considering how the professor talks about how those commies - er, vampires - are gonna get us if they aren't stopped RIGHT NOW, and his willingness to kill people who only might be vampires.
- Mistaken for Gay: Jeremy's parents conclude from his odd behavior and other strange goings-on that their son is gay.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: An extreme case in that the story is set in Texas, but nobody in the cast has a Texan accent.
- Ordinary High School Student: Jeremy.
- Our Vampires Are Different: While "dead" vampires can't go out in the sun, "living" vampires (like Jeremy and Modoc) are at most slightly annoyed by it. (This concept has roots in traditional Romanian folklore.) They do actually age, albeit slowly - the equivalent of one human year per decade. They also have some mind-control abilities and can transform into wolves.
- Supernatural Angst: Jeremy is distraught at the thoughts of being a teenager for the next twenty years. Fortunately, he gets over it rather quickly.
Modoc: "Please tell me you're not going to sulk for the next twenty years."
Jeremy: "No, but I think I'm entitled to a few minutes."