|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Mutts is a newspaper comic created by Patrick McDonnell; it was started in 1994 and is still running today. The comic centers around a dog (Earl) and a cat (Mooch), their owners, and the many humans and animals in their neighborhood. The official site can be found here. Patrick McDonnell is a strong supporter of animal rights who sits on the board of the Humane Society.
This series includes examples of:
- Big Friendly Dog: Woofy wuvs * insert thing here* !, normally following an instance of him frenziedly licking whatever he's talking about.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Mooch
- Crossover: When Blondie celebrated the Bumsteads 60th Anniversay in 2005 Earl and Mooch could be seen with other King Features characters on Blodie and Dagwood's front lawn. In the Mutts comic for that day we see their owner getting an invite to the gala as Earl trips up the oddly familliar looking Mailman.
- Fang Thpeak: Mooch.
- Gentle Giant: The Guard Dog.
- Green Aesop
- Humans Are Bastards: Probably not intentional but some of the more Anvilicious moments may have this effect.
- Jerkass: Sourpuss
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Crabby
- Also Frank.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Start here.
- Meaningful Name: Sourpuss and Crabby. Guess their respective species and disposition.
- Nursery Rhyme
- Personal Raincloud: Sourpuss gets one when complaining of whether the clouds would decide to rain or not.
- Pet the Dog: Quite literally.
- Shout-Out: In many Sunday strips, the title panel will sometimes contain a reference of some sort.
- Straight Man: Earl, to Mooch's Wise Guy.
- Sugar Bowl: Most of the time.
- Superior Species: Animals in relation to humans.
- When It Rains, It Pours: Black lines attack during rain.