|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Hi, Kids!! It's time for us to solve the mystery of "Picross"!"—Mario
In this picture puzzle game for the Game Boy, the player helps Mario discover hidden pictures by filling in blocks in a grid. The numbers along the top and left side of the grid provide clues as to which blocks should be filled in.
The games in the overall Picross series are:
- Mario's Picross (1995, Game Boy)
- Mario's Super Picross (1995. SNES)
- Picross 2 (Game Boy)
- Picross NP (eight volumes for the "Nintendo Power Super Famicom Cartridge Writer", a rewritable SNES cart)
- Picross DS (Nintendo DS)
- Picross 3D (Nintendo DS)
- Picross-E (Nintendo 3DS)
Tropes Used in Mario's Picross:
- Console Cameo: Both Mario's Picross and DS include puzzles of Nintendo systems (Mario's just has one of the Game Boy, DS has a whole series of them).
- Grid Puzzle
- No Export for You: Super Picross was eventually released in the PAL regions via Wii's Virtual Console service, but Picross 2 and Picross NP were only in Japan.
- Spiritual Successor: Nintendo has recently made Picross games for the Nintendo DS without the Mario branding, but made Mario's Picross level packs available for download.
- Time Trial: Completing the Star course unlocks time trial mode, where you solve a random picross as quickly as possible. In this mode, you have unlimited time, but mistakes aren't revealed.