|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Married to the Sea - the champaigne of web comics.
Married to the Sea is a gag-a-day webcomic created by Drew (of Toothpaste for Dinner fame) Natalee Dee (of Natalie Dee fame). It is not drawn per se - it is more of a collage made of public domain black and white pictures, mostly from Victorian era USA, with captions and dialogue added. Most of the humour is based upon how oddly the captions and dialogues fit, reinterpreting the picture entirely. Intentional anachronisms, both in topics and in speech, are also added pretty often. There is also social commentary and just simply nonsensical stuff.
You can read it here.
Tropes used by this webcomic:
- Anachronism Stew
- Art Style Dissonance: In the same way as Wondermark.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch
- Catch Phrase: "Bitch, don't make me come out of the vase."
- Running Gag: Several: The mechanical rabbit TALKING NONSENSE IN ALLCAPS and Richard (the guy with the circles in the vase) appear in a number of strips.
- TO THINK OF IT ALL ANIMALS AND OBJECTS ALMOST ALWAYS TALK IN ALLCAPS WITHOUT PUNCTUATION FOR SOME REASON
- A flock of seagulls, all repeating the same phrase.
- A man a beard heckling various people.
- Precision F-Strike
- Recurring Element: Some of the stock photos and their elements appear multiple times.
- Schedule Slip: Averted for years, new strip is always uploaded daily at midnight.
- Take That: Mostly to government and religion.