|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Actually, it focuses more on the Mary Sues in Fan Fiction Land. Turns out that being a Mary Sue is more like a job. Young Mary Sues and Gary Stus go to the prestigious Mary Sue Academy to hone their skills and be given parts in fan fiction.
Mary Sue Academy is Written By Heather Lawson &Illustrated by Shmivv. A deviantart featuring character bios and a FAQ can be found here.
Tropes That Can Be Found In Mary Sue Academy:
- Becoming the Mask: There's an interesting mental disorder called Character Shock Syndrome Sue. It's where a Mary Sue become the character they portray over a long period of time. They start to forget their original identity and eventually adopt the characters life as their own. Jessica Pluto is currently suffering from the first stages of this, though there may be time to save her.
- Viddie Coffay's mother is patient zero
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Goddess Mary Sue & Dominique show shades of this.
- Cast Full of Gay: While they play for either team in fanfiction, while off the clock & living their real lives it's very hard to find a straight Marty Stu.
- Chekhov's Gun: Viddie's past forays into the real world. When she's exiled and Lolly is in the real world posing as Claire and looking for her, Sam shows Lolly a DVD of a 'Bad Girls Club'/Real World parody. Just guess who one of the stars of the show was.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The current arc. Due to current trends and vampires becomign more prevalent, the vampire stus have taken hostage of Mary Sue as well as more populated spaces of the fanfiction realm. All of this leads to the enlisting of...
- The Chosen One: Claire McGill, the fanfiction writer that spawned Lolly's first practice, though her exact purpose is still to be revealed at this time.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Most notably Sparrow Lollyheart Tales, who is a religious user of sparkle powder and canonically has sparkling stars in her hair.
- Musical Episode: The second chapter starts with Goddess Mary Sue singing a song to the beat of "Hello, Baltimore" with everyone joining in, whether they want to or not. The writers said that this was inspired by that one episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Sassy Black Woman - Vittoria Coffee AKA Viddie Coffay
- The Reveal: Arwen is the real sister of Jessica Pluto and the only living family she has. She's harbored a long standing hatred for her sister though, and is more than ready to exterminate her when meeting up with her again after she starts displaying symptoms of Character Shock Syndrome Sue
- Thirty-Sue Pileup: In universe. Since it's a school for Mary Sues, there would be plenty of Sues.
- Lampshade Hanging : Constantly done as can be expected. Everytime something like a flashback needs to be triggered at least one character will mention it before hand.
- Parody Sue: The series pretty much embodies this trope.