|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
A series with one or more pieces of technology as a significant main character. Most of these are Humongous Mecha, of either the Real Robot or Super Robot subclass, but it is equally true of shows with cool bikes, high tech body armor, amazing racing cars, and space fighter craft.
Almost any genre of story can, and has been, combined with the Mecha Show. Any Japanese Sci Fi series is almost certain to feature one or more machines in a starring role, as well as most Steampunk, Cyberpunk, and even Heroic Fantasy.
The most important part is that the focus of every episode is on the cool characters doing cool stuff with their cool toys.
- Speed Racer, about a cool racing car.
- As does Future GPX Cyber Formula, except it has loads of cool racing cars.
- Uchuu Senkan Yamato had rather nice fighter craft in addition to the eponymous battleship.
- Technovoyager a.k.a Thunderbirds 2086, features cool rescue spaceships that can combine together.
- The entire Gundam franchise.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Every part of the Mazinsaga.
- Getter Robo
- Kotetsu Jeeg
- Combattler V
- Voltes V
- Zambot 3
- Daitarn 3
- Neon Genesis Evangelion, although there are, technically, no mecha in it.
- Digimon Xros Wars is a rare case of the Mons becoming Humongous Mecha.
- GoLion, aka Voltron, and its various American sequel series.