|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Morganville Vampires Series is a series of young adult novels written by Rachel Caine. The books center around Claire Danvers, a sixteen year-old genius who graduated from high school early and started school at a small town college to satisfy her overprotective parents. When a girl in the dorms threatens Claire's life, she resorts to answering an ad in the paper for a roommate in a four bedroom house. Which is how she meets Eve Rosser, a goth girl a few years older than Claire who works at the local coffee shop in town. Eve introduces Claire to the two other boys who live in the house, Shane Collins and Michael Glass. Claire barely gets in the door when Eve tells Claire the secret of the quiet college town-- it's inhabited by vampires. ---
Tropes in this work:
- Abusive Parents Shane and Eve's dads.
- Action Survivor: Claire and Eve. Hell. Probably everyone.
- Attempted Rape: Claire in The Dead Girl's Dance.
- Badass: Quite a few.
- Badass Abnormal: Michael. Twice. First he haunts the Glass House as a ghost, then is turned into a vampire by Amelie after a fight with Oliver.
- Badass Bookworm: Claire moves from being a small school-obsessed girl who got up extra-early to avoid a bully, to dealing with vampires trying to kill her on a regular basis. Still school obsessed. Also, Myrnin.
- Badass Normal: When you've lived in this town for long enough, it's bound to happen. Though notable ones are Shane.
- Badass Biker: Shane's dad and his biker gang.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: You know Oliver, the really cool old guy? He's a vampire. A complete Jerkass one at that.
- Black and Gray Morality
- Boarding School of Horrors: TPU.
- Broken Bird: Eve.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Myrnin.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Myrnin. Dear god. Apparently showing up at your door and borrowing a Crock-Pot isn't crazy behavior for him.
- Estrogen Brigade Bait: Michael and Shane in-universe.
- Evil Is Sexy: Monica Morrell is an in-universe example
- Five-Man Band:
- Foe Yay: Amelie and Oliver. He even states that if it wasn't so much fun being her enemy, he might be her lover.
- As of Ghost Town they've moved on to extreme Slap Slap Kiss.
- Fun with Acronyms: TPU's fraternity, Epsilon Epsilon Kappa. Also known as EEK.
- Go Mad From the Revelation: Miranda. Every. Time.
- Handsome Lech: Shane.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Frank ind Ghost Town.
- Is That What Theyre Calling It These Days: Midnight snacks in Ghost Town.
- Jail Bait Wait: Shane and Claire.
- La Résistance: a group of people lead by Captain Obvious. That is until Bishop takes over Morganville and Amelie is forced underground with her followers.
- Mad Oracle: Miranda.
- Mad Scientist: Myrnin
- Near Villain Victory: Lord of Misrule and Carpe Corpus take place during Bishop's rule over Morganville.
- Oh Crap: Claire when she realizes she went down the trap-door spider's alley.
- Perky Goth: Eve Rosser.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Micheal and Eve. Lampshaded by Shane in Ghost Town.
- Took a Level In Badass: Claire. Oh, my God, Claire.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Well, duh.
- You Called Me "X" - It Must Be Serious: One of the saddest versions ever. After Claire "dies,", Shane starts claiming he can hear her. This naturally freaks the hell out of Michael and Eve. Eve, whose usual names for Shane are (affectionate) "jackass" or "asshole," suddenly begins calling him "sweetie" and "honey." Paraphrased:
Shane: No! No! You don't call me that. You call me jackass, or asshole, or jerk, or--not sweetie! Not--not honey! Stop!