|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In one of the strangest games of any generation, the player controls Mister Mosquito, an adorable blood-sucker who's invaded the Yamada family home with the intent of gathering enough of the red stuff to last him through the winter.
The game is divided into 12 stages or "days", and the player is briefed at the beginning of each on who to suck how much blood from, as well as on any possible dangers. Blood can only be sucked from designated areas of the body (depending on the stage), and these spots are only exposed at certain times as the gigantic family members go about their everyday business. Some of these areas are simply exposed during their looping set of movements, but others require the player to manpulate their human prey first (by doing things such as turning off the T.V.).
Each victim also has a "stress meter" that rises if you suck blood too fast, too slow, or too long, or if you simply buzz around in their faces too much. If you're flying around when the meter hits its max, you'll enter a battle and have to strike certain "pressure points" on the victim's body to calm them back down. If the meter hits its max while you're sucking blood, you're swatted dead. Instantly.
Had a sequel that was only released in Japan due to the first game's poor sales in the States.
This series provides examples of:
- Artificial Atmospheric Actions
- Collection Sidequest: The EX blood tanks.
- Cosmetic Award: There are several unlockable skins for the titular mosquito, including a rainbow of various colors, a realistic mosquito, and mosquito versions of the human parents.
- Did Not Do the Research: Male mosquitos do not suck blood.
- Escalating War: What starts as a simple annoyance at the mosquito eventually results in the father taking on the bug with mystic fireball attacks.
- Foot Focus - The Japanese cover art. Not to mention the fact that the player can fly very close to the humans' feet in their quest for blood.
- Insect Gender Bender
- Macro Zone: The entire game.
- New Game+: Collecting and filling all the EX tanks lets you play through a more challenging second year in the Yamada home with all of your unlocked skins.
- Non-Lethal KO: The final boss battles. Yes, the game ends with a quarter-inch insect KO-ing an entire human family.
- One Kanji Title: The game is simply called Ka (Japanese for "mosquito") in Japan.
- Schmuck Bait: A load of heart rings can be found inside the microwave, which the mother closes after ten seconds if the player flies inside.
- Stealth Based Mission: Everything but the last four stages, in that being seen should be avoided.
- Video Game Flight: Mister Mosquito is always flying. That is, when he's not latched on to a person's skin.