|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The protagonist of Majikoi, Yamato is actually the tactician of the group and not the leader. Surprisingly for the protagonist of an eroge, he emphasizes trickery and blatant cheating over any semblance of honor. He and Shoichi formed the original Kazama family.
- Action Survivor
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Chris.
- Berserk Button: He's got two:
- The first one is if someone plays with his pet hermit crabs.
- The second one is if someone insults his father who ran away from Japan.
- Butt Monkey: Has some tendencies in the anime.
- The Chessmaster: A refreshing change from the usual type of male lead.
- Covert Pervert: Yamato's nearly as perverted as Yonpachi, but he hides in front of girls to the extent that if you tell a single dirty joke, you actually surprise a laugh out of Chika because she didn't expect that from him.
- Crazy Prepared
- Guile Hero: Bribes and cheating are standard operating procedure if it's to bring victory to the Kazama Family.
- Handsome Lech
- High School Hustler: He gambles at school on a regular basis, and hides specific Mahjong tiles on himself at all times just in case. His network of contacts includes members of the teaching staff, which he calls upon at one point in order to... peek on girls during a hot springs visit.
- Ignore Miyako's Teasing: In the anime.
- Non-Action Guy: While an expert tactician, he is an extremely poor fighter compared to the rest of his peers at Kawakami High School.
- Porn Stash
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections: Yamato maintains an extensive network of acquaintances and people who owe him favors. Among other things, he uses it to cheat at a scavenger hunt in Yukie's route and to get Chris and him back into Kawakami Academy after they both drop out to live together for a while.
Momoyo "Momo" Kawakami
The heir to the Kawakami temple, Momo is possibly the strongest person alive. She receives endless streams of challengers, but they are never enough to sate her lust for battle. Apart from her Blood Knight tendencies, she mostly enjoys herself by picking up flirting with other girls or teasing Yamato. She joined the Kazama family when the group realized they needed a stronger fight in order to deal with a gang they were in conflict with.
- Big Sister Bully: She's sometimes like this towards Yamato, when she's not being a Cool Big Sis. Made blatantly clear in episode 1 of the anime when she invited Yamato over for some "quality time" (or, in her words, she picking on him).
- Big Eater: Or so claimed by Matsukaze in the anime.
- Confirmed when she was carrying a lot of yakisoba sandwiches.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Subverted when she's hit by multiple bullets, but thanks to her Healing Factor, she gets rid of those scars quickly.
- Best Her to Bed Her: She will not acknowledge any men that cannot best her. It doesn't have to be in physical prowess, however, which is pretty fortunate considering her extreme strength.
- Blood Knight: Arguably her defining trait. Much to the concern of the head and assistant instructor of the Kawakami style. This is an important plot point that is resolved in various ways depending on the path followed (generally either via Yamato or mountain training).
- Boisterous Bruiser: Probably the closest any girl could come to being.
- Boobs of Steel: Exactly as the trope is described.
- Brilliant but Lazy: She's actually pretty intelligent on the rare occasions she bothers to try. Unfortunately, she only does so periodically so that she doesn't outright fail.
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Shows shades of this in the anime, despite already having rejected Yamato's confession twice (eg after seeing him being affectionately protected by the other four girls after dealing with an exploding grenade, she gets into a rage and beats the snot out of the poor Yamato).
- Coat Cape
- Cool Big Sis
- Depraved Bisexual
- Finger-Poke of Doom: Strong enough to flick away bullets.
- Flash Step
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Her fists are weapons of choice
- Healing Factor: Adds to her toughness, especially in the final battle. She even quickly recovers from a life threatening injury (being stabbed in the chest by a piece of debris, which seemingly killed her; turns out she was just playing opposum) after Yamato kisses her.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Just see the main page picture.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: Used a minigun as a blunt object. Not because of circumstances; she simply didn't know how to actually use it properly (as lampshaded by Yamato).
- Justified since in Japan firearms are banned.
- Lightning Bruiser: While she's obviously known for her brute strength, many of her opponents underestimate her speed.
- Marshmallow Hell: Subjects Yamato to this sometimes
- Megaton Punch: Not just for dealing with perverts, as demonstrated in this fighting match (or uh, make that a Curb Stomp Battle).
- Perpetual Smiler: Slasher Smile Variant
- Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo
- The Tease: Didn't mind at all being ogled by Yamato while in a skimpy bikini, or sharing an Indirect Kiss via a partially eaten yakisoba sandwich.
Kazuko "Wanko" Kawakami
Kazuko, more frequently referred to Wanko, is Momoyo's adoptive little sister. As a child she used to be a huge crybaby and hasn't entirely shed those traits yet. She works extremely hard to fulfill her dream of becoming an assistant master at the Kawakami temple and supporting her older sister. She joined the Kawakami family when Kazama and Yamato noticed her hanging around them watching in the distance and invited her.
- Alliterative Name
- Animal Motif: Everyone constantly compares her to a dog.
- Big Eater
- Blade on a Stick
- Dude Magnet: To the surprise of the group, she's actually quite popular and in her route has both Gen and Hideo confess to her immediately after Yamato does.
- Fiery Redhead
- Genki Girl
- Happily Adopted
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Despite how hard she trains, she usually loses her matches. A plot point in her route: Momoyo and Tesshin state she just doesn't have the raw talent to become an assistant master at Kawakami no matter how hard she works.
- Love Dodecahedron: In her route, Yamato, Hideo and Gen all confess to her at once and she likes Yamato back, much to Miyako's horror.
- Pyrrhic Victory: When both of them are going all out, she manages to beat Chris through willpower alone after being badly beaten. However, by that point she had taken too much damage and fell unconscious herself. Some complete nobody won the tournament they were in after that and she failed her test.
- The Rival: To Chris. She wants to be Momoyo's rival, though.
- Team Pet: She is more suited in this role than Cookie, thanks to Yamato's training.
Miyako, to put it bluntly, is Yamato's stalker. After he saved her from bullying she has been quite openly in love with him. Unfortunately for her, it makes him kind of uncomfortable and he'd rather remain her friend. She joined the group when she protected the plant the other six were protecting during a vicious storm.
- The Archer
- Childhood Friend Romance: While Kazuko and Momoyo are also technically Yamato's childhood friends, those aspects of their character are usually downplayed. Miyako, however, is defined by this about as much as her stalking behavior.
- Hold Up Your Score: She does this at times with a red sign that says "10 GOOD!!"
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: In pretty much every route that's not hers will wholeheartedly support Yamato's new-found relationship - though it's also revealed that in every single one of these paths, she'll spend the rest of her life waiting for Yamato - a particularly poignant case of Unlucky Childhood Friend.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
- Nerves of Steel
- Nonstandard Game Over: If Yamato fails to get the girl of the route he's on, he will most of the time end up with Miyako. You can even end up with her for picking joke options like complimenting her while on Chris' route.
- The game even lampshades at least one of them: "You remembered to save, right!?"
- The Quiet One: By default
- Single-Target Sexuality: Sneers at the advances of men other than Yamato. She's much too focused on Yamatohim to notice them and refuses to move on after he starts dating other girls.
- Stalker with a Crush: Largely played for laughs, but her behavior can also come across as quite creepy at times.
- The Tease: When she's in, intimate situations, with Yamato (like when waking him up in the morning).
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Christiane "Chris" Friedrich
Chris joins the story shortly after it begins as a new transfer student. She has immense devotion to her father, a fixation on justice and chivalry, a gullible streak a mile wide and a rather excitable nature. Due to her disapproval of what she sees as cheap tricks, she and Yamato frequently clash. She joins the Kazama Family not long after moving into the town.
- Bad Liar
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: with Yamato.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef - Once tried to mix cola when she tries to fry pork.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- Lady of War
- Ojou: Chris is often referred to as one by the other members of the family, though she gets better, particularly in her own path.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: As Miss Kishido. She's convinced that it's a perfect disguise. Sadly, Wanko, Gakuto and Hazama are all fooled by it and Momoyo only sees through it because she can't hide her aura.
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Spoiled Sweet: It doesn't come up much outside her own route, but Chris really doesn't know how to do anything for herself nor does she properly grasp the value of money.
Yukie "Mayucchi" Mayuzumi
A first year student with terrible self esteem, a cell phone strap as her best friend and a terrifying glare when nervous, Mayucchi desires friends more than anything else. Contrary to her meek behavior and appearance, she's actually a master swordsman. She joins the group shortly after the story begins when she finally musters the courage to ask the Kazama Family to be her friends. She later makes friends with a new transfer student.
- Apologetic Attacker
- Badass Adorable: Can hold her own against Momoyo.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When Kosugi talks bad about Iyo, Yukie knocks her out in one blow and gives her a wound that will take a month of recovery. Oh, and the heartwarming CG with Yukie and Iyo that happens right after? There are bloodstains on Yukie's shirt.
- Consulting Mister Puppet: She does this with her cell phone strap, Matsukaze.
- Covert Pervert
- Girlish Pigtails
- Hot Chick with a Sword
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- In-Series Nickname: Mayucchi
- Lady of War
- Motor Mouth: When she's embarrassed.
- No Social Skills
- Self-Deprecation: She is humble to the point of doing this, constantly trying to make herself useful to others in order to make friends. She eventually gets called out on it (by Gakuto of all people), leading to Character Development.
- Shrinking Violet: She admits having difficulty mixing in or making friends with others in the anime. Possibly related to her Self-Deprecation.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: one of the most feminine female character in the story.
Shoichi "Cap" Kazama
The actual leader of the group, Kazama is extremely impulsive and rather scatterbrained, but he also possesses immense charm, luck and recognition by the universe as the main character, which allows him to succeed despite the odds against him when the situation is sufficiently dramatic. He is quite popular with girls, but is entirely unaware of it as he's completely disinterested in them himself.
- The Ace: Handsome, have good attitude, kind, good at fighting (while still weaker compared to most female character), great instinct etc.
- Born Lucky: Has extraordinary luck and very often wins various lotteries or gambles.
- Chaste Hero: No, he doesn't know that he was invited to a date by Chika at all. He only thought it was an eat-all-you-can time for him.
- The Hero: for Kazama Family, which is ironic as Yamato supposed to be the main character.
- The Leader
- Estrogen Brigade Bait: Chika apparently is thrilled to see him only in his trunks.
A large and musclebound student, Gakuto tends to receive little respect. He strives for strength and to get girls and achieves some success at the former and none at the latter. He joined the Kazama Family at the same time as Moro after a lengthy fight with Kazama.
- Calling Your Attacks: HANDSOME LARIAT!!!
- Throw the Dog a Bone: While he never really gets acknowledged for it by others, the story occasionally does show that while he's no match for any named martial artists in the story he's actually very strong.
Takuya "Moro" Morooka
The final member of the Kazama Family and likely the least prominent, Moro is one of the few rational thinkers of the group. He is neither particularly popular nor unpopular which at least saves him from being the butt of gags like Gakuto.
- Attractive Bent Gender: He can convincingly pull it off. So much that Yamato got really squicked from it.
- Only Sane Man: Actively engaged in Boke and Tsukkomi Routine with most of the Kazama Family
- Unrequited Love: Appears to be in love with Miyako, but unfortunately even on the routes where she fails to win Yamato over he gets a gentle brushoff.
An unofficial member of sorts, Cookie is an egg shaped household robot that takes care of several domestic tasks. He has the ability to transform into a more battle worthy form and a smaller egg form that at least claims it is more intelligent. Both alternate forms appear to have different personalities.
- Robot Buddy: Can change into 3 forms: an R2D2 like form (usually when acting as a Robot Maid), an egg-shaped mini robot (usually as an advisor or scout), and a Laser Blade wielding Terminator type when sparring or going to battle.
- Shipper on Deck: Actively supports Miyako/Yamato.
- Mundane Utility: A hyper complex robot capable of understanding human emotions,
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: No, robots are not that common in this series, but his existence is still rarely commented upon.
Tadakatsu "Gen-san" Minamoto
Gen is one of the members of Yamato's dorm. He tends towards surliness, but is actually quite a nice guy. He's also popular with girls, but to Usami's consternation displays no interest in them, though he admits to Yamato there's someone he likes.
- Estrogen Brigade Bait: When he was only wearing trunks, Chika apparently wants him.
- Tsundere: Yamato even plays with and lampshades it in his face once.
Gen: "I'll Make you more tea. But..."
Yamato: "I know, we won't get you wrong".
Gen: "Good that you understand. It's not for your sake."
An unathletic member of class 2F, Suguru scorns the real world, especially real women. He's intelligent and calculating to an extent, but a complete otaku to the core.
- Otaku: To a ridiculous, amazing and hilarious degree.
A short, monkey like member of class 2F. His raging perversion puts even the likes of Gakuto to shame.
- In-Series Nickname: Yonpachi, or forty eight. He got this name for memorizing all 48 positions of the Kama Sutra.
- Lovable Sex Maniac
A massive but kind member of class 2F, Kuma is actually pretty physically powerful. Due to being a rather nice guy and knowing all about food, he has a lot of friends.
- Big Eater
- Berserk Button: He can get kind of unpleasant if he goes too long without eating.
- Gentle Giant
- Nice Guy
- Stout Strength
Mayo is the short, pink haired class representative. Despite her tiny size and the fact that no one takes her seriously, she views herself as the Cool Big Sis type. She has a sub route in the Visual Novel.
- Class Representative: Subverted, as she's really no good at it. Despite her effort.
- Older Than They Look
- Token Mini-Moe
A pretty and popular girl in class 2F, Chika is more or less a standard teenager. While generally being a fairly nice person, there are both boys and girls that don't like her and she responds in kind. She has a sub route in the Visual Novel.
A somewhat unpleasant girl in class 2F, Haguro tends to be the butt of jokes when Gakuto and the others aren't available. She has little in the way of sympathetic moments, but during Momo's route she sacrifices herself in the war game to protect 2F's flag and is beaten unconscious for her efforts.
- Butt Monkey: Though not to the same extent as the likes of Gakuto.
- Darkskinned Blonde: Ganguro variant
- Really Gets Around
- Vocal Dissonance: She has a low boyish voice.
Hideo is a loud, brash member of class 2S and its class representative. He is both strong and intelligent, but his hamminess leads to the story not taking him very seriously. He is in love with Wanko due to her admiring her passion.
- Big Damn Heroes: He comes to the rescue in the nick of time for the climactic fight of the Ryuuzetsuran route.
- Gag Penis
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- X Marks the Hero: Like everyone else in his family.
- Large Ham
- Testosterone Poisoning
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
Hideo's bodyguard and maid, she's also quite a powerful fighter.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: When Hideo isn't watching, she tends to be foul mouthed and cruel.
- Combat Pragmatist: She's quite strong, but she also sets traps and attacks people quite deviously.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's not as bad she appears and is genuinely devoted to Hideo.
- Meido: Head of the Kuki servants and Hideo's bodyguards.
- Ninja Maid: Complete with clones, kunai and poison.
- Older Than They Look: She's in her late 20s (actually older than Ume-sensei), but blends in with the other high school girls.
An intelligent and handsome schemer, Touma largely serves as the brains of class 2S. He is just as sneaky as Yamato and the two appear to enjoy their rivalry.
- The Big Bad: He's the Mallord that is hinted at throughout the various scenarios, that Shakado & Ryuuhei report to. He's finally revealed in the Ryuuzetsuran route.
- Bi the Way: Has admitted to being so.
- The Charmer
- Depraved Bisexual: His presentation shifts between this and a more casual Bi the Way sort of attitude.
- The Rival
- The Strategist: Class S's, making him and Yamato natural rivals.
Koyuki is a rather pretty but detached girl that clings to both Touma and Jun. She appears quite lost without them. Beneath the pretty exterior, she seems quite unhinged.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Many hints of her athleticism are dropped in the various scenarios, and hell, the opening of the game. In the Ryuuzetsuran route, you see she's a Tae-Kwon Do master who can kick the crap out of Miyako, at least for a while, and even fought off Mayucchi for a little while.
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Strange Girl
Jun is one of the most normal members of the cast, lolicon tendencies aside. He's quite strong, fast and coolheaded, but due to said lolicon tendencies the story frequently makes him the butt of jokes.
- Butt Monkey: Gets playfully abused by Momo and Azumi, mostly for his Lolicon tendancies.
- Chivalrous Pervert: While a self-admitted Lolicon he limits himself to watching, when he encountered an actual Lolicon who tried to take advantage of a little girl he chased him away.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He's almost as fast as Kazama. In the Ryuuzetsuran route, he's shown to be a very strong boxer who wiped the floor with Kazama, and then took on both Kazama & Hideo at the same time!
- Only Sane Man: Putting aside his lolicon tendencies, he is the only "normal" person in class S and also the only one that have friendly relationship with member of class F.
A bratty and childish member of class 2S, Kokoro is quite aware that nobody really takes her seriously and that she's frequently laughed at. While haughty, she's actually nicer than she seems. She is surprisingly competent in a fight, but she always cries when she loses.
- Butt Monkey
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's a crybaby who fails more than she succeeds. Despite that, she's still a capable fighter who fits well in the S class.
- Cry Cute: Most notably one time in the anime, after she trips. Yamato even comments that she looks cute. Cue Cupid's arrow.
- Hime Cut
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Most of the time. She has some successes, both for and against the protagonist's side.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Does it pretty often as expected of the family she's part of.
- Odango/Girlish Pigtails
- Ojou: Yamato apparently has his own ways of dealing with that in the sequel.
- Promoted to Love Interest: In the sequel. However, it is possible to get a Nonstandard Game Over with her in one of the routes in the original game.
Sent by Chris's father to ensure nothing bad happened to her. Though placed in a different class, Margit is highly protective of Chris. She and Chris view each other as sisters. She is one of the strongest members of the cast.
- Blood Knight
- Catch Phrase / Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: Hasen Jagd!
- Fiery Redhead
- Gratuitous German
- Hot Amazon
- Promoted to Love Interest: In the sequel.
- Willfully Weak: Wears her Eyepatch of Power as a self-inflicted disadvantage. Otherwise, fights are too easy. Doubles as I Am Not Left-Handed when she takes it off.
Gakuto's mother, she is in her late 40s and quite prone to flattery. She's also quite a kind woman, but can be quite scary.
The homeroom teacher for class 2F, she carries a whip at all times and is perfectly willing to use it on students. She gets away with it being his by a hot teacher apparently awakens the target's masochistic side. She is also quite a strong fighter.
Usami is the second major teacher at the school and has quite the air of a deadbeat. However, he gives very practical, down to earth advice and is surprisingly strong. He is apparently in love with his fellow teacher Umeko, though he never makes any progress despite her search for a proper boyfriend.
A new transfer student, Iyo is Mayucchi's first friend outside the Kazama family. She is a major baseball fan. While she does not seem to appear outside of Mayucchi's route, her existence is occasionally briefly alluded to, implying that she makes friend with Mayucchi regardless of Yamato's assistance.
A brash and arrogant first year student, Kosugi tries to pick fights and intends to be the strongest student in the school. She dismisses Mayucchi as being a worthy opponent, which is really all you need to know about her ability to evaluate her own competence relative to others.
Coupled with Momoyo, Ageha and Mayucchi she is the last member of Japan's Big Four, the group that represents the strongest fighters in Japan.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Alto
- Handicapped Badass
- Les Yay: With Saki in particular.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
- Adult Child: She also gets treated a bit like a child even though she's not the youngest of her siblings. Shakadou doesn't even make her train with her sisters.
- Not like she needs it though.
- Badass Long Hair
- Bash Sisters: With Benkei in Tsubame's route. Really not an Odd Friendship when you think about it.
- The Berserker
- Berserk Button: Take Yamato away, or essentially imply anything negative about him towards her and you are in for a world of hurt.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She just wants to be with Yamato and her siblings. Don't try to mess with that.
- Beware the Silly Ones
- Boobs of Steel
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Cloudcuckoolander: But compared to the rest of her family, she's probably the most normal.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Death Glare: And combined with Vader Breath. This is the sign that's she's gone berserk.
- The Ditz
- Eyes Always Shut
- Green Eyes: Which become Glowing Eyes of Doom when she goes berserk. Complete with Hellish Pupils.
- It's a good contrast to Momoyo's red.
- Improvised Weapon: She rips a sign out of the ground to use on Chris and Wanko.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Made of Iron: She'll take any blow and get right back up without any discernible pain or difficulty.
- Which is your first hint to how strong she really is.
- Madness Mantra
- Not So Harmless: Yeah, just ignore the sleepy one.
- Oh Crap: When she gets serious, this isn't only Chris and Wanko's reaction. Even Mayucchi and Momoyo can feel Tatsuko's power all the way from the bridge.
- You'll most likely have this reaction too.
- Promoted to Love Interest: In the sequel.
- Screaming Warrior: Be careful that the volume isn't too high during that scene.
- Sleepyhead: She sleeps all the time. Overlaps with Heavy Sleeper.
- Hell, she met Yamato in the first place by seeing him sleeping on the riverbank and joining him.
- The Load: She appears to be this to her sisters. But really, she far outweighs all of her siblings combined.
- Theme Music Power-Up: March of a Beast. Oh yeah.
- Unskilled but Strong
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: She nearly trashes her own brother for messing with Yamato. The Tranquil Fury and Creepy Monotone obviously has him terrified.
- Yandere: Shades of it.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Prime Minister Souga
The Prime Minister of Japan. He is often seen around the Kawakami temple or the river, but most people assume that he's just someone who looks similar, a mistake that he encourages. He's a competent martial artist and a genuinely good guy.
- Norio Wakamoto
- Sniper Duel: In Yukie's route. Takes out an enemy sniper during the King of Soldier competition.
A former assistant master at Kawakami, Shakadou is an extremely strong fighter but was too brutal for the tastes of their tastes and was fired. He and Momoyo appear to get along well due to their fixation on fighting.
- Evil Mentor: Was essentially this for Momoyo, who got along well with him before he was expelled from the Kawakami Temple for "attitude" problems.
- He also has a generally dark appearance, and even his Battle Aura is black.
- Evil Counterpart: To Lu. This is even pointed out with Momoyo's attitude towards fighting and techniques-who learned from Shakadou-when compared to Wanko's, who learned from Lu. With Shakadou and Momoyo taking a nearly Might Makes Right approach with a focus on techniques with more overwhelming power, while Lu and Wanko have a far more balanced approach overall.
- Punch Clock Villain: Most of the time he's just sort of hired by others to accomplish some task or another. When his job is complete, he peacefully leaves. After all, he has no real investment in what's going on.
- Villains Out Shopping: Along with his students, the Itagaki siblings. It doesn't stop him from being a Jerkass, but if he's not hired to beat you to a pulp, he can actually be a relatively friendly guy. He's still pretty scary though.
Introduced in Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai S
- Combat Pragmatist: Uses a variety of weapons, switching for the need.
- At her worst though, you might think she's beginning to fight dirty.