|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Mega Man: Defender of the Human Race is a fanfic that acts as a retelling/continuation of the Mega Man cartoon, written by MegaBauer.
Rather than being a straight adaptation of the show, it blends the games and the cartoon and features original characters and plotlines. It also mixes episode orders and excises infamous ones, such as Curse of the Lion Men, entirely.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Wily's father.
- Adaptation Expansion
- Anti-Villain: Protoman has a policy to not kill, and it's clear that Wily's programming is what makes him unable to defy the doctor. He was also very conflicted over the Heel Face Mole part of "Brothers".
- Ascended Extra: Doc the Metool, who only appeared in the first episode of the show, is here a more prominent character who bonds deeply with Roll. And then he dies.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Wily's grins are often described as this.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Marcus Vickers as of episode 7; before then he was mostly ineffectual.
- Darker and Edgier: Than the show; Wily in particular is a much darker, twisted character, and a couple characters die or are severely injured.
- Dramatic Pause: There are a few pauses in the narration and sometimes in dialogue that are used for effect.
- The Faceless: Mr. Black, at first.
- Fantastic Racism: William Cochran led an anti-robot group.
- Foil: Dr. Light and Dr. Wily contrast in every way, from personality to backstory.
- Mega Man, Proto Man, and Bass all qualify too.
- Hidden Villain/Hidden Agenda Villain: Mr. Black combines the tropes; he's initially seen as faceless, but eventually his face, backstory, and name are slowly revealed--though his true agenda and targets aren't clear.
- Also, the Conduit.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Doc the Metool.
- Honest Corporate Executive: Erickson. Sadly, he's also a Yes-Man.
- Intrepid Reporter: Bree Ricotta, in contrast to her RS-Megaman personality. Her nasty comments from "Mega-Pinocchio" were passed on to a reporter named Dick.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Dr. Light's reaction to the Gamma ordeal, and Vickers's when he learns the truth about Bass and his creator.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Wily's foiled a couple of his own schemes, and Vickers ruined a potential deal with Cossack.
- Original Character: Marcus Vickers, Lynn, Castor, and Mr. Black are just a few.
- Revenge: Roll wants revenge on Wily for killing Doc.
- Shout-Out: To Mega Man Recut's "It's not a banana!" meme.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Seen in early episodes, but faded when Roll confronted her family about it.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Bass, at least at first.
- Villainous Breakdown: Ever since episode 4 and the Gamma ordeal, Wily's been slowly losing it.
- Wham! Episode: Episode 3 has one in Doc's death. Almost the entirety of episode 4 is one, with Gamma being activated and defeating Megaman. And episode 7 has a huge one with the introduction of Bass and Treble.
- Yes-Man: Scott Erickson, Vickers' second in command.