|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Reading TV Tropes? Yeah? Wanna know about the tropes and idioms present in Modern Toss? Yeah? Fuckin' looks like it an' all.
Modern Toss is a series of cartoon booklets and books aimed at adults, and a (mostly) animated channel 4 sketch show based on them.
Notable reoccurring sketches include:
- Mr Tourette: A French sign-writer who produces offensive signs bearing no relation to his customers' instructions. This usually culminates in his customer being totally unhappy with the work and Mr Tourette calling them "some kind of cunt"
- Alan: A sociopathic, scribble-like creature who plays extreme practical jokes on his middle-class brother-in-law, usually involving Alan turning up uninvited to a social event, causing a large amount of destruction to the tune of "I Like To Move It" by Reel 2 Real before running away, leaving his brother-in-law to shout "Come back, Alan, you wanker!"
- Citizens Advice/Customer Services: Consisting of irate and often illogical complaints from members of the public, about goods, services and employers.
"This DVD player I nicked off you got me three months in prison, where some bloke tried to put his cock in my ear. What are you going to do about it? Chop Chop."
- Drive-by Abuser Considers...:Featuring a man on a moped who shouting pointless insults at people, animals or inanimate objects he drives past.
"Mate, 'eh mate. Playing golf are ya? Yeah, fuckin' looks like it an' all."
- Fly talk: Conversations between flies about humans they've encountered, sometimes mentioning celebrities including Chris Martin and 50 Cent..
- Work: Consisting of a chav explaining why he won't be or hasn't been showing up to work. His excuses generally come down to not wanting to.
This program provides examples of:
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Foul-mouthed signmaker Mr Tourette and his customers speak in a kind of gibberish that resembles French.
- Asshole Victim: Watch an Alan sketch and try to feel the characters don't deserve what's coming to them.
- Captain Obvious: Drive-by Abuser.
You're a traffic light, yeah? Changing colours yeah? Fuckin' looks like it an' all.
- Deadpan Snarker: The announcer gets points here, putting on a BBC voice-over voice. Especially funny when she uses characters quotes in her deadpan voice.
- Pet the Dog: Drive-by Abuser considers power stations. Turns out he's a fan.
- Refuge in Audacity: Mr Tourette. Most people would kill him for his signs if they weren't so stunned.
Modern Toss. The stink of excellence in a world gone tits up!