|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
A Toad named Go wakes up in the desert alone. He’s suffering from sunstroke and exhaustion, he can’t remember a thing, and he’s lost his hat. Just when he thinks this is the end (and on the first page, no less), he is picked up by the crew of the Chainless, the world’s only (working) sand ship.
- Go: A Toad. His past is a mystery, even to himself. At least things start out that way. Has some magic powers, as all Toads do. Does most of the narrating.
The Badass Crew consists of
- Captain Martello: A female Koopa. The Captain and resident mechanic
- McCoy: A Raven, and Martello’s Second in Command.
- Palma: A Pianta, the youngest member of the Crew.
- Guy: A Shyguy. Despite his appearance, he’s the weakest fighter in the crew, at least until Go joins, and kind of a softy. (not that you should mess with him!) Does most of the household tasks around the Chainless.
This Web Comic provides examples of:
- Ascended Fanon: The pink bob-omb that Guy befriends was deemed Squishie by the fans, and soon his name in the comic was revealed to be 5QU15H-IE.
- Big Brother Instinct: McCoy, towards Guy:
McCoy: (to Guy) But if you need like, a cool big brother type... I guess I don't mind you following me.
- Big Damn Heroes
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: McCoy’s are orange
- Clothing Damage
- Combat Medic: Guy
- Cool Mask: Guy
- Crazy Prepared: Martello is showing signs of this.
- Desert Punk
- Easy Amnesia: Go
- Feather Fingers
- Five-Man Band
- Genius Bruiser: Palma
- Last-Name Basis: Palma, possibly the entire crew.
- Meaningful Name: Go. Aside from its connotation as a verb, it's also the Japanese number five--with Go being the fifth member of the Chainless. Also Martello.
- Also worth noting that "Martello" is Italian for "hammer." Guess what Captain Martello's favorite melee weapon is.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Heavy on the latter. The former depends on the character, though YMMV.
- Mysterious Past: Go and Palma
- Never Gets Drunk: Go, of all people
- No Name Given: Technically Guy, whose real name is unknown.
- Original Flavour: Despite having a slightly more serious tone, this world seems very familiar.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Go
- Personality Powers: Go's attitude changes depending on what kind of magic he's using.
McCoy: What we do encompasses a great deal, really. Looting desert-side cities, treasure hunting and old fashioned grave robbery…
- Pirate Girl: Martello is actually the captain of her ship. There's also Palma, who acts more like she's just along for the ride.
- Quicksand Sucks: The dry variety.
- Sand Is Water: Justified. The Chainless handles well on quicksand but not on the regular stuff, and seems to be the only vessel capable of doing so.
- Shifting Sand Land: takes place in the Trope Namer.
- Shirtless Scene: Go has a few.
- Sigil Spam: The mascot/logo of the Chainless, as seen aboard the ship and on Martello's belt buckle, is a green eyed Chomp. With no chain, of course.
- The Silent Bob: Guy
- Smoking Is Cool: McCoy can make anything look cool
- Sprite Comic: Averted
- The Voiceless: Guy
- The So-Called Coward: (Guy.)
Boarding the Chainless contains examples of:
- Chainsaw Good
- Contrived Coincidence: The The Fire Flower, had it not been there, would not have saved Go.
- Playing with Fire
- Secret Test
- Sink or Swim Mentor
- Shout-Out: to several Mario games
- Weird Moon: on this page
Piranha Plant Laboratory contains examples of:
- A God Am I: Thrive: I am more than a single creature, you see. I am order in its purest form. I am true harmony's product. I have watched this world in patience, in silence since before you beasts fumbled into your existence. I am creation. I am eternity. I am every flower, every tree, every blade of grass united. But for you primitive animals, requiring a guttural sound to be tied to every entity... You may call me Thrive
- Badass Boast: *AHEM* "Sir, you seem to think you can take a person's lighter without winning it in a stupid bet first. Do you see this cigarette? I pulled this cigarette out of a dead guy's pocket. It's not even a brand I like. I smoke Reznor Reds, and this --Trust Me-- is no Reznor Red. But I'm going to smoke it anyway, and you, you big jackass, you have what may well be the only lighter in this entire stupid building. Not just any lighter, but my lighter. Now, one way or another, I am going to smoke this cigarette and I am going to enjoy every awful second of it. So come on, let's do this."
- Combat Tentacles/Tentacle Rope
- Dynamic Entry
- Flash Back: Palma's/Roxette's memories of how she became so intelligent
- Genetic Engineering Is the New Nuke
- Hannibal Lecture/"The Reason You Suck" Speech
- I Am Legion
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Apparently what happened to Palma/Roxette
- Man-Eating Plant/When Trees Attack
- Plant Person: Thrive
- Psychic Link: Between Palma/Roxette and Thrive
- Schedule Slip: from Saturday and Tuesday to just Saturday, and then to Saturday and Wednesday.
- Shut UP, Hannibal: Last time? Last time the room wasn't filling with a highly flammable herbicide, you rambling twit.
- Skewed Priorities: Mc Coy.
Mc Coy: "Help me search these bodies for cigarettes."
- Stepford Smiler: McCoy without his cigarettes. Being McCoy, he lampshades this.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palma's speech to Thrive evokes this though Your Mileage May Vary.
- This Is Sparta: Put... Guy... Down!
- Willing Channeler: What Thrive tried to get Palma to submit to, though he actually wanted to turn her into a Living Bodysuit.
At Twisters Borough contains examples of:
- Bar Brawl
- Boom Town
- Cattle Punk
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: A side effect of fusing magic and alcohol.
- Drowning My Sorrows
- Gayngster: Birdo (probably), and co.The other two members are a Camp Gay and a Butch Lesbian, respectively.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: How Haze knocks out Go.
- Implacable Man: Mario. From the Koopa side, he's a nightmarish fusion of Superman, Chuck Norris, and the Terminator, all rolled together into a short, pudgy little body. Nothing can stop him. NOTHING.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Haze and Charlie. In fact, Haze has pink hair and Charlie wears blue clothes.
- Mook Horror Show: The flashback with Martello’s father shows Mario like this. He is seen (by the Koopas at least) as an unstoppable force of nature that can wipe out whole ships worth of elite troops.
- Noodle Incident: A couple times.
Go: And that's why I don't eat the mega mushrooms any more.
- One-Man Army: Mario. He's considered the Mushroom Kingdom's Army. Its REAL army. Look down to Shrouded in Myth and you'll start to see why. The fact that he can fly, throw fireballs, and perform feats of strength and agility no other mortal being can match may explain it.
- Shout-Out: Those crates look awfully familiar.
- Shrouded in Myth: Mario himself. "Any crazy stories you've heard about him are probably true. He breaks bricks with his bare hands. He can leap 30 feet in the air when he chooses not to fly. Some even claim that he's not a Toad at all--that he's somethin' else, somethin' from beyond." The fact that these stories are true only makes Mario (viewed from the Koopa standpoint) all the more terrifying.
- Wretched Hive
Bob-omb Battlefield contains examples of:
- Art Shift: Drastically in page 79, less drastically in page 80 following fan outcry the previous update.
- Badass Mustache: The Big Bob-omb.
- Body Horror: When we see what happens to those poor souls captured by Smithy's minions.
- Not to mention what happens to Go when he taps into an unfamiliar Vim.
- Cute Machines: The Bob-omb Buddies. Guy doesn't seem to think so, though.
- Cuteness Proximity: Palma's reaction to the bob-ombs.
- La Résistance
- Large and In Charge: The Big Bob-omb.
- Off with His Head: How McCoy beats the Big Bob-omb.
- Rapid-Fire "No": Martello in page 96, although subverted, since the end of the comic cuts her off.
- Troubled Fetal Position/Cower Power: Guy's reaction to the "automatons".
- Unwilling Roboticisation : The fate of Guy's tribe once the Smithy Invasion starts.
- Wrestler in All of Us: The Big Bob-omb.