|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Milly, Molly is a series of New Zealand books written by Gill Pittar for children between the ages of four and eight. The stories relate the adventures of two little girls from different ethnic backgrounds (with their multi-cultural friends), and promote the acceptance of diversity and the learning of life skills.
The stories deal with the kinds of questions and trials that children face every day–and offer understanding in such matters as honesty, respect for others, difference, tenacity, exercise, cooperation, respect for nature, bullying, stranger danger, forgiveness, trustworthiness, responsibility, loyalty, loss and grief–and many other areas that are challenging to young children.
The books were inspired by a double-ended doll created in 1995 by Gill Pittar to promote tolerance and communication. Following the success of the dolls, she began writing books about the characters with the first book published in 2000.
Milly, Molly books have since been published in at least 100 countries and translated into 40 languages
An animated TV series based on the books, was produced in 2006, witha a second season in early 2008.
Milly Molly provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Every episode has one.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: In an episode, Milly wishes Molly wasn't able to participate in the class concert, so, she wasn't busy all the time practicing, and then, Molly got a sore throat.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Reason why Humphrey and Alf become into best friend.
- Beware of the Nice Ones: B B Brown is very nice and friendly, ad also with a smart character. However, he is "kleptomaniac".
- Black Best Friend: Milly for Molly.
- Catch Phrase: Aunt Maude's "Fiddlestick!!!".
- Cats Hate Water: Only shown in Marmalade in the episode "Beaky".
- Dead Baby Comedy: When Milly and Mlly were looking for a home for their cats' babies at school, Humphrey tells them: "Put them in a box and throw them to the river". Even Humphrey tried to explain them it was just a joke.
- Free-Range Children: Even being like 7 years old, Milly and Molly, and almost all kids, are shown wandering for all the town, even until the outsides of if, without adult supervision.
- Genki Girl: Ella Bella Boo, Aunt Maude's niece.
- Grass Is Greener: In one episode, when Milly and Molly were to travel by balloon to the other side of the mountain, Milly complains about her duties-fulled life at home, thinking the life is better in the "other side of the mountain".
- Grumpy Old Man: Aunt Maude would be a female example. God, even adlts are afraid of her bad humor.
- Handicapped Badass: When Ellie, a blind girl, arrives to the class of Milly and Molly, she shows some very developed senses formed because of her blindness.
- Heel Face Turn: Humphrey, at least in quitting bullying, and later, in quitting making practical jokes.
- B B Brown, in quitting stealing.
- House Husband: Molly's dad stays at home while Molly's mother works the whole, but it isn't show who is in charge of house's chores.
- Not Good with People: Aunt Maude is recognized by her great garden and by her ability with plants, however, she's so mean with her neighbors, and even many of them are afraid of her.
- Spoiler Opening: The intro is conformed by many clips of the show, so, the last ones reveals vital information of the ending of two episodes.
- Sticky Fingers: B B Brown, a new classmate who get in Milly and Molly's class. Luckily, this is also a case of Heel Face Turn.
- Real Men Hate Affection: Humphrey is the best example.
- What Do You Mean It's for Kids?: The books and the show has got many positive critics, and many people over 8, adults and teens, have admitted that they love this show, someones more than their own children.
- Would Hit a Girl: Humphrey, in the begining. Not precisely strikes, however, in an episode was seen pushing a girl and throwing things to her, and, in the second push, the girls is injuried. Luckily, his Heel Face Turn.