|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Somebody gonna get his ass kicked/
Somebody gonna get his wig split/
Beat him up, break his neck/
Beat him up, break his neck
Mark Henry is a professional wrestler, dubbed "The World's Strongest Man", and is a 15-year veteran of WWE. He has won both the World Heavyweight Championship and WWE's version of the ECW Championship.
You can read all about his career in WWE over on That Other Wiki.
Tropes associated with Mark Henry include:
- All-American Face: His original wrestling gimmick back in 1996.
- Angry Black Man
- Arch Enemy: The Big Show as of late.
- Ax Crazy
- Badass Beard
- Badass Boast: "You can't beat me with strength. Speed can't beat me. You're gonna find out, YOU, JUST, CAN'T, BEAT, ME... PERIOD! I am the world's strongest man! You better be worried about surviving through the night."
- Big Beautiful Man: Apparently.
- The Big Guy (Face)
- The Brute (Heel)
- Blood Knight: Yes.
- Breakup Breakout: It took him awhile, but ultimately his star has shined brighter than former tag-team partners D'Lo Brown, Rodney Mack, and Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP).
- Casanova Wannabe: As "Sexual Chocolate" in the late 90's.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: In Real Life. Dude lifted a Hummer.
- Compliment Backfire: To everybody who tried to congratulate him after he became the World Heavyweight Champion.
- Canon Dis Continuity: Storyline with Mae Young and a pregnancy? What are you talking about?
- ...she gave birth to a what? A hand?!
- David Versus Goliath: Unless he's going up against someone like Kane or The Big Show, Mark Henry is always Goliath. Subverted in his encounters with Bryan Danielson, as (so far) Mark Henry has always come out on top.
- Fat and Skinny: Whenever he's tagging with someone smaller than him - which is pretty much everyone on the active roster except for The Big Show and Brodus Clay. That said, a couple of Henry's regular tag partners have been on the slight side even as wrestlers are concerned - like Evan Bourne, for example.
- Finishing Move: The World's Strongest Slam (A high-angle falling powerslam)
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Spent a year as a face jobber to the stars, with The Worf Effect setting in on his "World's Strongest Man" moniker. Then he spent several months ripping Big Show, Kane, and Sheamus to shreds and defeated Randy Orton clean for the title, cementing him as WWE's number one monster heel.
- Inverted after Wrestlemania. Maybe in part due to his injuries, he's been conspicuous by his absence.
- Game-Breaking Injury: During his "monster heel push" in 2011, Henry smashed the ankles of The Big Show, Kane, Vladimir Koslov and The Great Khali with steel chairs, forcing them out of action. (He even calls this group his "Hall of Pain").
- His groin injury that led to him dropping his World Title. Now it looks like it has led him to do surgery and be out for an undetermined amount of time.
- Glass Cannon: Has gotten injured a lot. (But I wouldn't call him this to his face).
- Groin Attack: Unsure if he could beat The Big Show in his last championship match, he simply kicked Show in the balls. (Since the title cannot change hands via DQ, he remained the champion.) Big Show was... not pleased.
- The Juggernaut
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Hero-Killer: In his 2011 heel push he's injured The Big Show, Kane, and Vladimir Koslov before pinning Randy Orton clean.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: At Survivor Series 2011, The Big Show snared Henry's leg in a chair and leg-dropped it.
- Kick Them While They Are Down
- Likes Older Women: About Mae Young.
- Mighty Glacier
- Moral Myopia: Despite repeatedly breaking people's legs himself just because he can, he gets mad at The Big Show for trying to do it to him.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Hey Mark, remember how you took out Kane? Who was suffering from a bit of Badass Decay the last time we saw him? Yea, well, he's back now, and badder than ever. And he has his mask back on. Good news though, he's going after John Cena.
- Oh Crap: Had this reaction when a masked Kane returned. Allthough, he was not the target
- Old Shame: The crowd has occasionally broken out into "Sexual Chocolate" chants during his 2011 push, his less than serious gimmick in the 90s. Probably didn't help that he temporarily brought back the gimmick for "Old School Night" on Raw in 2010, reminding knowledgeable fans of it.
- Power Stable: Was a member of The Nation of Domination with The Rock, Faarooq, and D'Lo Brown.
- Precision F-Strike: His current WWE character promo ends with a him saying "...someone's gonna get their ass kicked." Since this is PGWWE, the line is put through a heavy filter to make it sound scary and unintelligible but it's not really hard to hear it.
- Subverted as he's quoting the lyrics from his entrance music (and says as such during the promo), which play uncensored. Not to mention the word 'ass' is one of the few bits of language that's tolerable on PG-rated television. Other characters - such as CM Punk and even Teddy Long can and have used it on television.
- Put on a Bus: Has been "indefinitely" suspended for putting his hands on Teddy Long. This was so he could take time off to heal, as he suffered a knee injury on top off his groin injury.
- The Bus Came Back in a relatively short order, first appearing on the Elimination Chamber PPV endorsing John Laurinaitis for Raw and Smackdown GM, then on Raw, then finally Smackdown.
- Is out for an undetermined amount of time due a surgery.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Has had to be written out of several angles due to injury during his career.
- Was also recently written back into a storyline due to another superstar's injury when WWE was planning to let him stay on the shelf to heal for another month or so.
- Red Baron: World's Strongest Man.
- Interesting point; the title is semi-legit. He won a world's strongest man competition back in the mid nineties. Thing is, the competition is held annually and Henry is well passed his competing days for that particular sport.
- Scary Black Man
- Sore Loser: If he faces someone who can match him in strength, this is his usual reaction. For example, when he faced Kane in arm wrestling, when Kane was on the verge of winning, Mark punched him in the face with his other hand, then gave him a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: Technically, he is The Undertaker's 13th
opponentvictim in Wrestlemania (At the time, Undertaker had fought Kane twice).
- Too Dumb to Live: Taunting The Big Show while on crutches wasn't the smartest idea.
- Took a Level In Badass / Badass Decay: His 2011 Face Heel Turn saw him turn from a midcard face with Informed Ability into a midcard heel with slightly less Informed Ability and a bad attitude. Then his angle with The Big Show took off, and Henry turned into The Juggernaut, taking four men out of action (it's notable that all of them were Super Heavyweights, to boot). This led to a World Title run where he pinned Randy Orton clean in a match that really was not all that close. Once he dropped the title (to The Big Show, who lost it to Daniel Bryan about two minutes later), he degenerated into another common brute again and didn't seem quite as threatening. He even lost several weeks of television time as well as a PPV to an injury. Now that Teddy Long and John Laurinaitis are in a storyline power struggle over WWE's two main brands, Henry looks to be on his way to becoming a nigh-unstoppable menace again.
- Unnecessary Roughness: Most of the things Henry's done since his 'Hall of Pain' gimmick started. Especially the bit about destroying people's ankles with chairs.
- Unstoppable Rage: GOD DAMN!!!!
- Villain Song: "Somebody's gonna get their ass kicked...somebody's gonna get their wig split! ...BEAT 'EM UP! (Beat 'em up!) BREAK HIS NECK! (Break his neck!)"
- Worf Effect: The Rock recently did this to him to show up John Cena.