|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Simply put, this article is about the word "motherfucker."
This is one of the Seven Dirty Words, and about the worst insult for a man. (For women, see Country Matters.) Yep, it's telling him he committed Parental Incest, with the female one, and is about the worst thinkable insult, because Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas.
Interestingly, the Mother of All Bombs can have a completely different meaning. "Bad motherfucker", in the right context, is not an insult, but means Badass. And if the speaker has N-Word Privileges, they might even use it as a generic expletive for anything, like in "back dat pussy, she a muh-fuckuh" and "hotter than a muh-fuckuh out here".
The form "mofo" is sometimes used in text and speech. The pronunciation "muh-fuckuh" softens it slightly, but only really works for people with N-Word Privileges, as stated above.
- At the beginning of Akira.
- Used in Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Also includes "fatherfucker".
- In the Documentary Earthlings, One man needlessly says this to a pig.
- The line everyone remembers from Die Hard.
- History of the World Part One:
Oedipus: Hey Josephus!
- The Predator is frequently called "one ugly motherfucker". And in Predator 2, it's part of his vocabulary (Roger Ebert even complained: "It's no help that the predators can speak English, since the first word out of the creature's mouth is that vile 12-letter street expression.").
- Samuel L. Jackson, as his wallet could tell you, was a Bad Motherfucker in Pulp Fiction.
Jules Winfield: Say "what" again! Say "what" AGAIN! I dare, you, I double dare you, motherfucker! SAY "WHAT" ONE MORE GODDAMN TIME!
- Samuel L. Jackson again in Snakes on a Plane: "Enough is enough, I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane!" In fact, his association with the word is the only reason the line exists: it was an internet meme that developed after the title and cast were announced, and studio execs basically decided to Throw It In as everyone was expecting it anyway.
- The theme from Shaft
They say this cat Shaft is a bad Mother --
- Dexter has Doakes, who pretty much has it as his Catch Phrase. "Surprise, motherfucker!"
- Stephen Colbert once turned to a photo of George Carlin and called him a motherf*beep*er.
- Many Gangsta Rap songs.
- The song "Die MF Die" by Dope.
- "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine.
- "Stealing Society" by System of a Down.
I'm looking for a mother that will get me high
- On Radio Caroline's 1977 New Year show, Dutch DJ Marc Jacobs responded to a ribbing by another DJ with the words "You motherfucker!" Jacobs later apologised on air, but since Caroline was a pirate station there were no official reprisals.
- Frankie Boyle says he will never use this word, because it just isn't shocking anymore ...Beat...fatherfuckers.
- Washington from House of the Dead: Overkill refers to every character in the game as a motherfucker. ...Except for the one guy who actually might have fucked his mother.
- This is actually the very first swearword in Brutal Legend; the game even asks at this point whether it should bleep expletives out, not any sooner.
- In this strip of Loserz.
- One Sexy Losers strip has a guy get called a motherfucker repeatedly. Punchline:
Woman: Welcome home, hon... What's wrong?
- The Nostalgia Critic uses "Zuul, motherfucker, Zuul!" to refer to any raging monster. In fact, the character loves adding the word gratuitously (in a commentary, Doug Walker says that he has discovered that you can add special extra oomph to anything by adding the word "motherfucker" to the end of it.)
- "Well, motherfucker" is a Sad Panda Catch Phrase in Forget About It.
- In the famous Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (Let's Play), Pokecapn lets out an Atomic Mother F Bomb when a floating ball platform suddenly dissapears from under him.
- South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut: "Shut Your Fucking Face, Uncle Fucka." Uncle rather than mother, but the principle's the same.
- The song was originally going to use motherfucker, but they changed it to avoid an NC 17 rating in America.
- Batman drops one (in reaction to being mooned) in a Robot Chicken short.
- And a giraffe in a sketch detailing the five stages of grief (the anger stage).