The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: Members of the royal family dress in everyday, functional clothing.
- Straight: Prince Bob of the Kingdom of Tropevania, wears plain shirts and otherwise normal clothing most of the time, and will change into formal garb only under duress.
- Exaggerated: Prince Bob wears t-shirts and shorts on all occasions, even extremely formal ones.
- Justified: The attitude in the kingdom is against grand display, and Bob dresses down to sway with this notion.
- Prince Bob played with some commoner children as a kid, which influenced his less than regal behavior.
- Inverted: Bob wears his Requisite Royal Regalia on all occasions, even barbecues, sporting events, and pool parties.
- Subverted: Bob appears to wear very simple clothing, but it's made of silks and velvets and is probably more expensive and lush than jewels and fur capes.
- Alternatively, Bob wears a mere loincloth--it's his body he's showing off.
- Double Subverted: He was kidding when he said that.
- Parodied: Bob looks like a monk.
- Deconstructed: Bob dresses plainly because no one, not even him, takes his title seriously. The monarchy is a complete joke and the ruler is just a figurehead. Consequently, when he is called upon to lead in a crisis, no one will listen to him.
- Reconstructed: Bob dresses plainly because he is not only a pretty face but a competent leader, and he doesn't need showy clothes to command respect.
- Zig Zagged: Some royals wear ornate clothes, others dress more casually. Bob's mother is likewise sensible with her outfit but his sister wears too much jewelry to move.
- Averted: Bob dresses about the way you would expect a Prince to look.
- Enforced: It's a stage or dance production where Requisite Royal Regalia is too expensive or cumbersome for the character -- they dress Prince Bob plainly and use minimal costuming and dialogue cues to show who is the ruler.
- Lampshaded: "I'm surprised anyone takes Bob seriously as a ruler, given the gym shorts and baseball cap he's always wearing."
- Invoked: Bob dresses in simple clothing to show that he is a selfless leader who won't spend extravagant sums on himself.
- Defied: "By my crown, I will not be mistaken for some lowborn peasant!!"
- Discussed: "That's the Prince? I thought he was the gardener!"
- Conversed: "So, which one is the King again?"
Back to Modest Royalty, your Highness, but please...do something about that...tee shirt, was it? What would your mother, the Queen, bless her soul, think!?
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.