|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Malparida was a 2010 Argentine telenovela. It told the story of the poor Renata Medina, whose mother María Herrera was in love with the rich Lorenzo Uribe. Lorenzo was forced by his family to leave her, and she died a short time later. Renata and her grandmother Grazia swore vengueance against Lorenzo, so she took a job with him, in order to seduce him, get married with him, and then kill him. She had a brief romance with Lautaro, Lorenzo's son, but continued the plan. Lorenzo's lost brother, a businessman known as "the admiral", show up and swore vengueance against him as well, but Renata's plan conflicted with his, so they became enemies.
Renata took Lorenzo to a trap, but she was finally incapable to kill him, so she left... and then, Lorenzo was killed by Grazia, who was waiting in the car. Renata killed the admiral, but he had left a letter for his nephew, detailing Renata's murders. After having killed most of the cast, Renata thought she could have a happy ending with Lautaro, but he left her. Finally she suicided.
Malparida contains examples of:
- Cain and Abel: Lorenzo and the admiral have grown too much far away from mere Sibling Rivalry. The admiral even shot his brother and left him for dead (which was a mistake, but the intention is what counts).
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: The priest Marcelo knew much things. He knew that Lorenzo was not aware that María was pregnant when he left her, and that Grazia was keeping that small detail from Renata. He knew about the real family of Esmeralda (but he can't say either thing, because of confession secrecy) He tried to convince Renata from giving up the vengueance plot, and just be happy with Lautaro. So, Grazia invited him to have tea and discuss things. Before drinking, he invoked the trope, saying that for a moment he feared that Grazia may had poisoned the tea. Grazia laughed at the comment... then, she took a gun and killed the priest right there.
- Downer Ending: Invoked by Grazia's ghost: "this story can not end well" (nearing the real-world end of the telenovela). Indeed, Lautaro finally learned about Renata's crimes, left her, and troubled by all the deaths she had caused, Renata jumps the top of a church and suicides.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Yep. A "Malparida" is exactly what she is.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: The Admiral played this role, before actually appearing
- I See Dead People: The admiral killed Grazia, but she still manifested as a ghost to Renata. It was either that the power of hate allowed her to keep protecting and guiding her grandson in her quest, or that Renata simply became nuts and began to hear voices. By the way, this ghost had no problems to manifest inside a church, and tease Renata when she prays for the people she just killed.
- Kill'Em All: The highest example in Argentine telenovelas
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Grazia
- Religion of Evil: Grazia keeps praying to "San La Muerte" to bring death and misfortune to her enemies.
- Revenge: It's all about that
- The Apprentice: Renata
- The Lancer: Esmeralda
- The Obi-Wan: Grazia guides and advises Renata in her vengueance plot, telling her how to be a Manipulative Bastard, and teasing her when she had moral doubts about the quest. If Renata gives it all up and leaves with Lautaro, who will avenge María Herrera?
- Villain Protagonist: Having seen the premise, who would consider Renata a "hero"? She even find out that Lorenzo was forced to leave his mother, instead of leaving her by his own will, but continued the vengueance plot anyway.