The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Alternative Character Interpretation:
- In the original anime, Kouji Kabuto was a sexist Jerk with a Heart of Gold and a Chaste Hero. However in the original manga he was less sexist and less jerkish, but he was more of a pervert (and he even blushed when Sayaka paid him a compliment). The Gosaku Ota manga, being an adaptation of the anime, stood halfway between both characterizations. Later retellings were mostly based on his manga incarnation, but maybe his weirdest version has to be that from New Mazinger, an one-shot manga set in an alternate war-torn future where he was a soldier. As well, fans tend to argue if he did or did not love Sayaka and if he preffered Maria.
- Sayaka Yumi was always a Tsundere, but in the original manga she was Type B and in the original series she was Type A. Her characterization in later versions varies between one type or another. And some fans think she was very stuck-up and bratty and more interested about showing off than saving the world, whereas other fans state she was simply an Action Girl had a very short supply of patience to deal with a loud-mouthed Idiot Hero and an aloof father.
- Dr. Kabuto in the original anime and the Gosaku Ota episodes was a well-meaning, kind scientist. But in the original manga he was a Mad Scientist (and that is the version usually is followed). In the Shin Mazinger Zero manga, though, he is a Complete Monster.
- Boss is the Comic Relief to some fans. To other fans he is an unsung hero who always helps to the main characters and has nothing for his efforts.
- Baron Ashura usually was completely loyal to Dr. Hell. But in the Gosaku Ota episodes he got fed up with Hell punishing his/her failures and Brocken mocking him/her, and he/she decided betraying Hell.
- Cargo Ship: Mixed in with Robo Ship. Minerva X, unlike Mazinger, was sentient but was also designed to be the other half of Mazinger's Battle Couple.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: In a meta sense. Go Nagai originally made this simply to blow off steam while writing the horribly depressing Devilman manga and directing the anime. Mazinger blew Devilman out of the water in terms of popularity, which Nagai always had odd feelings about.)
- First Installment Wins: Mazinger Z has got a lot of sequels (Great Mazinger, UFO Robo Grendizer...), alternate series (God Mazinger, Shin Mazinger Zero...) and reimaginings (Mazinkaiser, Shin Mazinger...). Neither of them has got the success, the impact or the popularity enjoyed the original series.
- Funny in Hindsight: Boss had a long-haired, female cousin. Her name was Misato. Probably because his seiyuu in Mazinkaiser is Fumihiko Tachiki AKA Gendo.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The Spanish loved it so much that they built a statue. No really. To be fair, it was going to be a part of an amusement park that was never built, but still...
- Harsher in Hindsight: In episode 17, Holzon V3 unleashed a chain of strong earthquakes left in ruins several Japanese cities and killed a lot of people. Forty years later, after a chain of earthquakes and tsunamis turned several Japanese cities in rubble, that episode looks even more tragic.
- And Dr. Kabuto's manor, where he built Mazinger-Z, was located on the Forest of Aokigahara. Why is that relevant? Read and get creeped out. At least it seems clear why Juuzo chose that place: nobody would try to bother him or spy on him.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Boss saved the world."
- "Increase the soup" (an infamous translation error).
- Older Than They Think: Despite "Seinfeld Is Unfunny", this series didn't create the Rocket Punch. Giant Robo did.
- OT 3: There are not many fans who do this, but some of them consider Kouji/Sayaka/Maria is a solution to the most important Love Triangle in the trilogy (nobody seems considering Kouji/Sayaka/Boss or Tetsuya/Jun/Boss, nevertheless. Poor Boss).
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: It's hard to overstate how many Science Fantasy Humongous Mecha tropes, and sci-fi anime in general, that Mazinger Z created. When it was released internationally, it even got accused of ripping off GoLion despite predating it by a decade. Even Transformers Super God Masterforce and some later Transformers animes owe quite a lot to it.
- Values Dissonance: The reason why Kouji's blatant sexism towards Sayaka (and the main reason why she was so Tsundere for him) had to be toned down as the Mazinsaga continued. It'd be very NOT funny to have him say "girls must not fight and you are stupid for thinking otherwise" in Mazinkaiser, after all.
- In fact, that characterization was more in line with his personality in the original manga.
- What Do You Mean It's for Kids?: Like many Go Nagai works, Mazinger Z was aimed to children and young teens in Japan, but it was judged to be too violent to be seen by children in other countries such as Spain and the Philippines.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.