|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A character with hair of dramatically varying shades. Often, each individual shade would be perfectly normal (at least, by the standards of its medium). Common as a Mary Sue trait, especially if the different colors all occur naturally.
Anime & Manga
- Half the hair on Jio's head from Six Six Six Satan is white, to go along with his Mismatched Eyes. Being possessed by Satan does wonders for his personal appearance. After the Time Skip, the wonders aren't just for his hair, but his hair still is one hella uncommon for the place where he lives.
- In Black Jack, half of Dr. Black Jack's hair becaming white after a land mine blasted his head apart when he was a child.
- In New Mazinger -a Mazinger Z spin-off- Major Kabuto is black-haired, but his hair's central part is red.
- Yugi Mutou has purple, black, and blond hair, and it is implied that his grandfather looked like this when he was younger.
- The Pharaoh was shown with these hair colors when he was born, but his dad has black hair, like a normal Egyptian. Some suspect that he got his hair from his unseen mother; on the other hand, anime hair doesn't exactly have to follow logic and science.
- Almost everyone from Yu-Gi-Oh Ze Xal has this to various extents. For example, Yuma's is red and black.
- Hikaru from Hikaru no Go has mostly black hair; his bangs are blonde.
- Rosé Thomas from Fullmetal Alchemist has black hair with pink bangs.
- Nia from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has pastel blue and yellow hair, layered in such a way that one might think the blue parts were the shadows at first. Slightly less noticably, Kittan's is blond on top, but the sides, back, and eyebrows are either brown or black.
- Guts of Berserk gets a white streak in his hair after using the cursed Berserker Armor for the first time.
- Fruits Basket: Hatsuharu has black and white hair because his animal is the cow. He's the only one accused of dying his hair an "unnatural color", despite the rainbow varieties among the cast not likely to be found in Japan, because it looks like his roots reveal the natural color. At least for the others, it's one color per person. (He promptly demonstrates his innocence, with the expected results.)
- Birdy from Birdy the Mighty has strange red and white hair; its exact appearance varies depending on the adaptation.
- Hinoki Sai from Betterman. She has brown hair with the exception of her bangs which are red and green. Although the majority of her flashbacks suggest that the rest of her family have the same unusual quality.
- Seikichi from Oh! Edo Rocket has a spiky orange fringe in the front and a fairly normal brown ponytail in the back.
- Yoshikage Kira from Jo Jos Bizarre Adventure part 4 gets Norman Osbourne green-and-black stripes at one point.
- Death the Kid from Soul Eater has black hair with three white stipes that only cover half of his head, a fact that greatly annoys him because he has OCD and is extremely obsessed with symmetry. This is in a series where many characters have close-to if not exactly realistic hair colours. Kid's case is unusual and down to genetics (for want of a better word).
- In the world of Strike Witches, where Magical Girls grow animal ears and tails when using their magic, Erica Hartmann just gains black highlights at the ends of her bangs.
- Macross Frontier. Sheryl Nome has pink hair with blonde highlights, or vice versa.
- Olivie from Angelique (blonde/golden and dark pink/red). Some character designs also threw green into the mix.
- Anzu from Hanamaru Kindergarten has her mother's blonde hair in the front and her father's brown hair in the back. This is completely natural.
- Gotenks from Dragonball Z, being the result of a Fusion Dance, has purple and black hair.
- Negi and his father, Nagi, from Mahou Sensei Negima have auburn hair on the top and black hair in the back.
- In Kämpfer, when Shizuku activates her Kampfer power, her hair turns white on the inside, sometimes rainbow.
- Nurarihyon no Mago:
- Rikuo's normal hair is brown on top and black in the back and when, turned into a demon, his brown hair turns white.
- Yuki-Onna/Tsurara has a hair color similar to Rikuo's demon form as well, only bluer.
- Sena of Eyeshield 21 has brown bangs, while the rest of his hair is black. This is probably a case of Author Appeal, since the main character of the artist's other manga, Blust, has black bangs with brown hair.
- Stocking from Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt has dark blue hair with pink highlights. Furthermore, her hair seems to be blue on the outside and pink toward her scalp.
- For most of the series, Bleed Kaga from Future GPX Cyber Formula has green hair with orange triangles on each side of his hair and a black tail.
- Star Driver's Takuto has deep red hair normally, but gains a brighter red color and yellow bangs when he Apprivoises.
- In Ranma ½:
- In the manga, the rare color renderings of Akari Unryû give her greenish hair with two pink stripes.
- Prince Herb of the Musk Dynasty (pronounced like the plant, not "Herbert") has long white hair that goes pink at the ends, except for his front bangs, which are navy blue.
- Kaite Madigan from Gundam SEED Astray has black and blond hair as a result of his genetic enhancements not coming out quite right. His parents gave him up for adoption because of this.
- Rebecca Miyamoto from Pani Poni Dash! has hair that is part blonde, part pink. Presumably, it's because she's half-American and half-Japanese.
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko's Erio has very light blue hair but at times gains crystal-like glitter (that can flow off her without ending). Other characters notice this, mainly Makoto, but never mention it out loud.
- Ruby from Pocket Monsters seems to have black and white hair.
- Potemayo is full of gradient-haired characters, and some of them are two-colored, such as pink/blonde on the titular moeblob, purple/magenta on Guchuko, and blue/green on Nene.
- Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi has several examples of gradient hair. Himea has pink to blue hair with sparkles, Haruka has brown hair with purple ends, Aomi has a similar style with yellow hair, and Mirai occasionally has yellow to purple and light blue hair.
- Gai from Saint Beast has blond hair with brown tips.
Comics -- Books
- The Sandman:
- Delirium has blondish-reddish-purplish-whatever-she-feels-like hair. It both changes color on a regular basis and is generally multicolored at any given time.
- Rose Walker also has multicolored hair. It's blonde, red, and blue in The Doll's House, and then red with a blonde streak when she resurfaces in The Kindly Ones.
- Melaka Fray from the comic books Fray and Buffy the Vampire Slayer has blue and purple two-toned hair.
- Rogue of X-Men has a white streak in her brown hair. Jury's out as to just how she got it.
- The Movie: Locked Into Strangeness;
- The Comic: Flip-Flop of God. Initially, she was drawn to be a woman in her sixties--the white streak was graying hair. When her age was settled down at being seventeen, the white streak was referenced as being dyed. When her backstory was established, she had the white streak even as a thirteen-year-old. While it's possible it was dyed, fans were unsure, since the placement of the white streak varied quite strongly whenever her look was changed. Finally, in her solo series, her hair is shown with a white streak from when she was a toddler, making it a physical mutation.
- Ever heard of poliosis?
- Norman Osbourne from Spider-Man is drawn with red hair with black stripes, though it's possible that his hair is just in waves and that the red is to show the raised areas.
- Batman's Two-Face has black hair on his normal side of his face and white hair on his scarred side.
- In the 2011 relaunch of Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn of Batman fame has hair that is half red, half blue.
Films -- Animation
- Cruella de Vil from One Hundred and One Dalmatians has hair that's half black and half white. (According to some, this symbolizes that she's Two-Faced.) Perhaps surprisingly, this is carried over from the 3 book rather than a Disney invention. See the Literature section.
Films -- Live Action
- The patchwork man in Mr Stitch has multicolored hair across the spectrum of possibilities for a human scalp.
- In Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Knives tries to dye her hair blue in order to compete with currently-blue-haired rival Ramona. She winds up with hair that is half blue and half (natural) black. Then she gets her highlights punched off and the whole thing is for naught.
- In Poltergeist, Diane Freeling's trip through the afterlife to rescue her daughter leaves her with a streak of white at each temple. She is reluctant to dye them back, thinking they look "punk" (and possibly seeing them as a badge of pride).
- Harry Potter: Narcissa Malfoy has white-blonde hair that she ties back and dark brown hair that hangs loose.
- In The Fairy Rebel by Lynne Reid Banks, a girl is born with a patch of blue in her mostly-brown hair, due to a mix-up by the fairy responsible for her birth.
- Discworld: Death's granddaughter, Susan, has white and black hair.
- In A Quest for a Maiden, the main character was hit on the head by her older sister, who was possibly a witch. Instead of getting a bruise, she got a streak of white in her brown hair.
- Ghiscari people from A Song of Ice and Fire are described as having a mixture of red and black hair.
- The titular character of the Pan Kleks ("Mr. Inkblot") stories from Poland is often depicted as having rainbow hair.
- The Tain Bo Cuailnge describes Cu Chulainn as having three different hair colors at once:
You would think he had three distinct heads of hair -- brown at the base, blood-red in the middle, and a crown of golden yellow. This hair was settled strikingly into three coils on the cleft at the back of his head. Each long loose-flowing strand hung down in shining splendour over his shoulders, deep-gold and beautiful and fine as a thread of gold. A hundred neat red-gold curls shone darkly on his neck, and his head was covered with a hundred crimson threads matted with gems.
- As noted above, Cruella de Vil of One Hundred and One Dalmatians had hair that's half-black, half-white. After she goes through a short but thorough Humiliation Conga that was sadly left out of the Disney version, the black half goes white and the white half goes green, apparently from stress.
- Andros from Power Rangers in Space has hair in alternating stripes of black and blond. Somewhat unusual in that he's the only person on the show to have hair like that -- we even see two other members of his Human Aliens species, and they both have blonde hair, though Zhane's contains spots of barely-noticeable silver.
- Merrick in Wild Force, too, has Skunk Stripes, but in a more subdued way -- two white locks on his otherwise dark hair.
- Space Cases:
- Catalina has rainbow hair, but she's a native of one of Saturn's moons.
- Her interdimensional best friend, Suzi, has more normal-looking hair, albeit with purple and pink locks.
- Go Go Sentai Boukenger's Eiji has hair that's a mixture of blond and brown, with a white stripe through it.
- The song "Five Colours in her Hair" by British boy band McFly.
- Jeff Hardy, of course.
- Albel from Star Ocean Till the End of Time has dark brown and blond hair.
- Kyosuke Nanbu of Super Robot Wars has brown/gold hair, while his Expy, Reiji Arisu, from Namco X Capcom has black-white hair, due to a Skunk Stripe. Raul Gureden has black-red hair. Rivalis Muilove has blonde/red hair.
- Ibis Douglas similarly has red-orange/black hair, her black hair purely localized near her sideburns.
- Kaguya Nanbu has red and black hair (as does her father) in the Endless Frontier spin-off, in the same pattern as their namesake. Emperor Nanbu's even carries over to his beard.
- Karen of Harvest Moon 64 has brown hair with blond bangs. She has this in all her appearences, other than DS and Cute, which is justified because that is not the same Karen.
- Eugene Chaud of Mega Man Battle Network has a white 'shroom and black sideburns.
- Atlas from Mega Man ZX Advent has a large patch of red hair covering the rest of her brown hair.
- Very common in the Jak and Daxter universe. Jak has blond hair with green roots, eyebrows, facial hair, and sideburns. Keira's hair is blue and green, while Daxter's starts out blond and moves through orange to red at the tips.
- The Amma Lucia in Tales of Graces all have white hair with red or pink ends.
- Levi (Material-L) and Lord Dearche (Material-D) from the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha As Portable games. The former has blue hair that's black at its lower half, while the latter has predominantly light tan hair that's black at its tips.
- Touhou has several examples:
- Miror B. from Pokémon Colosseum and its sequel has a huge Pokéball-colored afro.
- The respective main characters from Nickelodeon's Allegra's Window and Eureeka's Castle qualify.
- In Drowtales, ankle-length hair dyed like this has become a means of displaying high social status. Drow typically have white hair and add red, blue, etc.
- The Bare Pit has Famke, Zoot's sister, who has pink and white hair.
- Julie Ann Carey in Aptitude Test has blond hair with pink bangs.
- Marius (brown and blond), Sarah (black and red), Iddy Pop (light blue and dark blue/purple), and Portia (black and magenta) from My Life in Blue. It's only dye, though.
- In Swiftriver, Miranda dyes the front part of her hair pink and the rest of her hair a dark burgundy-black.
- Kalei of Kaleidoscope has half-green, half-brown hair.
- Shannon of Bloody Urban has naturally blond hair with a lightning-bolt shaped green streak across the right side of his head.
- From El Goonish Shive, Vladia looks like this naturally, due to the leopard spots in her hair.
- Dora of Questionable Content normally dyes her hair black and has naturally platinum blonde hair; between strip #1311, which is immediately after a Time Skip of several months, and #1515, when she dyes it back to black, she has both colors at the same time since she was growing it out as blonde.
- Dellyn Goblinslayer of Goblins has half a head of green hair on his "wooden" side, while the other half is greenish blond.
- Julia Greenhilt from Order of the Stick has two green streaks in her brown hair.
- The Princess in Rusty and Co has an anachronistic hairdo mixing blonde and purple.
- But I'm a Cat Person's Patrick has blond hair with a brown streak in the front. It matches his dog form, a yellow puppy with brown spots.
- In Homestuck, Eridan has black hair with a wide purple streak on the front.
- In American Barbarian, Yoosamon and all his sons have red, white, and blue hair.
- Surprisingly enough, for the most part, it's justified in Gaia Online's NPCs.
- Vanessa (black with blond bangs) is a hairstylist, and she tells you that she does Sasha's (brown and blond) highlights and is annoyed that Mirai (blond, pink, and blue) is good enough to do her own.
- The late Vladimir Von Helson's Skunk Stripes are attributed to aging, as is Edmund's white beard.
- Brennevin's red-and-black hair is probably magic.
- Currently unexplained are the Von Helson Twins' blond-with-red-tips and Liam's red-with-blond-tips.
- Rainbeaux, from the Global Guardians PBEM Universe, has hair that's all seven colors of the rainbow. It is a side effect of her powers.
- Garcie from We Are Our Avatars had blue and yellow hair; after the stylist worked on her, she now has black and yellow hair.
- Brenda in Night Hunters is describe having such hair from time to time.
- Scene Wolf's hair is dark brown, white-blonde, reddish-pink, and hot pink with horizontal stripes.
- Two-Face from Batman the Animated Series has half brown and half white hair.
- The version of Trickster that appeared in Justice League Unlimited has lime green and purple hair, done so as a homage to Mark Hamill's portrayal of him in The Flash live-action series (they even got Hamill to voice him!).
- The titular character of Growing Up Creepie has literal rainbow hair.
- As does the tougher of the two Master Roshi expies on Perfect Hair Forever. Coiffio's hair even changes colors!
- The main character of Lady Lovely Locks of the same name has this, as well as her friends Maiden FairHair and Maiden CurlyCrown. Their hair is a normal color (blond, brown, red) with streaks of pastel colors in them.
- Danse from Jem has blond, pink, and blue hair.
- Jun from The Life and Times of Juniper Lee had a pink stripe in her hair. This is the fairly rare example where it was explicitly dyed; the Te Xuan Ze gets a streak of white hair when it is her turn to maintain The Masquerade.
- Total Drama Island: Sierra's purple locks in World Tour are something else entirely.
- Princess Sissi has pale yellow bangs and the rest of her hair is honey-auburn.
- On Space Stars, Space Ghost once opposed Eclipse Woman, whose hair was half blond and half black.
- My Little Pony:
- Both incarnations of Rainbow Dash in My Little Pony G 3 and My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic, as one could guess from her name. Cleverly, FIM Rainbow Dash always has the hot colours prominent, with the cooler colours hidden behind her neck to fit the Fiery Redhead trope.
- Princess Celestia has hair of multi-colored pastel colors.
- Several other characters, including Twilight Sparkle, have streaks of different colors in their manes.
- Katrina Rad in The Problem Solverz has pink, blue, yellow, and rainbow hair.
- Odd of Code Lyoko has a purple spot in front of his blond hair, either in his true form or with his Digital Avatar.