|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Manami Toyota is a Japanese female Professional Wrestler, and widely regarded as the greatest ever female wrestler.
Toyota was born in 1971, made her wrestling debut in 1987 with All Japan Womens Pro Wrestling, and gained widespread attention at Wrestle Marinepiad 1989, where she and Mima Shimoda defeated Toshiyo Yamada and Etsuko Mita in an opening match that upstaged the more established wrestlers on the card. Her rise continued throughout the early 90s, establishing herself as one of the top names in women's wrestling. Towards the end of the 90s, injuries forced her to slow down from the fast-paced style she had become known for, but she continues to wrestle today, and has appeared in the US for the CHIKARA promotion.
The following tropes apply to Manami Toyota:
- Action Girl
- Arch Enemy: Toshiyo Yamada from 1989 to 1992, then Aja Kong.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: You could practically list her entire career, but highlights include:
- Toyota and Mima Shimoda vs Toshiyo Yamada and Etsuko Mita at Wrestle Marinepiad 1989
- Toyota vs Yamada hair vs hair
- Toyota & Yamada vs Dynamite Kansai and Mayumi Ozaki (Wrestling Observer match of the year 1993)
- Toyota vs Kyoko Inoue (Wrestling Observer match of the year 1995)
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: After winning her hair vs hair match against Toshiyo Yamada, she declared that Yamada had earned her respect and begged officials not to subject her to the humiliation of having her head shaved, even offering to have her own head shaved instead (and going so far as to start cutting her own hair to prove the point). She had to be physically restrained while the shaving of Yamada's head took place.
- Defeat Means Friendship: She and Yamada became tag team partners after their feud ended.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Toshiyo Yamada. Yamada was short-haired, dressed in more boyish attire, and used a lot of stiff kicks in her offense, while Toyota had long hair, her ring attire had more frills/decorations, and her offense was focused on speed and high-flying maneuvers.