|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Mary, Mary is a Comedy of Remarriage by Jean Kerr.
The play is about the professional and romantic headaches of Bob McKellaway, a bright, sensible fellow who heads a small publishing company, and the four guests he invites to his home-office apartment:
- Tiffany Richards, a wealthy, no-nonsense young woman who is Bob's fiancée;
- Oscar Nelson, a tax lawyer who explains to Bob that, what with the alimony the court ordered him to pay, he's not making ends meet and certainly can't afford a second divorce;
- Dirk Winsten, a Hollywood actor who was once in the Navy with Bob, with literary aspirations and some surprising insights, and
- Mary McKellaway, Bob's ex-wife, a highly moody woman who tends to crack jokes at the wrong moments.
Not to be confused with the gospel music duo Mary Mary, or the song "Mary Mary", recorded by The Monkees among others.
This play contains examples of:
- Must Have Nicotine: Mary's frantic search for a cigarette.
- Nice Guy: Bob, until the end.
- Please Put Some Clothes On
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Dirk gives one to Mary.
- Tsundere: Mary.
- Writing Lines: Done orally by Mary.