|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
It was said --
There was a mansion that rested on top of a hill, and within it there lived two witches.
It is the late 1980s. Rumors of a witch living inside an old mansion circulate in the city. Unbeknownst to observers, living inside the mansion is an actual witch, Alice Kuonji, a stoic woman and a magus hiding in the present day. Under her tutelage studies Aoko Aozaki, a high school student studying magecraft as the head of the Aozaki family. As magi, the two of them secretly fight any threat that enters their town.
Things start to change when a young man unfamiliar with city life, Shizuki Soujuurou, enters their lives. Slowly, he affects the lives of these two magi. And so their story begins...
Mahou Tsukai no Yoru - Witch on the Holy Night is a Visual Novel set in the Nasuverse. Originally a five hundred-page novel penned by Kinoko Nasu, it was never publicly released and only a handful of copies were distributed. It was announced for a visual novel remake on 2008, but it got stuck in Development Hell several times before finally being released on April 12, 2012. A translation of the demo text can be read here.
Unlike the other Type-Moon visual novels, Mahoyo is a linear novel with no branching plot lines. It is also Type-Moon's first all-ages visual novel.
This visual novel contains examples of:
- Animorphism: Lugh can take either the form of a pretty boy or a Big Badass Wolf.
- Backstory: The entire novel revolves around the high school life of Aoko, a major character in Tsukihime and Melty Blood.
- Badass: Given. It's Nasuverse, after all.
- Badass Normal: Shizuki.
- Big Badass Wolf: Lugh Beowulf
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Shizuki literally break his arm punching Lugh.
- Child Soldier: Shizuki came from the same organization as Souichirou, from Fate Stay Night
- Country Mouse: Shizuki.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Shizuki takes down Lugh, a two thousand years old Nature Spirit who not even Aoko could defeat, by punching him in the heart and hitting his back with an elbow blow.
- Familiar: Lugh to Touko.
- Golem: Alice has one. Touko has... some.
- Half the Man He Used To Be: Shizuki. But he got better
- Idiot Hero: Shizuki. The guy is just plain clueless.
- Kung Fu Wizard: Aoko.
- Marionette Master: Touko.
- Nigh Invulnerability: Lugh No Sell a kick that could break a tree in half.
- Nursery Rhyme: Alice uses it as enchantations for her magic.
- The Eighties
- Fairy Tale Motifs: Alice's magic revolves around fairy tales and nursery rhymes.
- Playboy Bunny: Aoko gets to use one in an Extra Scene. Maybe a compensation for the lack of H.
- Reset Button: Aoko uses her time manipulating Magic to make so that Shizuki's death never occurred
- Sibling Rivalry: A very ugly one between Aoko and Touko over the succession of the family magecraft.
- The Stoic: Alice is described as such. She barely shows any emotion, but seems to have warmed up to Aoko and Shizuki.
- Time Master: Whoever controls the Fifth Magic.
- Tsundere: Aoko to Shizuki.
- Witch Species