You probably remember them from Full House. Or maybe it was the straight-to-VHS mystery movies? Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have been the top earning stars under the age of 21 throughout the 2000s. They earned $40 million last year even though they haven't acted in anything. The girls do quite well living off their royalties, and were more famous for dating people, talking to debutantes (Paris Hilton) and having anorexia scandals (Mary Kate) in the tabloids. (in 2004/2005/2006).
They have since asked to be called Mary Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen since they have grown up. heir success has been marked on Forbes The Celebrity 100 list since 2002, and in 2007 Forbes ranked the twins as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated net worth of $100 million.
Now Mary Kate has taken on acting in such movies as Beastly, The Wackness and the upcoming Story Of a Girl. She's also played minor roles in the show Weeds and Samantha Who? (One episode). Mary-Kate has her own line with Jane Belfry and Fred Holston the line is currantly in development.
Ashley is currantly focusing on their clothing lines. "The Row", "Elizabeth And James" and "Olsenboyne"
In Fall 2008 the girls wrote a book called "Influence" as a tribute to designers, artists and other industry creative individuals who inspired them.
A little known fact is that they are technically Non-Identical Twins, and are fraternal. One's face is slightly rounder than the other.
They have a sister named Elizabeth, also an actress, who made her cinematic debut in 2012's Martha Marcy May Marlene.
Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen have appeared on these works:
- Full House (not on screen at the same time)
- They were credited as "Mary Kate Ashley Olsen", leading many to believe that the little girl was played by one actress.
- Two Of A Kind a short lived tv sitcom as pre teens.
- So Little Time, a short-lived tween Sitcom starring the two.
- Mary Kate and Ashley In Action!, a short-lived Saturday Morning Cartoon starring the twins as Ink Suit Actors.
- Saturday Night Live (guest hosting)
- A plethora of mystery series for children (in literature and videos)
- A plethora of party movies for children
- A plethora of Direct to Video tween comedies
Some tropes used by their movies:
- Witness Protection: Our Lips Are Sealed (the Australian one)
- The Parent Trap: A rip-off called It Takes Two.
- The Danza: Mary Kate and Ashley Burke in Two of a Kind.
- Runaway Bride: Their father in It Takes Two. He was marrying the Rich Bitch, so it's okay!
Some tropes used by their TV shows:
- Alpha Bitch: Jennifer in Two of a Kind.
- Missing Mom: Both Full House and Two of a Kind have the Olsens playing the daughter(s) of a widowed father.
- Take That: "I Blame The Media" after getting caught making a mess in Larrypolooza in So Little Time.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: In Two of a Kind, Ashley was presented as a very fashion-forward girl while Mary-Kate was a typical tomboy.