The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
- Basic Trope: Characters in an Anime or Manga series are stated to be Japanese, but don't look like Japanese people at all.
- Played Straight: Sakura lives in Japan, but she has Hair of Gold and Blue Eyes.
- Exaggerated: Sakura (and all her friends and neighbors) are part of an Amazing Technicolor Population, with hair, eye, and skin colors not found in nature at all.
- Inverted: Alice is stated to be European, but she has the Shiny Midnight Black hair and almond eyes of an East Asian person.
- Justified: Sakura is only half Japanese.
- Sakura is a foreigner, but has been living in Japan for a long time.
- Subverted: Sakura is stated to be an American student studying abroad in Japan, going by a nickname.
- Double Subverted: But she hangs around with other characters who follow a similar Phenotype Stereotype, and none of them are stated to be foreigners; the fact that she is tends to be forgotten, even by the writers.
- But her eyes are blue or green, not something typically found in that population.
- Parodied: Sakura is obviously one of the Starfish Aliens, and is still stated to be Japanese.
- Lampshaded: "You don't look Japanese at all!"
- Averted: Sakura (and all other Japanese characters in the series) are drawn in a much more realistic style.
- Enforced: "We need to make a character who stands out more."
- Invoked: Sakura wants to look like all the American women she's seeing in the magazines she reads, and contemplates changing her hair and eye color.
- Defied: Sakura then decides that look just isn't her, and decides against dyeing her hair and wearing blue contacts.
- Discussed: "I don't think Sakura's from around here. I mean, she's blonde!"
- Conversed: "Lots of Japanese Anime characters don't look Japanese.
- Played For Laughs: Sakura is an obsessive Americanophile, parodying the Occidental Otaku stereotype.
- Played For Drama: Racial tensions are explored in this particular series.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.