|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Muggle Cast episodes are usually released every Sunday, with 3-5 hosts on each show. They talk about recent news and anything interesting going on lately. Each week, they have a main discussion where the talk about a certain topic, character or event. They're are also a variety of other segments, such as: Chapter By Chapter, Make The Music Connection, Voicemails, The Sorting Hat and more. The hosts also respond to feedback on the show.
Their website can be found here.
- Andrew Sims, the main host.
- Ben Schoen, one of the original hosts who isn't on much any more.
- Eric Scull, known for going into long spiels.
- Jamie Lawrence, resident Brit.
- Micah Tannenbaum, Muggle Cast news anchorman.
- Laura Thompson, known for being (for a long time) the only female host.
- Mikey B., a film major who is one of the more recent hosts.
- Matt Britton, the new guy.
- Elysa Montfort, she and Laura have interchangable brains.
- Kevin Steck, the Geek.
- Greg Porter of Xaler Studios.
- The PotterCast trio Melissa Anelli, John Noe and Sue Upton.
- Andy McCray of of HP Fanzone.
- Jess, former MuggleNet staff member.
- Also, others.
Many of the hosts host another podcast called Smart Mouths, which is more "mature" than Muggle Cast and they discuss a more widespread selection of topics, such as general news and politics. While Andrew, Matt, and Elysa head up Imprint, a podcast dedicated to the Twilight Series. The podcast tends to fall a bit on the Twihard side of the uberfan-uberhater spectrum, but still manages to sneak in a few moments of snark (the podcast even managed to score an interview with the rather publicity-shy Stephenie Meyers herself).
- Actually Pretty Funny
- Annoying Younger Sibling - Andrew's siblings Rebecca and Ryan.
- Arch Enemy - PotterCast at first. They've gotten over it now.
- Ambiguously Gay - Matt Britton defines this trope. Though, we're not sure how ambiguous it is anymore. He may have disolved into * Camp Gay , which is still fine.
- April Fools' Day - In 2007, the hosts claimed to have received copies of the seventh book and revealed multiple "spoilers" on air.
- Back To You Dave - "And now Micah Tannenbaum is standing by in the Muggle Cast news center with the past week's top Harry Potter news stories!" "Thanks, Micah!".
- On an episode where nobody could do it right, Micah introed himself.
Micah: And now Micah Tannenbaum is standing by in the Muggle Cast news center with the past week's top Harry Potter news stories. Micah!
Pause, hosts laugh
Micah: Thanks, Micah.
- Beware the Honest Ones - Micah.
- Brief Accent Imitation - Many co-hosts have imitated Jamie's British accent. He has also imitated their American accents.
- British Accents - Jamie.
- Brutal Honesty - Micah.
- But Wait! There's More!
- Butt Monkey - Andrew, when he's not there.
- Call on Me - "Mikey B! Mikey B! Mikey B!"
- Canada, Eh?
- Captain Obvious
- Catch Phrase - "Pickles!", also "It's tough being Ben Schoen" and "Yeah! Yeah! Alright!"
- The Chick - Laura.
- Children Are Innocent - Ryan Sims, Andrew's brother.
- Christmas Episode - One every year. They also do New Year's episodes.
- Clark Kenting - Two Words: Rubeus Hagrid.
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming - "You can have any of my Horcruxes, Jamie."
- Death by Woman Scorned
- Delayed Reaction
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?
- Don't Explain the Joke
- Draco in Leather Pants - All the male hosts.
- Fandom Nod - Mentions of Muggle Cast fanfiction.
- Full Name Ultimatum
- Fun with Acronyms SAVegasMONEY (Save Gas Money), an acronym for "Super Awesome Vegas Magical Outing (At) Night (With) Eric (And) You!".
- Gag Words - Pickles!
- Geek - Kevin and Mikey.
- Give a Whole New Meaning
- Gut Feeling - If Andrew were a betting man...
- Hilarious Outtakes
- Hilarity Ensues
- How Did That Get in There?
- I Knew It!
- I Meant to Do That
- I Was Just Joking
- Innocent Innuendo
Laura: You say, "Oh I don't mind" and then it EXPLODES.
Eric: And it's wet and sticky and all over your face.
- Instrumental Theme Tune
- Intentionally Awkward Title - "Laura's Pants"
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY" - First it was "Rolling not "Rawling" then it was "Hallows not Hollows".
- "Jump Off a Bridge" Rebuttal
- Kent Brockman News - Micah's news segment.
- Lampshade Hanging
- Large Ham - Andrew is often this.
- Last-Second Word Swap - "Bitch" -> "Witch"
- Let's See You Do Better
- Live Episode - Many.
- Episode 16: Right after the Goblet of Fire primere, with guest hosts Emerson Spartz (MuggleNet webmast) and PotterCast trio Melissa, John and Sue.
- Episode 49: Right On Time: A live show done over UStream.
- Episode 81: Live In England: A test show held by Jamie and Andrew.
- Episode 86: Cover Call-Ins: A live call-in show where they discuss the covers.
- Episode 89: In the Middle of the Night: A live call-in show where the discuss the fifth movie.
- Episdoe 98-99: These were both live shows from the Enlightening 2007 convention.
- Episdoe 100: The Big One: A live show in England just before the Deathly Hallows release, with special guest hosts.
- Episode 101: Streaming Spoilers: Done right after they read the book, this show was the hosts' initial thoughts on the final installment of Harry Potter.
- Episodes 102-106: These were live shows held in various book stores throughout the US.
- Episodes 108-113: These episodes were split parts of the 12 hour live show they did over UStream.
- Episode 119: Quack: Another UStream episode.
- Episode 136: Happily Split: Yet again done over UStream, they discussed the movie 7 split announcement for two hours.
- Meganekko - Elysa.
- Missing Episode - 57.
- Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls
- Naive Newcomer - Matt.
Matt: And I'm Matt Briton, I guess?
- No, Really, It's Okay
- Once an Episode - Recently, Micah's made a reference to goats almost every episode.
- One-Episode Wonder
- Portmanteau Couple Name - AJ (Andrew/Jamie), JAM (Jamie/Andrew/Matt), Mandrew (Andrew/Matt), amongst others
- Punch Line
- Ruined FOREVER - Their April Fool's 2007 joke, where they got the manuscripts of Deathly Hallows. Some people failed to see the humour in it.
- Rule of Funny
- Rule 34
- Running Gag - Many.
- Screams Like a Little Girl - Matt.
- Snowball Lie
- Sound Effect Bleep - Parodied on Episode 134: What The Bleep?
- Stage Names - After J.K. Rowling mentioned a wizard radio host named Toots in passing on her website, Andrew tried to get his fellow hosts to call him by that name. See Who's Laughing Now? below.
- Special Guest - Rubeus Hagrid. But really, Jim Dale, Mary Grand Pre and Patrick Doyle.
- Talkative Loons
- Too Good For That Bastard
- Took a Level In Badass - Micah at multiple times.
- Top Ten List - Ben's.
- Trademark Favorite Food - Lucky Charms for Jamie and Subway for Ben.
- Unpleasable Fanbase
- Vaudeville Hook - The cowbell serves basically this purpose. If an, "I'm serious!" "No, you're not, if you were you'd be dead," joke goes on too long, it's drowned out with the cowbell.
- Who's Laughing Now? Episode #80: Toots:
Laura: How about from now on we just randomly call you every - like we call you a name of a random radio personality. Like right now, I'll go ahead and call you Rush Limbaugh. How do you like that?
Eric: I'll call him Howard.
Jamie: See, Andrew? You see how these ideas can backfire on you so quickly when you don't think them through?
- In #234, the live show after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released, the commentators and Evanna Lynch play Dueling Club. As a joke, Andrew says his team's choice is Gandalf before quickly retracting it as a joke. Eric forces Andrew's team to defend him anyway. They lose.