|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Marie Antionette is a 2006 film by written and directed by Sofia Coppola, loosely based on the life of Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst). The film follows the fifteen year old princess on her way to the French Court to be married to Louis XVI, her reign as queen, and through the beginning of the French Revolution, when she and her husband where forced to relocate to Paris.
Provides Examples Of:
- Anachronism Stew: Deliberately invoked. The director used modern music and a quick shot of sneakers to express the idea of Marie Antoinette being a teenaged girl.
- Arranged Marriage
- Beam Me Up, Scotty: "Let them eat cake!" Marie Antoinette lampshades this saying she would never say that!
- Costume Porn: Accentuating the extravagance of Marie Antoinette's court.
- Female Success Is Family: Marie is constantly reminded that if she fails to produce children her marriage can be annulled and she can be shipped back to Austria.
- Fish Out of Water: Marie Antoinette when she first arrives at the French Court.
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: Marie begins wearing huge plumes in her hair. She nearly catches one on a candle at a party.
- The French Revolution
- Good Times Montage: Combined with Costume Test Montage.
- Gorgeous Period Dress
- High Class Call Girl: Madame Du Barry, she's only there to give the King pleasure.
- Historical Domain Character: Obviously.
- Lady in Red: Madame Du Barry, probably to contrast with all of the paler colors of the French Court.
- Masquerade Ball: Mainly an excuse for excessive Costume Porn.
Companion: We should all go to Paris for the masked ball.
- Nice Hat: So many to choose from but the huge feathery one belonging to Marie Antoinette is possibly the most ludicrous.
- Although when she's at Louis XVI's celebrations she wears a ship on her head!
- Prince Charmless: Louis XVI to begin with. Then he gets more likable and becomes more of a Hopeless Suitor.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Marie Antoinette wears a few pink dresses.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: It was years before the marriage of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette was consummated.
- Requisite Royal Regalia
- Running Gag: Marie Antoinette's morning routine.
- Show Some Leg: Madame Du Barry.
- Sword In My Pocket: "Look at that Sword."
- Those Two Guys: The gossip aunts, Victoire and Sophie.
- Time Passes Montage: Done with paintings, and combined with Boredom/SadTimesMontage
- Torches and Pitchforks - The Women's March on Versailles
- Voiceover Letter: The letters from Marie Antoinette's mother are read in the mother's voice.
- Wakeup Makeup: Marie Antoinette's first scene has her fast asleep in bed. Her hair's slightly messy but her makeup is impeccable.
- And in the carriage on the way to meet Louis XVI.