|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die."—Stephanie Meyer
Midnight Sun was originally going to be the fifth novel in the Twilight series. It was basically a Perspective Flip of the first book, showing Edward's side of the story. Depending on your views regarding the series, this may be either an intriguing character study or a cheap rehash. Either way, however, it was not to be; the manuscript was somehow leaked and the author, Stephanie Meyer, apparently felt so betrayed over the whole thing that she scrapped the project. The manuscript, however, lives on.
Midnight Sun provides examples of:
- The Atoner - Edward is full of guilt over killing people.
- Yet at the same time ponders killing all the Quileutes, since they all think werewolves are nothing but a myth. His exact phrase is "slaughter the defenseless tribe on the coast." What The Hell, Designated Hero?
- Does This Remind You of Anything? - Intentionally or not, Edward's inner monologue frequently invokes school shooters.
- Another exchange with a school secretary feels alarmingly like the dialogue scene at the beginning of a porno.
- Dramatic Reading - Man Without A Body is currently working on one. It's very silly.
- Emo Teen - Half the cast.
- Lampshade Hanging: On Edward's stalking factor
"I’d just admitted to stalking her, and she was smiling."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - Edward is supposed to be one.
- Perspective Flip - Obviously.
- Stay in the Kitchen - Edward briefly contemplates going over to Bella's house and quietly killing her. He just sort of assumes he'll find her in the kitchen.
- You're Cute When You're Angry - Edward Cullen is all about this, repeatedly calling Bella a "Furious kitten that thinks it's a tiger" and variants. It's rather disrespectful, really.