|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Mr. Young is a Canadian teen sitcom made by YTV which debuted in 2011 about a teenaged prodigy named Adam Young who is teaching a high school science class. On the way, he runs into an old friend, gets hounded by a bully, falls in love with a student, and tries to convince the principal that he has valuable contributions to make to Finnegan High School.
This show contains examples of:
- Adored by the Network: YTV shows it nearly every day.
- AI Is a Crapshoot: ARTHUR
- All Asians Know Martial Arts: Dang and his estranged brother Ding are both martial arts experts.
- All Just a Dream: Mr. Moth
- All Love Is Unrequited: Adam loves Echo, Ivy loves Hutch, Derby loves Ivy and Mrs. Byrne loves Mr. Elderman.
- Alma Mater Song: Mr. School Song
- Ambiguous Gender: Slab's Mother.
- Asleep in Class: Derby and Slab fall asleep upon hearing Adam's lesson. Even Adam admits to falling asleep in class.
- Attack of the Fifteen-Foot Hamster
- Bi the Way: Adam and Hutch, if Mr. Servant and Mr. Impossible are any indication.
- Breathless Non-Sequitur: Dang's school song, which he translated over the internet.
- Butt Monkey: Derby
- But You Screw One Goat!: Dang's brother Ding:
- Child Prodigy: Adam graduated from college at age 10.
- The new student Joseph in Mr. Brain.
- Continuity Porn: A scene in Mr. DNA parallels an exchange from the first episode and acknowledges the episode Mr. Younger Man:
Mr. Slabinski: You're a kid.
Adam: Well, yes, but...
Mr. Slabinski: How old are you?
Adam: I'll be fifteen in March.
Mr. Slabinski: Wait, you mean you're only...
Mr. Slabinski: Fourteen?!
Adam: Wow. I guess the Fruit-Ball doesn't fall far from the tree.
- Creepy Child: Chloe chases Derby all across a city and beats Ivy in a fight.
- Dirty Old Woman: Mrs. Byrne.
Mrs. Byrne: All rise for the honourable Judge Byrne.
Mr. Tater: Honourable? She obviously doesn't remember last year's staff party!
- Dream Within a Dream: To an absurd level in Mr. Moth.
- In Mr. Masterpiece, Derby daydreams about his past daydreams.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Several episodes have implied that Principal Tater's first name is actually "Principal".
- Fawlty Towers Plot: Mr. Elderman
- Gag Nose: Bethany in Mr. Servant.
- Hollywood Nerd: For a guy that skipped ten or so grades, Adam's pretty attractive.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode's name starts with "Mr."
- Inept Talent Show Contestant: Echo is a far worse singer than she thinks.
- It Makes Sense in Context: It's nigh-impossible to start watching an episode halfway through without being incredibly confused.
- Japanese Ranguage: Vietnamese Ranguage on the part of Dang.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Slab takes ballet, and his dream is to play the Prince in Swan Lake.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Musician Dark Demon's rendition of his own Death Maggot in Mr. Rock Star qualifies.
- May-December Romance: Mrs. Byrne flirts with the disguised Adam and, later, Derby.
- Mr. Tater starts dating Rachel Young at the beginning of Season 2.
- Multi Part Episode: Mr. Space in the USA.
- Name's the Same: Mrs. Byrne
- Never Trust a Hair Tonic: Derby's hair tonic contained clorophyll, which somehow causes the hair to grow to absurd lengths when exposed to sunlight.
- Picture Day: Mr. Picture Day
- Rube Goldberg Device: Slab presents his nerd-powered grape juice maker in Mr. Roboto 2.0, accompanied by, of all songs, not-Powerhouse.
- Sequel First: Due to being a christmas special, Mr. Claus was broadcast before the double-length episode Mr. Space in the USA.
- Shout-Out: In Mr. Detention, Adam and Derby dress as Chewbacca, Darth Vader, R2-D2, and Princess Leia.
- A character in the first episode likens being crushed by lockers to the Trash Compactor scene from Star Wars: A New Hope.
- Echo says that Adam's description of the (fake) aliens' plan is just like every Sci-Fi movie ever, including Independence Day and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.
- Echo calls Mr. Tater "Mr. T in Mr. Detention.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Ivy is in love with Hutch, a football player.
- Sequel Escalation: Occurs in spades in Mr. Roboto 2.0.
- Special Guest: Victoria Duffield appears as herself in Mr. Spring Break.
- Steven Ulysses Perhero: Mr. Young.
- Talent Show: Mr. Talent Show
- Talking in Your Dreams: Dang dreams of being the janitor for Lady Gaga.
- Teacher-Student Romance: Adam would love one with Echo, but it never seems to pan out.
- Teen Genius: Adam.
- Token Minority: Dang, the janitor.
- Too Dumb to Live: Derby is an idiot, Mr. Tater is even more of an idiot, and Slab is utterly brain-dead, the latter two needing to check to verify their own names.
- Totally Radical: The Eighties flashbacks in Mr. DNA.
- Truth Serums: Adam accidentally creates a "truth gas", forcing him, Derby, Echo, Slab, and Ivy to speak only truth.
- Twist Ending: In Mr. Roboto, it turns out that ARTHUR is still "alive".
- In Mr. Big Brother, Chloe finds Derby at Adam's house.
- Wilhelm Scream: The kid who gets crushed by lockers in the Pilot.