Born in Malaysia, Michelle Yeoh is one of the most famous modern actresses to come out of Asia. She has worked in the Hong Kong film industry for four decades now. She has starred alongside such Asian actors as Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Chow Yun Fat. To Western audiences, she is best known for her roles in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies, Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. She also starred in Jackie Chan's Police Story 3 as well as cult-classic, Heroic Trio.
She provides examples of:
- Action Girl - She often plays female martial artists and is quite skilled in real life.
- Badass Longcoat - sports one in Silver Hawk (no relation) as the titular motorcycling vigilante.
- Banned In Myanmar - For portraying Aung San Suu Kyi in a biographical movie about the latter.
- Breakout Character - Police Story 3 starred her character, who was the Sidekick of Jackie's character in the previous movie. She was so popular with audiences, her character had a spinoff movie.
- Also, a sequel to Tomorrow Never Dies was planned with her in mind but it never came to fruition for some reason.
- The Cameo - She was the snake charmer in the recent Karate Kid remake.
- Dark Action Girl - Often played this role when she was younger.
- Distaff Counterpart - She is often seen as the female Jackie Chan since she does her own stunts, just like Jackie.
- Doing It for the Art - As mentioned above, she did all of her own stunts in her action movies.
- Playing Against Type - Soothsayer anyone?