|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Max Overacts is about a precocious
eight nine-year old boy who believes the world is a stage, and that he is the star. The series blends humor and drama, all shown with beautiful, expressive art.
The comic can be found at http://occasionalcomics.com/
Max Overacts provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: Max and his ventriloquist dummy, Curio.
- Book Dumb: Max does not get good grades and is as risk of repeating third grade. Though, it as less to do with school work being difficult and more to do with his boredom of it. Ms Cheng ends up striking a deal with max that if he maintains a good grade average he can preform play in front of the class once a month.
- Caustic Critic: Ms Cheng has the class read out loud their reviews of the Pinocchio play max starred in. They use it as opportunity to get back at max for his antics and bash Max's performance.
- Cheerful Child: Max's enthusiasm and energy usually registers off the charts, much to the chagrin of almost everyone around him.
- Class Clown: Max surpasses even Calvin in his classroom antics, keeping Ms Cheng at her wits end. Sometimes Klaus gets in on the act too.
- Classically-Trained Extra: Sir Allan Magellan: Max's next door neighbor, former television star, and recluse; is one of these.
- Large Ham: The fact that the main character is one of these is pretty much the premise of the whole comic. As the title suggests.
- Love Triangle: Max is in love with Janet but later gains a crush on Auryn. It doesn't end well for his chances with either girl. Janet dumps Max because she feels that he prefers Auryn to her and Auryn moves to Alaska
- Model Couple: Max comes to Janet's costume birthday party as dressed as Peter Pan, much to her horror, since she's dressed as Tinkerbell. She quickly grabs a toy bow and arrow from another kid and gives in to Max so he can be Robin Hood instead.
- Puppy Love: Max and Janet. And Max towards Auryn.
- Put on a Bus: Auryn, Max's other love interest, ends up moving to Alaska. Something that Janet gleefully points out to Max when she breaks up with him
- Reclusive Artist: The retired Sir Allan. We later find out why.
- Thinking Out Loud: Both Max's Mum and his Teacher have had talks with him about soliloquies.
- Ventriloquism: Max frequently interacts with various puppets, most notably Curio.