Monster (2003) is a biographical crime drama about serial killer Aileen Wuornos, a former prostitute who was executed in 2002 for killing seven men in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Wuornos was played by Charlize Theron, and her lover, Selby Wall, was played by Christina Ricci (Wuornos' lover's name was actually Tyria Moore, but her character's name, age, and appearance in the film were changed for legal reasons). The film was written and directed by Patty Jenkins.
This movie contains examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Tyria Moore, Wuronos' real-life girlfriend, looked like this. Selby Wall, on the other hand, is played by Christina Ricci.
- Asshole Victim: Let's face it, Vincent Corey, Aileen's first victim had it coming. The rest... didn't.
- Beauty Inversion: Charlize Theron gained between 20 and 30 pounds and shaved her eyebrows to play Wuornos. With all the press for a young beautiful actress with that kind of dedication, she got the Best Actress Oscar in a walk.
- Cop Killer: Aileen discovers Evan is an undercover cop shortly after killing him.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Several, but Aileen's failed job interview at the hands of a very smug lawyer deserves mention.
Lawyer: I see you're from Daytona Beach, all of that looks great, it must be wonderful. But can I tell you something? When the beach party is over, you don't get to say, "You know what? Now I think I'd like to have what everybody else has worked their entire life for." It doesn't work that way.
Aileen: (beat) Fuck you, man. Yeah, fuck you! YOU DON'T FUCKIN' KNOW ME!
Lawyer: Okay, great. That's great. See, now I'm so sorry I didn't hire you before. Leslie, could you please escort Miss... I don't even know her name because of course she doesn't have a resume... out.
Aileen: I don't need a fuckin' escort, you piece of shit! What, you think I'm a fuckin' retard? Take your fuckin' job and fuckin' shove it!
(Leslie hesitantly tries to escort her out of the building)
Aileen: Fuck you, Leslie!
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: For all the trouble in their relationship, Aileen and Selby do have some pretty cute moments together.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Vincent tries to invoke this by killing Aileen. It doesn’t go well for him at all.
- Fan Disservice: Aileen and Selby's sex scene, although this is probably intentional (yet it is also played in a rather sweet manner). Also, the scene with Aileen glancing at her naked, bloodstained body in the bathroom mirror.
- Howl of Sorrow: When one of her victims starts crying and begging for his life, Aileen snaps and shoots him dead while letting out one of these (although it's more like a Howl Of Rage).
- If It's You It's Okay: Aileen doesn't consider herself gay, but enters into a loving relationship with Selby.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Aileen.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Horton offers to help Aileen get a better life and let her stay at his home out of the goodness of his heart. She kills him anyway.
- Miss Swears-a-Lot: Aileen loves her swearing.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Aileen is mostly referred to as "Lee" throughout the film.
- Pay Evil Unto Evil: Aileen kills Vincent after he rapes and brutalises her. With all her later victims, however, she believes that she is paying evil unto evil, when, in all actuality, they didn't deserve it.
- Psycho Lesbian / Depraved Bisexual
- Shout-Out: "Gassenhauer" is played, an obvious homage to Badlands
- Shown Their Work: The way the movie portrays what happened to Aileen was probably very close to the truth. She killed Vincent out of self defense, and her rising schizophrenia likely helped her jump to some unusual conclusions that lead her to continue.
- The director also personally met with Wuonros to get the film as accurate as possible.
- Tear Jerker: Several moments, but the last ten or fifteen minutes of the film especially qualify.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Completely justified. After being raped by Vincent, Aileen escapes, grabs his gun, blasts him several times, continues firing into his corpse and does not stop until she's completely emptied the clip. Shortly after, she starts beating his corpse with the gun whilst punctuating each beat with rage-filled insults.